Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23FEB15 - BEYOND 10 CITIES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 00:06
I think that the amendments will create more opportunity for wars and disagreements.  But the Greek city states still screwed over the Persians.  I expect the same in Illyriad.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 00:43
Although you see City 42 in the distance, that gentle curve is (as usual) carefully pitched beyond 10 cities. 23-27 is realistic maximum for most people, before dropping back population to exploit those cities to their fullest.

Here's a deliberate over-think, just to get you thinking about it...

The numbers will bite in the 20s, and you'll really struggle to make it past 26, without making your cities full of useless buildings. So, there's a clear growth phase when you can't really maintain useful armies/diplo, then when you've had enough of sitting on your hands watching the builders, there's the militarisation phase, giving up the ability to grow population for further cities.

If you want a massive military alliance as an end-point, then those alliances will need to organise their members to make this work: you can't have everyone militarised and growing beyond 24 cities each.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 00:46
Further, the recent growth changes are designed to make uncomfortable crowding a realistic prospect. Looking ahead in 1-2 years, this could be the spark for conflict. It's something to be embraced as interesting, rather than something that should be petitioned for avoiding.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 01:06
This is going to make food sov way more valuable. Friction over ideal spots will increase.
hrandjt View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hrandjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 01:10
Some of the updates over the past few days have been great, it's been good to see the devs take an active hand in balancing the game, but this... My first reaction to this was really negative. After taking some time to think about it properly I still hate it, this is awful.

The game was well balanced, with the ability to trade off between population, sovereignty capabilities and taxes. This blows all that out of the water, making population king and massively increasing the power of long time players and the super rich. Also, the population to city curve now makes no sense.

Finally, it's a massive kick in the teeth to all the long time players who chose to take the hit from exodus and move to the Broken Lands, I'm glad I'm not one of them.

Edited by hrandjt - 24 Feb 2015 at 01:11
jcx View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 03:15
oh yeah! big players can instantly go up to 20 cities in one account!
Disclaimer: The above is jcx|orcboy's personal opinion and is not the opinion or policy of Harmless? [H?] or of the little green men that have been following him all day.

jcx in H? | orcboy in H?
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 05:04
Originally posted by Stukahh Stukahh wrote:

A single player can essentially control up to 120 cities now if they are motivated and willing to spend big bucks.  40 Cities for main, 40 cities for alt and 4 sat accounts with 10 cities a piece.

I think that is a game changer.  3 or 4 motivated players could do alot of damage.

What are you accusing me of now SB?Angry
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 05:04
Like the change anyways, thanks Devs
Whakomatic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whakomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 05:57
I am not sure it is reasonable to jump on the "it's bad" bandwagon just yet. What percentage of Illy players have 10 cities? How long did it take for them to get that many? Why do you instantly assume people are suddenly going to have 40 and destroy the game. The sky is not falling people. 
Ammianus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammianus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:31
First: I am taking what i can get, actually I have already.

Second: my first impression was  "oh, that's bad, it will reduce open space and probably unballance the game"

But there are less than 5% of the players with 10 cties who can exploit this really quick and probably less who have already the requirement for the eleventh.
While i agree with some of the above concerns, I think the developers have a chance to see the effect and can in 6 month probably top of at around 15 to 18 cities, if there is any need without doing much harm to those who have then built already.

So I suggest accept the change for now and see how everything developes.
Qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non causa.
[Vegetius]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic