illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Renew Sitter" button

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Renew Sitter" button
    Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 05:11
With the changes to Sitting, I would like to suggest a "Renew Sitter" button. This would allow a 1-click/1 notification/1 mail option. Currently it's "cancel sitter" then "add sitter" again, which doubles up on notification spam. It would also reduce the number of clicks for anyone performing the operation from a device with a smaller than optimal screen.
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 06:51
This is an operation that has to occur at most every three months, I think we can settle for "possible". 
Beyljr View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beyljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 17:16
I don't think so.

I think the person asking another person to sit for some special reason can tolerate a little extra work. The idea of the time limit is to eliminate perma-sats. You idea is trying to make perma-sats in the new environment easier to do, which is the exact opposite of what they are trying to do.
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 06:48
I disagree with Auror and Bey. 

I view the suggestion as a matter of convenience for people sitting other active accounts.  I believe it is an operation that will likely be used by active players whenever they feel they'll be gone from the game for any extended amount of time, whether it be a week or a few days or a month.  I really don't see it making it "easier" for permasats to continue, as the major hurdle to overcome in renewing a sitter is not whether it takes 7 clicks instead of 3, but rather getting the person to actually log in to renew.  

It's really just a matter of user-friendliness for people who take advantage of the intended use of sitters.  
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 08:20
I'm an active player. There's really no reason for anyone to sit my account other than to handle things that are time sensitive MOST of the time. But life has a way of cropping up at the most inconvenient times. As I'd rather not have that inconvenient time be just as my Sitter's permissions are expiring, I'm far more likely to renew my Sitters every 45-60 days or so rather than waiting for my 90 days to be up.
Beyljr View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beyljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 13:56
Berde, I agree with you about the 90 day expiration causing you to have to renew every 45-60 days. I too have a sitter, who never actually sits, for the sole purpose of being there if something ever happens. Other games put a limit on how long a sitter can sit, as opposed to how long they can be assigned as a sitter. I.e. their time doesn't start until they first connect to the account. If this had been your suggestion, then I would have been in favor of it. And in your stated environment, this would be even better than your idea of a button, since it would never have to be renewed unless the sitter was actively sitting.
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 16:22
Whether you do it every three months or every month and a half, that still doesn't change the fact that it takes twenty seconds to do it.  There's just so very little to be gained trying to fix something that isn't broken.  
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 21:43
Actually, I like Beyljr's idea even better. Never even thought of that!
Veneke View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 03:20
Why is there any opposition to what is clearly a user convenience improvement to the interface? This provides absolutely no extra benefit to sitting, nor does it somehow bring back permasats. The only change being asked for here is to reduce a 2 click process to a 1 click process. It doesn't remove the need for the actual account holder to log in and click some buttons.

Honestly the objections being raised to this interface improvement are laughable. I understand that nobody wants anything that might bring back permasats to the game, but this is an extremely paranoid response to the suggestion.
"May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic