Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Land Claims Bad for Illy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Land Claims Bad for Illy?
    Posted: 16 May 2015 at 18:35

On Land Claims in Illy.

What is a land claim?  It is a individual, alliance, or group of alliances, claiming sovereignty over an area of Illy outside the bounds of the built in sovereignty mechanism and/or the accepted 10square rule.  As such, at this point is may be defined as extra-legal at this point, with some players honoring the rule and some not yet doing so.

The problems I have with all this are three:  How it was done, what it means in the future, and how it does not align with the general values of the Illy community as historically expressed.

The process by which this process was adopted by those alliances adopting it, was unilateral.  There was little to no discussion in the larger forums or GC, and the adoption by those alliances was done as a "fait acompli" with the expectation that there would be little to no resistance, or if there was a determination to war over the right.  Thus, we are faced with a situation in which we must "undo" what has been done if we decide that the new rule is not acceptable, rather than to have avoided this situation by having a good conversation and open discussion before it was done.

In addition, I do not think this new development will bring a greater level of health to the Illy community.

Let us imagine what this may lead to in the future.  Let us say that each of the largest 50 alliances decide to claim some portion of Illy for themselves.  Let us further suppose that they claim an area approximately the same size of the current crop of claims.  In the end this will mean that fifty alliances will hold sovereignty over 95% of Illy, and perhaps the entire thing.  How will this effect the game?   I think in several ways.

First, it will mean that any new players will have a very restricted road to growth and prosperity as they will have to get permission to found cities or join one of those alliances, if they are allowed.

Second, it will mean that ultimately the gathering of resources, the founding of cities, the harvesting of NPC's and all of the various things we can do in an area can be easily restricted by the alliance claiming that area.  There is no half-way for sovereignty...if you are in charge you are in charge.

Third, the area claimed will make the alliance holding that area both a target by larger alliances wanting the area and a "premier" alliance into which most players will wish to move. These "premier" alliances will increasingly dominate the game and make it so that smaller alliances and individuals will need to at least align themselves with them just to survive.  With this the larger "premier" alliances will make having a small or independent alliance meaningless and, should war break out, it will be on a very large scale indeed as these larger alliances drag individuals and smaller ones into the fray as "tribute" for allowing them to settle in the claimed area.  In other words, even if these alliances allow others to settle in "their area" they will soon demand some kind of payment or support.

In summary of my second point I must say that allowing land claims by alliances changes the basic nature of the game from sandbox to a series of kingdoms fighting it out in which no player is exempt and thus no player is truly free to play as he or she desires.  This leads me to my final reason for resisting these claims.

This basic change in the nature of the game effects the attractiveness of Illyriad.

What is the most attractive thing about Illy to new players?  If you said the friendly players, especially the vets, you would, I think, be correct.  And why are the vets so friendly?  Because they have learned that if you want to keep new players you must allow them the freedom to seek their own course and even help them along the way.  This help isn't restricted to resources.  In fact, from what I've read and heard about the beginning of Illy, it entailed real battles to stop other players from raiding new players.  In other words, Illy collectively made war against a philosophy of "might makes right" by exercising their collective might to stop the larger players from attacking the smaller ones.

This attitude of protecting the small from the large so that the smaller can grow and develop as he or she desires is what is at stake.  Illyites decided long before I arrived that they needed to resist the domination of the small by the big on an individual level.  They did so because it was something they envisioned as a unique opportunity to make OUR game what it is....a place were new players are very welcome.  The developers make the mechanics, but in the end, we players make the game. 

Now we are faced with the same problem on a larger scale.  There are alliances who which to take away the sandbox from the smaller alliances and players.  Do not fool yourself into believing that once the land is claimed you will be allowed to play as you wish.  In a war all resources are claimed...including those of "neutral parties." Once the sandbox becomes so small that there is no room for new players or new alliances to play as they wish and where they wish, as all the land is claimed, the very openness and freedom of the game will be lost and it will change into a large alliance dominated war game like so many out there already.  I suspect most of us do not wish to be like those and value the freedom of Illy to settle where  you wish, associate with whom you wish to associate and, in general to be left alone to follow your own path to "victory" as you define it.

There are those who wish to make Illy into something they want it to be.  The sad part is that they are already free to do so within the scope of the game mechanics.  They can "claim" all the land they wish using the 10 square rule and the sovereignty mechanism.  They can make war against any willing individual or alliance they wish.  They don't need this new strategy, so why are they attempting to foist it upon us?  I my opinion the reason they are doing this is because they can't accomplish what they wish to aaccomplish by using the mechanisms already in place.  They are in a hurry and are too disorganized or lazy to simply plant the towns, 19 squares apart fast enough to cover the entire area they wish to "claim." 

So here's what I now suggest you do in response to this presentation.  Answer the points made.  Was there a long and involved discussion about claims by all of Illy before the claims were made?  Will the claims lead to more opportunities for individuals and alliances to grow freely and without control, coercion or intimidation?  Is this new method in keeping with the historic desires of the players?  These are the points made, not that I'm qualified or unqualified to have an opinion, that I'm ignorant or not ignorant, or that you can attack me and do me harm or not.  So please respond to the points made and we'll all learn something.

Thanks

AJ

Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 19:37
I replied to twilights on this earlier today, but let me repeat the History Lesson:
Land Claims are far from new. 

When I was in EE, 3 years ago, an alliance called Fremen Society claimed Fremorn. And they went 'Join us, move, or die' at us. That included 4 EE leaders, including myself at the time. They didn't back it up, but the threat was there.

DARK claimed the Western Realm, and was agressive at it at the start. Two EE Leaders were involved there. One moved his cities away during the Consone War. The other became a Crow in that war.

And then there is Mal Motsha. Three alliances went at it there. They are now joined in DSD.

Abstractdream may remember that TVM (or its predecessor) tried a claim on Ursor.

If you do not want to play ball, do not go to BL. But do not preach on what Illy should be about.

EDIT: the recent land claims I have seen are a lot more friendly than those I mentioned above.

Edited by Captain Kindly - 16 May 2015 at 19:46
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 22:00
we need to change the playing style to meet the new demands of gaining more active players in the game. as anyone can tell by numbers online the old playing style does not meet the expectations of the available playing groups out there nor does it come close to the numbers of players the new system can have playing,,,we got to attract and give what the mmo playing world wants and progress to a more competitive game or waldow in the past which in the new word is failure....if land claims cause tension and competition and increases numbers of active player i am all for it....its best the devs make a non-pvp zone for players that disagree
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 22:31
In response to twilights comment I agree that we need to do what we can to increase the number of players.  We do disagree on how that is best done. 

From the comments it appears Twi would like there to be more "competition," a term many players seem to use as a substitute for "wars."  This is, of course, something very much in line with some people's playing style and if any player wishes to enter into a war against another willing participant I see no reason to restrict them from doing so.  That goes as well for alliances who which to make war.

As for the "playing style" of the past, it meets some peoples desires and not others, as it always has done.  What I don't see is why all those who want there to be wars just don't go out and fight against each other?  If they did that then perhaps all the players to which Twi is referring would stay around and have their kind of fun.

Finally, why does there have to be "tension," with the accompanying threats, intimidation, and coercion for these war liking players to go to war?  Just go to war with the other warriors of the game and leave the rest of us alone for heaven's sake.

Ultimately that is why I'm against the whole land claim thing...it forces those who wish not to make war into reserved areas or at least areas that are not claimed as if warriors have more rights in the sandbox than non-warriors.  In my opinion you wouldn't let kids on a playground decide who gets to play in the swings and who does not and if they tried you would call them bully's...right?  So why allow it here.

So, in the end I don't see why we, collectively, need to change our playing style, when a good number of us could simply do so by agreeing to go to war with each other.

And as a final, "side note" I don't think telling the non-warring citizens of Illy that they must live in certain areas is a reasonable solution.  All that does is tell non-warring players that they are somehow 2nd class citizens.

aj
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 22:36
"If you do not want to play ball, do not go to BL. But do not preach on what Illy should be about."

Here is the irony of CK's statement: "If you do not wish to play ball" means "if you disagree, leave."  It is always a option to leave, but isn't it just as "preachy" to say "leave if you don't like it" as to stand up and say what you really think?

The label "preach" is, in itself, hardly more than name calling since "preaching" is not a positive form of communication in our current society.  So, I ask, if I don't "preach" but simply state my views, will the gentleman actually answer them?

I have stated my views.  It is okay to disagree.  It is okay to disagree strongly, but if you do shouldn't the disagreement be with those views and not with my person?  Shouldn't you engage the points made and refute them?

Now that's preachy!

AJ

phoenixfire View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2015 at 23:25
Originally posted by ajqtrz ajqtrz wrote:

I have stated my views.  It is okay to disagree.  It is okay to disagree strongly, but if you do shouldn't the disagreement be with those views and not with my person?  Shouldn't you engage the points made and refute them?

Now that's preachy!

AJ

except you are doing exactly the opposite of that. Anytime anyone tries to speak civilly with you about this you start an argument and then don't answer their questions. So why should we give you the courtesy of refuting you when you wont answer our questions?
Shûl-nak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith
Warpainter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 05:54
You seem to be equating land claims with a burning desire to bully and oppress new players. This is not the case. Neither is it the case that the larger alliances will have a sudden change of heart and begin slicing up the map in the name of tyrannical rule. The fact is they don't need to; as you said yourself, land claims are just a different means to the same end: creating areas where large numbers of alliance members can concentrate together.

This is a huge boon for any alliance regardless of its focus. Shorter travel times between members means more and faster trading, quicker army movement times, and so on. It is simply the case that the Broken Lands folks that this topic relates to, many of whom enjoy conflict and the military side of the game, would prefer to take a more direct approach to safeguarding future expansion sites, and perhaps ruffling feathers for the sake of it.

As some folks have been clamouring for a more 'hostile' or PvP-centric area, making these bold claims sends out a signal: if you don't want to get hurt then don't pitch your tent on a potential battlefield. At least we have the decency to take a stand and outline our intentions; I wonder how many unfortunate players have been diplo'd and hassled until they move from certain areas because no land claims or statements of intent were previously made by nearby alliances for fear of provoking massive overreactions. A quick look through some pre-BL land-claim threads certainly makes it look like this would be a concern.

Every player in Illyriad has the right to play the game how they wish; this is how we wish it, and so it is. By imposing your vision of peace and freedom on the world you would ironically destroy the freedom of choice you seem to espouse. We 'ne'er-do-wells' are in the minority, and I am sure the prevailing community spirit will easily withstand, or even exist alongside of, whatever mischief we get up to in our corner of the world. Illyria is a big place, and I'm certain there's room for all of us.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 07:40

On Land Claims in Illy.

What is a land claim?  It is a individual, alliance, or group of alliances, claiming sovereignty over an area of Illy outside the bounds of the built in sovereignty mechanism and/or the accepted 10square rule.  As such, at this point is may be defined as extra-legal at this point, with some players honoring the rule and some not yet doing so.

Your supposition that it may be defined as extra-legal immediately bathes the entire idea in a negative light. Regardless of definitions, the term "sounds" as though anyone who claims land is an outlaw. This is not the case. The community has mores, not laws. I doubt any player with any sort of stature would claim to be a maker of Illy law. I suggest we call the positive view of land claims as a minority view. If that's not acceptable, how about some suggestions that are less slanted?

The problems I have with all this are three:  How it was done, what it means in the future, and how it does not align with the general values of the Illy community as historically expressed.

The process by which this process was adopted by those alliances adopting it, was unilateral.  There was little to no discussion in the larger forums or GC, and the adoption by those alliances was done as a "fait acompli" with the expectation that there would be little to no resistance, or if there was a determination to war over the right.

The nature of a land claim would seem to me to be unilateral. As far as "discussion in the larger forums or GC," I would suggest the alliances making the claims very well knew the futility of such an endeavor. Finally, I know for a fact the alliances making these claims had absolutely no expectation of "little to no resistance," however, they do expect they will be able to defend their claims and should they fail, thus is the nature of the game.

Thus, we are faced with a situation in which we must "undo" what has been done if we decide that the new rule is not acceptable, rather than to have avoided this situation by having a good conversation and open discussion before it was done.
Is this a royal we or are you speaking for some "shadow" group? I quite honestly believe you think there could have been a good conversation and an open discussion. I also believe you had a firm expectation of the outcome of that discussion. I have no doubt you feel this could have been avoided had those now claiming land simply listened to a good conversation.

In addition, I do not think this new development will bring a greater level of health to the Illy community.
Many of us think you are wrong. By the way, as has been pointed out by numerous players, this is not a new development. It is a new place to develop it, though.

Let us imagine what this may lead to in the future.  Let us say that each of the largest 50 alliances decide to claim some portion of Illy for themselves.  Let us further suppose that they claim an area approximately the same size of the current crop of claims.  In the end this will mean that fifty alliances will hold sovereignty over 95% of Illy, and perhaps the entire thing.  How will this effect the game?   I think in several ways.
Conjecture is just that. I think Elgea will not be taken by a new wave of sweeping land claims. The "old world" long ago found its equalibrium. This is a new frontier.

First, it will mean that any new players will have a very restricted road to growth and prosperity as they will have to get permission to found cities or join one of those alliances, if they are allowed.
Or, perhaps it will mean something else, entirely. Perhaps it will mean new players who care to "flex their military muscle" will have a place to go. Before TBL opened, there was nowhere to do that. Those players who have no interest in combat will have a place to go, as they always have. In fact, there is much more area in Elgea for them to move into. Ursor is available now.

Second, it will mean that ultimately the gathering of resources, the founding of cities, the harvesting of NPC's and all of the various things we can do in an area can be easily restricted by the alliance claiming that area.  There is no half-way for sovereignty...if you are in charge you are in charge.
Very true, however, it will enable the members of those alliances claiming the area to harvest, settle and hunt at will. It will eliminate the "accidental" incidents that are now so frequent in Elgea.

Third, the area claimed will make the alliance holding that area both a target by larger alliances wanting the area and a "premier" alliance into which most players will wish to move. These "premier" alliances will increasingly dominate the game and make it so that smaller alliances and individuals will need to at least align themselves with them just to survive.  With this the larger "premier" alliances will make having a small or independent alliance meaningless and, should war break out, it will be on a very large scale indeed as these larger alliances drag individuals and smaller ones into the fray as "tribute" for allowing them to settle in the claimed area.  In other words, even if these alliances allow others to settle in "their area" they will soon demand some kind of payment or support.
That all seems to be possible. This will not affect those "premier" alliances in Elgea, though. They've already got a stranglehold on much of the area there.

In summary of my second point I must say that allowing land claims by alliances changes the basic nature of the game from sandbox to a series of kingdoms fighting it out in which no player is exempt and thus no player is truly free to play as he or she desires.  This leads me to my final reason for resisting these claims.
This is what we have now in Elgea. What is developing in TBL is a different dynamic. You may not enjoy it but there are many of us who do. Currently, in Elgea, there is no way for "us" to "play as he or she desires."

This basic change in the nature of the game effects the attractiveness of Illyriad.
It certainly does. It is now much more attractive to players like those I represent.

What is the most attractive thing about Illy to new players?  If you said the friendly players, especially the vets, you would, I think, be correct.  
It is the most attractive thing, in your opinion. My opinion is different and there are no doubt other opinions as well.

And why are the vets so friendly?  Because they have learned that if you want to keep new players you must allow them the freedom to seek their own course and even help them along the way.
True. Unfortunately, until recently, many players tried Illy and left in a short time, or maybe a little while later because they found it to be boring. Many vets have left (or initiated "excitement") for that very reason.

This help isn't restricted to resources.  In fact, from what I've read and heard about the beginning of Illy, it entailed real battles to stop other players from raiding new players.  In other words, Illy collectively made war against a philosophy of "might makes right" by exercising their collective might to stop the larger players from attacking the smaller ones.
How does that have any relavance, beyond your say so?

This attitude of protecting the small from the large so that the smaller can grow and develop as he or she desires is what is at stake.
Wrong

Illyites decided long before I arrived that they needed to resist the domination of the small by the big on an individual level.  They did so because it was something they envisioned as a unique opportunity to make OUR game what it is....a place were new players are very welcome.  
And just because you say so, this "new" TBL trend is going to change that...?

The developers make the mechanics, but in the end, we players make the game.
That's right; playerS. 

Now we are faced with the same problem on a larger scale.  There are alliances who which to take away the sandbox from the smaller alliances and players.  Do not fool yourself into believing that once the land is claimed you will be allowed to play as you wish.  In a war all resources are claimed...including those of "neutral parties." Once the sandbox becomes so small that there is no room for new players or new alliances to play as they wish and where they wish, as all the land is claimed, the very openness and freedom of the game will be lost and it will change into a large alliance dominated war game like so many out there already.  I suspect most of us do not wish to be like those and value the freedom of Illy to settle where  you wish, associate with whom you wish to associate and, in general to be left alone to follow your own path to "victory" as you define it.
This is a restatement of your previous points and I've addressed them above.

There are those who wish to make Illy into something they want it to be.  The sad part is that they are already free to do so within the scope of the game mechanics.  They can "claim" all the land they wish using the 10 square rule and the sovereignty mechanism.

Those statements are contradictory, however, I will say that claiming land within the mechanics of the game and claiming land within the metagame are not the same thing. If you think that is true, you are missing the point.

They can make war against any willing individual or alliance they wish.  They don't need this new strategy, so why are they attempting to foist it upon us?
You say they don't need it.

I my opinion the reason they are doing this is because they can't accomplish what they wish to aaccomplish by using the mechanisms already in place.
We agree on this...

They are in a hurry and are too disorganized or lazy to simply plant the towns, 19 squares apart fast enough to cover the entire area they wish to "claim."
...but not this.

So here's what I now suggest you do in response to this presentation.  Answer the points made.  Was there a long and involved discussion about claims by all of Illy before the claims were made?  Will the claims lead to more opportunities for individuals and alliances to grow freely and without control, coercion or intimidation?  Is this new method in keeping with the historic desires of the players?  These are the points made, not that I'm qualified or unqualified to have an opinion, that I'm ignorant or not ignorant, or that you can attack me and do me harm or not.  So please respond to the points made and we'll all learn something.

Thanks

AJ

Bonfyr Verboo
Llannedd View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 13:37
Some people seem to be missing a couple of basic points:

1. This is a GAME, not reality.
2. If you don't like it, don't play it.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 14:25

In response to twilights comment I agree that we need to do what we can to increase the number of players.  We do disagree on how that is best done. 

I take it the status quo is your view on how to best attract new players?

From the comments it appears Twi would like there to be more "competition," a term many players seem to use as a substitute for "wars."  This is, of course, something very much in line with some people's playing style and if any player wishes to enter into a war against another willing participant I see no reason to restrict them from doing so.  That goes as well for alliances who which to make war.

Yet you endeavour to restrict. I don't understand how you are missing that.

As for the "playing style" of the past, it meets some peoples desires and not others, as it always has done.  What I don't see is why all those who want there to be wars just don't go out and fight against each other?  If they did that then perhaps all the players to which Twi is referring would stay around and have their kind of fun.

Sure, "go out and fight," just do it within the confines of "your" arbitrary rules.

Finally, why does there have to be "tension," with the accompanying threats, intimidation, and coercion for these war liking players to go to war?  Just go to war with the other warriors of the game and leave the rest of us alone for heaven's sake.

Stop imposing yourself into it and you will be left alone.

Ultimately that is why I'm against the whole land claim thing...it forces those who wish not to make war into reserved areas or at least areas that are not claimed as if warriors have more rights in the sandbox than non-warriors.  In my opinion you wouldn't let kids on a playground decide who gets to play in the swings and who does not and if they tried you would call them bully's...right?  So why allow it here.

Right, because "non-warriors" have more rights? Staying and playing in Elgea is now being "forced." Better the kids playing tackle football should be forced to play flag football instead?

So, in the end I don't see why we, collectively, need to change our playing style, when a good number of us could simply do so by agreeing to go to war with each other.

You, collectively are not being forced to change anything but you, collectively are forcing your play style on TBL, or you're trying at least.

And as a final, "side note" I don't think telling the non-warring citizens of Illy that they must live in certain areas is a reasonable solution.  All that does is tell non-warring players that they are somehow 2nd class citizens.
That's just silly.

aj

Edit: you're vs. your

Edited by abstractdream - 17 May 2015 at 14:28
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic