FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

22FEB15 - 5 YEARS OF ILLYRIAD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22FEB15 - 5 YEARS OF ILLYRIAD!
    Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 00:02
Hi everyone,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO... SHALL WE?
It's a bit of a shocker, but it's actually Illyriad's 5-yr anniversary today. 

Whilst the server booted up for the first time on the 21st of February 2010, players didn't get access until the 22nd; so that's the official start date for this grand journey.

In that time we've seen many, many changes to the game.

For those who weren't around at the beginning, here's a sample of what you missed from the early days...

We started off with a "world tree" theme around the borders, with all the content placed inside large scrolls.  The town map was a very different beast.

The world map was randomly generated (rather than hand-drawn) in those days, so there were no rivers, no seas or lakes, no sprawling forests or mountain ranges and no regions; just a mish-mash of different squares.  

The world map, with Chat version 1 visible.  Note the awesome way the arctic area blends so subtly with the rest of the map :)

POP-QUIZ FACTOID BUZZFEED LISTICLE
During these five years, you have:
  • Undertaken some 62 million trade missions and traded 4 trillion Gold (4 thousand billion)!
  • Performed 21 million harvesting missions and nearly 12 million quests
  • Gone on 125 million military missions and nearly 40 thousand sieges for a total of 1.6 billion casualties
  • Sent 104 million ingame mails and spoken 334 million words in chat.  That's the equivalent of the entire works of Shakespeare 377 times over, or the equivalent of 425 Bibles - in chat alone. I won't speak to the relative quality of the text ;)
  • 287,000 players have been through the gates, settling 350,000 towns across 1,300 alliances
  • You have collectively played 22,364,898.12 hours of Illyriad
  • That's 931,870.75 days or 2,553 years!
During this 5-year period we have had just under 6 hours of unscheduled downtime, and 15 hours of downtime in total (including patches and server moves).

OHHH, RELEASE ME, LET ME GO...
Over the following day we'll be making a large number of changes, patches and updates to the game.

We'll announce each one of them as and when they occur!  

Stay tuned, and thanks for joining us on this journey.

Best wishes,

SC

Edited by GM Rikoo - 22 Oct 2015 at 18:18
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
Baron Harkonnen View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron Harkonnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 00:16
Happy Birthday to Illy
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 01:26
To the developers and all the players of Illyriad:  Thank you so much for making a great game and a great community, worthy of all the time I squander dwell here.

Here's to the next five years!

Beer
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 01:45
Truly impressive.

I am guessing that at least 20,000 of those sieges were MicroMe. ;-)
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 02:21
OHHH, RELEASE ME, LET ME GO...
Over the following day we'll be making a large number of changes, patches and updates to the game.

We'll announce each one of them as and when they occur!  Stay tuned,....

Where there's light there's hope!

Congrats Devs on a significant achievement.
Leiwan View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leiwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 02:51
Happy b-day Illy
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 03:11
I L L Y R I A D!

SPECIAL HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!  CONGRATULATIONS!!

THANKS FOR GOOD NEWS, AND THANKS FOR UPDATES!!

"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 03:27
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ILLY!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ILLY!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ILLY!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ILLY!
(To the tune of Happy Birthday to You, royalties be damned)

I want to say that this is the only game I've ever played for more than 6 months. I've been here for over 3 years and I have either loved or hated every single second of it. I've proudly spent well over a hundred dollars in that time and will continue to do so. I would like to thank all the Devs over the last 5 years for their input into this amazing game and I want to give a special thank you to all the players who have come and gone and to all those amazing friends and enemies who are still here to spark another day.

Mr. James Niesewand, you have made a masterpiece. There are those who struggle all their lives to create something enduring, something that touches others in a way most can only dream of and you, sir have done just that. Thank you GM STORMCROW for making for me an experience of a lifetime. While it may only be a small and limited amount of my time, only an hour here or there, Illyriad will endure until my dying day as one of THE most entertaining endeavors in which I have ever had the pleasure of taking part. Thank you!

May Illyriad live beyond its creators and participants.

Edited by abstractdream - 22 Feb 2015 at 03:28
Bonfyr Verboo
Fiona View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fiona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 03:34
Happy Birthday to a great game. :) 

Edited by Fiona - 22 Feb 2015 at 03:35
Jadefae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jadefae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 04:28
A very Happy Birthday It is such a wonderful Game!!!ClapSmileTongueWinkLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic