illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smorgasboarding: Pros and Cons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane DarkMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 23:46
Illyriad is a game of diplomacy.  How one acts on the forums and in GC can have consequences in the game.  So avoiding such consequences is a BIG part of being a good player.  It's even more important for an alliance leader or someone who hopes to someday become one.   If you say things publicly and constantly that piss a lot of people off, you are basically sealing your own fate.  Publicly accusing an alliance of thieving with little evidence would be a move that could cause such a severe reaction..  aj wasn't bullied or "smorgasboarded", he just felt in-game consequences directly related to his own actions.  I see no reason why this should upset people!
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 01:48
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

So definitions are not arbitrary things to just throw around and we are not the Cheshire cat who famously said, "A word can mean whatever I want it to mean, nothing more, nothing less."

And, to be precise, you may not consider claiming land in the sandbox is "bullying" but according the definition I've provided in an earlier post, it is.  It uses intimidation, threats and, while I'm not certain it, occasional coercion, to get control of what should be available to all.

Do you ever find your own irony painful, or is intellectual consistency just kinda lost on you?

So from the dictionary:  Trash Talk: "insulting or boastful speech intended to demoralize, intimidate, or humiliate someone, especially an opponent in an athletic contest."

I like the Wikipedia definition for Trash-Talk:

Trash-talk is a form of boast or insult commonly heard in competitive situations, (such as sports events and multiplayer video games). It is often used to intimidate the opposition, but can also be used in a humorous spirit. Trash-talk is often characterized by use of hyperbole or figurative language.

Let's see if I can come up with a few examples of you using hyperbole in the context of your philosophical opponents in this multiplayer video game:

I believe that land claims are a form of bullying.

But if it would be unfair to allow a large player to intimidate, threaten and coerce a small and new player, why is it okay for a larger alliance (or alliances) to intimidate, threaten and coerce small alliances and individual players?

But of course, given the strategic advantage the technique has, it is doubtful any alliance will give up such an advantage even if it means that Illy becomes a sandbox of bullies and the bullied....kind bullies maybe, but bullies nevertheless.

It is restricting to some players to be intimidated, threatened and coerced...that is definitely restrictive.

You can only make it stick if you are big enough to intimidate, threaten or coerce, OR, you actually put the cities there fast enough and spread out enough to keep other out...the method allowed in the game.

Be smart, work hard and make your claim, just don't try to use intimidation, threats and coercion as they are not in the spirit of a fair and honest competition...unless you agree that "might makes right."

Intimidation, threats, and coercion should not have a place outside of actual warfare in Illy and then only between alliances and individuals actually willing to go to war....which few are.

And this is how the larger alliances seem to think it should be done: make a claim for an area and threaten, intimidate and coerce anybody who is too small to contest it.

Land claims are intimidation.  Intimidation is not a friendly gesture.  Nor are threats.  And if a threat is carried out, it's not friendly either.

Let's see what that means to the small alliances, to the individuals, to those who do not have the power to force their views upon other through threat, intimidation and coercion...

Will the claims lead to more opportunities for individuals and alliances to grow freely and without control, coercion or intimidation?

Finally, why does there have to be "tension," with the accompanying threats, intimidation, and coercion for these war liking players to go to war?

You don't see anything wrong with intimidation, threats and coercion by large alliances as such behaviors are "the natural extension of the game" but you want to restrict the "abuse" of newbies?

So the only advantage of the land claim rule would be to give the larger alliances more power to intimidate, threaten and coerce as they see fit...ever so politely, of course.

How nice...a magical kingdom where bullying doesn't exist because, well, there is no intimidation, threats or coercion....or at least it's just part of the "game play."

Maybe they are starting to think they are "losing" the debate and out of the same fear that motivates bullies on the playground to double down when confronted.

You characterized the land claim players (whom you very clearly oppose) as bullies who use threats, intimidation, and coercion. You did it at least sixteen different times.

Achievement Unlocked: Dead horse, beaten thrice!

Oh look, I found two more mentions!

Achievement Unlocked: Thrice beaten dead horse, twice beaten thrice!

Given your insulting characterizations of your opponents over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, I'm just going to go ahead and correctly conclude that you've been trash talking.

But since terms do have meaning and that meaning is best adjudicated by a dictionary I would suggest that you should produce said evidence or an apology for your understandable mistake.

I just went ahead and took the "evidence" route, hope that's okay.

I do agree with Rill.  Let us discuss the relationship between the forum and the "in game" aspect.  If we allow that they are the same thing, as Rikoo seems to think, then there is a price to be paid for saying things others either disagree with or get upset by.  In the end it would seem only those strong enough will be free to express their opinion as the rest may find it just too costly.

Or you could just learn to express public disagreement without the use of insulting hyperbole like your "intimdation, threats, and coercion" trash talk. Over the years I have disagreed strongly with many powerful people on this forum, and nobody has ever really harassed me in the game. Angrim and many others have done the same. If you have been subjected to in-game consequences from posting on this Illyriad forum, perhaps you should consider the methods by which you make (or completely fail to make) your points.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 02:25
Jane,

When you said: "Publicly accusing an alliance of thieving with little evidence" you obvioiusly did not read the post completely or look at the available evidence.  The post specifically says I was not accusing anybody of thieving.  Read the post.  I merely laid out the evidence I had and told people they could draw their own conclusions.  That you thought the evidence pointed to thieving is the only way you could say I accused anybody of thieving.  Thus the evidence presented was sufficient for you to draw a conclusion I did not draw.  You can't have it both ways.  You can't say the evidence was "little" at the same time you say it was "enough" for a person to draw a particular conclusion (valid or not).

In addition, if the alliance in question thought the evidence so poor, why did they think I had accused them?  I can call you a marshmallow but nobody would take me seriously unless I had a picture of you in a "Stay Puff" bag (LOL)  My point is that the evidence was strong enough that a LOT of people thought it led to the accusation you thought I was making.... and if so, then obviously the evidence was not "little"

I will admit here and now that the evidence was not conclusive.  But it was never presented that way and in the post I said the evidence was not complete AND that I was NOT accusing anybody.  I will also admit that the structure of the presentation was not neutral enough to and tended to lead others to a conclusion that fell short of proof.  I regret that I did not reflect myself enough on the wording and should have either not made the post of taken it to a different place for review.

But even so, whatever a person says in the forum ought to be dealt with in the forum.  I'm quite certain that if I were accused of this I would have done my homework and presented an alternative theory to show that the evidence presented could reach a different conclusion and THEN asked the poster to amend his or her post.  And if I had been presented with that scenario (the alternative explanation did come long after other actions were taken) I would have sheepishly amended my post and admitted my mistakes.

But that is not the procedure some people think to use.  Instead of doing themselves justice and making their case in the forums (and in doing so the weakness of the original argument) they choose display their own apparent belief that they have no good counter argument by using "other means" to "win"the debate.  This approach is nothing more than the same thuggery you experience when you are in a debate in RL and the person with whom you are debating decides they can't win and threatens you.  It is obviously not as serious a threat, but it's the same basic threat.  I would say to anybody who doesn't have the stomach for good debate and the self-discipline to stick to the question and make their case, don't get into the debate. 

There is no excuse for bullying people just because you can't counter their arguments with better arguments.  The force of arms ought not be the final arbiter of good debate for when it is all who speak are threatened.  If you wish to speak you ought to remember that the first step to silencing everybody is to silence the best and the loudest.  

AJ
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane DarkMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 03:13
I stand by my statements, you should have never brought the thieving to the forums.  It's terrible diplomacy.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 03:42
Jane,

Did you read my post? Did I not say I should have taken my evidence to my alliance? 

As for it being "terrible diplomacy" did you really expect me to be a master diplomat?  LOL  Ask my wife and she will disavow my abilities in that area.

How about you admit that other than making my case in public and not presenting it well, both of which I have admitted, you may have over stated your case.  I notice you don't respond to my claim that the evidence was not "little."  I suspect you don't because it wasn't.  And if it wasn't then my only fault was in being a poor diplomat.  Mea Culpa.

And on that note, is it really good diplomacy to get on the side that says, "I'm pissed off so that justifies whatever I want to do?"...which is what you seem to be saying.  I wouldn't want to be on side that says emotions are the final arbiter of right and wrong. 

AJ
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane DarkMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 03:44
I'm not on that side.  I just think by arguing with more and more people you are digging yourself deeper and deeper and it's really hard to watch.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 04:05
Brandmeister,

Well, at least you tried.

In debate you can't simply call everything the other side is saying "trash talk" and pretend it fits the definition. Using your own definition here:

Trash-talk is a form of boast or insult commonly heard in competitive situations, (such as sports events and multiplayer video games). It is often used to intimidate the opposition, but can also be used in a humorous spirit. Trash-talk is often characterized by use of hyperbole or figurative language.

with your own additions and emphasis, lets examine what you are saying and see if you've even come close to prooving your point.

First, the argument is about a set of behaviors I classify as "intimidation, threats and coercion" a phrase the shorthand of which is "bullying."  Notice that this is the topic of which almost all the evidence you call "trash talking" is used to support and define this key term.  Just because a phrase is negative does not make it "trash talk" especially if it's what's being debated.

But there's more.

"Insult" is a negative term, defined as: "speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse."  Claiming that the actions inherent in land claims is only disrespectful if you think that "intimidation, threat and coercion" are not applicable AND that these are the techniques being used to enforce land claims.  It is never disrespectful to tell the truth as you understand it...unless you are intending to hurt I suppose.

"often used to intimidate?"  If my talk is intimidating the activity of this thread certainly is strange.  Are you intimidated?  Do you feel like you can't say what you want?  Do you have any reason to fear that even if you accidentally insult me I'm going to send my armies at you?  I think not.

and

"often characterized by use of hyperbole."  Hmmm...this may have a small bit of truth to it...though I think if it does it has only been out of my passionate style.

So, using your definition:  The evidence you present cannot be admitted as "trash talk" because it's part of discussion and if it is "insulting" it's only so if it's untrue ...which is the point we are debating.  Second, nobody seems to be intimidated by my passionate style.  And finally, okay, I may, sometimes, a tiny bit, exaggerate.

Now, for the real evidence of trash talking by myself......I'm waiting.....

AJ

Edited by ajqtrz - 06 Jun 2015 at 04:06
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 04:22
aj, dude, are you buying your shovels in bulk from Costco?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 04:28

The post specifically says I was not accusing anybody of thieving.  Read the post.  I merely laid out the evidence I had and told people they could draw their own conclusions.

But it was never presented that way and in the post I said the evidence was not complete AND that I was NOT accusing anybody.

Calculating the direction I found that they were headed in the direction of 645 -2322, an orc city owned by Chandrian of SIN, called Imladris.

You named a specific player and city. I'd call that an accusation. Admitting that you can't actually prove it was that player doesn't mean you didn't make an accusation, it just means you made an unsubstantiated accusation. Big difference. Leading with the conclusion precludes any right to claim that the evidence was presented in an impartial manner.

You have yet to address the completely substantiated fact that your own alliance recently carried out unprovoked thief missions against eCrow, one of the friendliest alliances in the game. Apparently you believe it is a great crime when you personally suffer a thief attack (provoked, no less), but consider your own theft activities as above reproach. That seems remarkably hypocritical for a person claiming to represent the community's interests against tyrants who would bully, coerce, and intimidate us.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 04:30
Jane,

"[A]voiding such [negative] consequences is a BIG part of being a good player."

Sometimes it is necessary to suffer for the better good.  I neither seek suffering or avoid it out of intimidation...which is what you get when you decide that "avoiding such consequences" is important enough to turn a blind eye to a negative thing going on.

I sense you think I'm being hurt by this encounter.  Other than the unfortunate post about the thieving I wonder why people are so put off by my position?  My suspicions are that I'm facing group think regarding this subject and most groups, when they are forced to rethink something they've never really considered, rebel.  We are intellectually lazy creatures and don't like being challenged.

Along those lines, as I said in another post, the usual pattern is often followed.  First people engage in the debate.  They usually think they've got the answer but generally haven't thought about it for so long (or at all) that they can only repeat the mantras handed down to them by others.

Stage two is the turn to discrediting by attacking the speaker.  Saying he's irrational, overly passionate, is talking trash...etc, etc....because they haven't really set forth an argument strong enough.  Of course such attacks don't actually prove anything other than that the group has run out of steam and is tired of repeating their mantras.

It is at this second stage that a group usually has to make a decision.  Do they get serious about the question at hand or do they force the opposition to shut up by intimidation, threats or coercion?  If the opposition has a good argument one or two things happen.  They grow in their number and a healthy debate ensues.  If not then often they become a lone voice and nobody pays a bit of attention to them.   Or they are kicked out of the group.

My hope is that continuing will naturally raise the number of people willing to speak out.  It's not that land claims are a great evil in themselves, it's that they represent the very thing I detest the most...the unnecessary coercion of a person.  I believe in persuasion, not coercion.  I believe in civil (and passionate) debate not thuggery and armies marching in the night.   I shouldn't have to feel intimidated in this forum  I shouldn't have to worry about "pissing off" a bunch of people.  Good ideas and passionate debate should piss some people off...but it should also remain civil and passionate debate about the issue, not the personality and the failings of one side or the other.

As for my implied "digging myself deeper and deeper," I have to wonder why that is.  It would appear to me that the nice people wouldn't debate like I do.  Nice people are polite and seldom cause any waves.  Nice people sleep away and let things go to pot as they snooze in the shade.  I'm glad I'm not a nice person because I think it's better to do what you can and lose than to do nothing and lose even more.

AJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic