Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23FEB15 - BEYOND 10 CITIES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dittobite View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dittobite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 19:15
Great.  +1 on this change.  At what city limit will famine management now be rewarded?  Is it still 10?
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 19:23
Originally posted by dittobite dittobite wrote:

Great.  +1 on this change.  At what city limit will famine management now be rewarded?  Is it still 10?
Still awarded at city 10
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 19:57
Not sure about this update, perhaps if the issues with permasitting and gifted accounts were dealt with as well i'd feel more comfortable with facing one player with 40 cities.
PurpleRain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleRain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 22:33
Guys, it took me best part of 5 years to get 10 towns...what are you trying to do to me...for like a month i have been so proud of myself for reaching ten lol :(

Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 23:31
For the short term I love this.. I have wanted to make a new city for ages and now I can at least work towards one or more.

I also suspect this more than any of the other current updates will bring in prestige buying which should help support the game.

In the longer term I do feel nervous that it will bias the game more towards super powers caused by prestige. Getting up towards 20 cities (or 40 >.<) is very unlikely without a serious amount of prestige. And once you have 20 cities you would be a potential powerhouse. Of course, as Epidemic alluded to, you can already basically do this by abusing the sitter functions.

So I have mixed feelings.

I kind of wish the curve was as just posted for 11 and 12 towns but sped up insanely, so that 15 or so was max and that it got harder and harder towards 15. 40 cities just seems a bit ridiculous.

Edited by Alcie - 23 Feb 2015 at 23:37
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 23:40
A single player can essentially control up to 120 cities now if they are motivated and willing to spend big bucks.  40 Cities for main, 40 cities for alt and 4 sat accounts with 10 cities a piece.

I think that is a game changer.  3 or 4 motivated players could do alot of damage.

I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 23:46
This update (in my opinion) is flirting with "pay to win".  I think the consequences of this update will be felt 2 years from now.

I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
John Louis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Louis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 23:56
Here's a thought:

Maybe some players will absorb (valuable old) cities from sat accounts ('belonging' to alliances) into their main account/alt, now that they can.

This in itself may do away with some sat accounts.

It may help, it may not (some abuse, I guess, is always inevitable).

Lets just wait and see - though I think this is an exciting innovation, and I really like the crafting bonus increases too - finally an incentive to craft weapons which have practical worthwhile bonuses!
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 23:58
Umm, yea...this is the end of Illy as we know it. A shame.
Bonfyr Verboo
Lwyllyn View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lwyllyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 00:04
I think it's more than just 'flirting' with pay-to-win. Some unintentional consequenses I can see:

1. Some players will use prestige to insta-build their way up, resulting in...

2. The already crowded (and recently expanded) map will explode with these new rapidly-growing cities...

3. Small players will be unable to find a suitable square with an uninhabited 5x5

4. Battles will be disgustingly unbalanced

5. Within a couple of years, the map will be dominated with a dozen or so super prestige-buyers, squeezing the rest of us out.

I think capping the number somewhere can avoid these problems, and maintain a balance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic