Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 01:55
I feel like there's a better way to go about this. Players who wouldn't normally abandon when getting razed back to the newb ring are now far more likely to do so. I propose that a player must build a library in their town after getting razed in order to unlock the razed city's research. This would stop the recapturing of 0 pop cities but would still allow people to rebuild more easily after getting destroyed.
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 02:16
Artefore, I mean no offense, but that's a kludge to prevent an exploit, which itself exists to counter an absurdity.

At some point, it's just necessary to consider why something is being done that way at all.
jcx View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 03:18
O.o - will this impact if you capture cities?
Disclaimer: The above is jcx|orcboy's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of Harmless? [H?] or of the little green men that have been following him all day.

jcx in H? | orcboy in H?
Ashmadia View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashmadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 03:39
While it is a rightful change balance-wise, i agree that it is a severe hit for an active player razed constantly to nothing. Maybe a counter could be implemented along with this change, counting down how many times the city's research is transfered.

Perhaps if you allowed the research to transfer, so long as these pre-requisites are met:
1) The account is active (building, not just logging). Abandoned account is disqualified for research transfer. Or even a city respawn at all.
2) The countdown is lower than the maximum set. Say, a maximum of 3.

Now someone could argue that all this is pointless, cause if someone wants to drive another out of the game he would just not stop doing it. I think the community can draw red lines (it already has) and can allow someone to continue playing, if he/she so desires, by sheltering him from extinction.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 08:05
I think that something was necessary to prevent the current practice of repeatedly recapturing cities with all research completed, especially now that the city limit has been increased.  Unfortunately many of the folks who would most benefit from this have already done so.

I do NOT like the effect on the player whose last cities are eliminated.  However, once these folks rebuild to a city with a level 20 barracks, they can capture other cities with completed research, so hopefully some of these folks will still have the courage and persistence to stay in the game.

As an alternative, perhaps a mechanic could be designed so that such a relocated city could not be captured but could only be razed?  Or maybe the "last" city of any player could not be captured but could only be razed?  That seems like it would be possible to code and would not be as likely to be exploited.  People could still "punish" a player they don't like by destroying their final city, but they just couldn't benefit from it.

This would eliminate the potential exploit while still allowing players in this position to enjoy the research they have completed.
Malek View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 11:03
People keep looking at this so called exploit, it is not an exploit. It was a creative use of game mechanics. Not the first time this has occurred and it wont be the last time either. 

What people are not looking at is the root cause for this type of activity. It boils down to how long, tedious and anti competitive research is. You fix that, the game will be a hell of a lot more enjoyable. As there is nothing worse than going to do something and you have not done the research then seeing how long it takes to do the research just adds to the frustration.  

This wont bother most people as most play farmville and wont risk their precious cities. 
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 12:59
I think what sec failed to considered was that changing this important secret will create unforeseen consequences...my concern is that other secrets fairly discovered and used by players will also be changed by the devs; it was something many of us enjoyed about the game...the ability to use different functions and methods to give us an edge over others...something else I find discouraging is that this secret has always been there and was available for all players to discover and use as are the other many secrets we are using...it just takes a lot of planning and yes teamwork to put into action...it demanded active playing..it was a benefit for the active player which we need more of....I hope the devs reconsider
Agalloch View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 14:46
Well this does suck , personally i became involved in the war with the  full understanding I may end up re spawning (since i have no clue what i am doing :P ) but with the reassurance that i ll still have some of the work i have put into it with items stored in hubs and all that tedious research that I ve spend months in my settled towns waiting for me now if that does happen I will most likely not bother to ....
My two cents...
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 18:49
Originally posted by Agalloch Agalloch wrote:

Well this does suck...
no argument. there are ways to counter the problem, but most will break down if alts are involved, and all require stealing time from AoA, which i doubt the devs are willing to do. i suggest you assuage your sense of loss by finding the players who were not-exploiting this rule and demonstrating your unhappiness about it.  ;)

for good or ill, that is the only remedy the sandbox provides us.

Edited by Angrim - 04 Jul 2015 at 18:51
Dravin the Sloth View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dravin the Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 08:15
as a newish player, i think it is a nice new thing.  

the first mention of it by a player who claims to have made use of the old practice referred to it as a trick.

the appeal of a safety net is nice, but you only need a net if you fall.  usually when things fall, there is a splat.  

do i dread the thought of a thirty day research? well, i'm not a masochist, so yes.  did i hate cuing up that blasted twelve day? again, with the yes, but my heart sang a little when it finished and knowing that such things exist, beyond the reach of tricks to supersede, bringing a speck of balance between newish players such as myself and the ancient goliaths that stroll so effortlessly across GC and the map, also plays a little tune in the recesses of my heart.

i like the pace the research brings to the game.  i like that social competency and proficient city building can be rewarded above knowing the quirks in the system.  i like that work trumps tricks. 

Edited by Dravin the Sloth - 05 Jul 2015 at 08:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic