Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23FEB15 - BEYOND 10 CITIES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 12:14
The sky might not be falling, but this is still a major change to Illyriad. The 5% of players in question happen to include some of the most powerful accounts in the game. As they grow to 15 cities and beyond, their already mighty influence on tournaments and wars will make a corresponding leap. There will be interesting days ahead.
Etherea View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Etherea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 14:18
I saw a statement in Global Chat that I honestly think will have more bearing on the outcome of this addition more than any other. That statement was "Maybe these changes will breath some new life into Illyriad"
   I think that "new life" is going to have a lot to say on this particular update as old players that got bored with doing the same thing over and over again hear of this and come back to the game to build more cities, and newer player see the potential to grow big and work harder to catch up.
  This update has the potential to be the doomsday update that some are seeming to look at it as, but it also has the potential to be the one update that has the most impact on spurring slow players to play a better more active role in Illyriad.
   For me, I will lay my hopes on the latter. We have a lot of hungry new players out there that will see this potential and work hard to get there. If we all want this to be the engrossing developmental addition it can be, I say bring it on, and lets see the new players be all they can be. If we all do that, this can be the best addition yet.
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 19:44
Lets get realistic here, if you don't buy prestige it'll take you about 10 years to get to 15 cities, if you buy prestige, lots of prestige, it'll take you under a year to get 40 cities. That should basically end the debate.
Devs are looking for new ways to create revenue, which is a good thing, this just isn't a good way of going about it. This is pay to win.

Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 20:12
Pay to win is when I can pay 35c to instantly finish 4000 infantry, or pay 65c to erect an indestructible shield that will halt all attacks for 4 hours. Illyriad still isn't anywhere close to pure pay to win. While this will allow players who spend considerable prestige to achieve more cities faster, that has ALWAYS been the case in Illyriad. You still can't purchase resources directly. Anyone with a big alliance (or lots of friends) could already capture cities, be supplied with basics, and speed them to completion by spending real money. I have done it, and so have many others. This update just increases the scope from 10 cities to 15-20 or maybe more.
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 23:10
For good or bad, this update will substantially increase the gap between old and new players and between non-prestigers and prestigers.

Old: some people complained about older players having all the 'super food sov' spots in Elgea.
But: it could be argued that food sov didn't matter 'that much'... anyone could still get to 10 cities with work.

Now: food sov is 'that important' now. better sov spots translates to more possible cities. Unless a way is added for players to (with hard work) terraform more cities, the players who grab the biggest food sov spots will have a substantial and permanent advantage.

Old: non-prestigers got to 10 cities in 2 or 3 years. prestigers got to 10 cities in a few months
But: at the end, they both had 10 cities so the gap could mostly be closed by hard work

Now: more prestige translates to a larger top number of possible cities and the gap can never be closed by non-prestigers.

Edited by Alcie - 24 Feb 2015 at 23:11
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 23:15
More cities = More siege targets.

Wink

I don't really have an opinion about whether this is "good" or "bad."  I don't automatically think "more is better," but I don't necessarily think it's worse either.

The number of troops each city can support still has around the same limit, and whether it's 2 players with 20 cities each or 4 players with 10 cities each, it seems like the math works out around the same.  Spreading the same amount of brain power around more cities might even result in decreasing marginal returns.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know.

It'll all work out.
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 23:40
... Well, combining all those facts posted...:
Though it was already possible to speed up to 10 cities within months, or maybe 1 year, only 5% did actually go there and not all of them used prestige...
so no huge game changer at all, just a way to keep those 5% busy.

And imagine how much it will hurt for a 20 towns player to loose one city after changing all the towns back to military construction... just drop some stones into the right direction... Evil Smile
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 00:31
With the ability to buy prestige scrolls now, I'm not sure the prestige gap will be as wide as is being forecast.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 01:15
The ability to buy prestige scrolls with gold is going to favor old accounts, and accounts collected by sitters. IF--and it is a big IF--the devs aggressively police password sharing violations and sat accounts, then I think prestige buying will be less fashionable then it was when the announcement was first made.
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 01:30
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

The ability to buy prestige scrolls with gold is going to favor old accounts, and accounts collected by sitters. IF--and it is a big IF--the devs aggressively police password sharing violations and sat accounts, then I think prestige buying will be less fashionable then it was when the announcement was first made.

I can promise you that there are fewer things that get my blood boiling (and banhammer going) than password sharing, etc. 

Trust me or not, up to you. :)

Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic