Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

03JUL15 - No More Research Technology Carry Over

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Ashmadia View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashmadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 19:02
I think that we all have already spotted something even more important than this change: the uselessness of settling opposite to the extreme usefulness of capturing.
Perhaps the reason behind that huge difference is the need to cause friction, by rewarding that gameplay but in my opinion it has utterly failed: only abandoneds and inactives are the targets of the mechanism. I will go off-topic to explain why a true warrior would need to lose more than 1 cities to actually make the requirement to capture another or how insane he would be to start a war with the hopes of capturing a few cities while risking to lose some in the process.

It is a pretty straightforward necessity in my opinion. Make settling transfer the completed research and keep removing exploits from the game. Allow Malek (mentioned as a reference point) to be competitive while refraining from discovering and exploiting mechanisms to actually be at all competitive.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2015 at 19:12
Originally posted by Malek Malek wrote:

To me it appears that the people that take the military path in this game are penalised the most.
loss is penalised, full stop. if military players were the only ones to lose cities, we'd not have the faction that thinks war ought to be limited to willing participants.

If I can cap a town to get full tech I will, I do not care 1 iota about research, it hinders my gameplay in being able to achieve the desired result.
absolutely nothing here has hindered that tactic at all.

There are still a lot of vets that play that have been here for a number of years and have up to 10 or so established cities. How are newer players able to compete on an even keel with these guys?The research is what holds them back in building towns able to compete as each town that is settled needs to start from scratch. With the new sat account rule, there will be a steady decline in high researched cities as the town base in the game shrinks.
all true, but when you express concern that "newer players" can't compete, what you really mean is "newer players with gobs of money" can't compete...because the build times alone would keep free-to-play players, military or otherwise, down for quite some time. this is an aspect of the way the game scales. there is also a tiny fraction of available research that is required for a military city, so i really don't see it as the burden you think it is. it *is* a brake. it is not crippling, or else illy would have no military players.

i am already bored with research
seriously? you think someone else finds it intellectually stimulating? i don't think this is limited to military players.

research could be overhauled, i don't think much of 30d research projects...but fully researching a city is a 3-year affair, and the two months you quote here simply does not seem worth the rant in the scope of the game. it means, specifically, that you could lose and rebuild a city 18 times in the time it takes one builder-type player to fully research theirs. i'm all for adjusting the scale of the game such that three- or four-city players could be militarily consequential. granting every city full research does not achieve that.
Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 14:48
While I agree that this is a bad change, I really doubt it will be reverted. In 4 years of playing, I have yet have to see DEVs admitting to making a mistake.

So Cynical Me is not going to add more words apart from saying this is a very bad choice.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 15:20
its hurts military slightly....it hurts other areas of the game more....it primarily hurts the ability of attracting new players and maintaining the interest of current players....the game needs players actively playing....brakeing functions discourages that...chat games seldom attract large amounts of players when the chatter is not game related..there are still other tricks in game to bypass research...just look at number of accounts being held that pass delete time....rolls eyes at the devs....but please don't change that....it will only hurt the game more

Edited by twilights - 07 Jul 2015 at 15:21
Agalloch View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Agalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 16:32
I totally agree with most of what Malek mentioned , on another side note if the current game changes were meant to attract more active military players it has failed miserably, even tho i been playing only about 6 months or so i still see about 500 to 600 active players that hasn't changed one iota from where I am sitting.
Venita View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Venita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 02:57
Bit late on my comments, but then I do not log into the forum very often.  I agree with Malek on the research time.  I enjoy military play style and am not afraid to lose a city.  This is a military game afterall.   I cannot remember the last time I actually sent settlers out, I always seige my next city, and the reason I do so is BECAUSE of the research.  Once I have seiged it , the buildings are knocked down anyway. 

Devs please consider cutting that research time down.   
Romogash View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romogash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 18:03
I agree to this change, gives more of an incentive to raze and keep opponents down and out.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 14:11
Originally posted by Venita Venita wrote:

Bit late on my comments, but then I do not log into the forum very often.  I agree with Malek on the research time.  I enjoy military play style and am not afraid to lose a city.  This is a military game afterall.   I cannot remember the last time I actually sent settlers out, I always seige my next city, and the reason I do so is BECAUSE of the research.  Once I have seiged it , the buildings are knocked down anyway. 

Devs please consider cutting that research time down.   
I think there's some misunderstanding here...

You can still siege a city and capture it, with all its research intact, and make use of that research in your newly captured city.  

Sieging cities to get their research is exactly as it used to be. 

However, when a player's *very last* city is sieged (and captured) that city won't *respawn* elsewhere on the map with all the research still intact (to be sieged *again*). 

The long and short is that you can still siege and capture cities to get research.  What you can no longer do is stamp out carbon-copies of a fully-researched city by chasing a player's last city around the map repeatedly.

Hope that helps.

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 30 Jul 2015 at 14:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic