illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dilly Tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 15:17
I'm using Perl. There are no structures (struct) like you have in C in Perl.
You can use either arrays or hashes, whereas hashes are basically just arrays with named elements.

But I might have other options like using file databases. There's a Berkeley DB implementation for Perl. I'd use the MySQL database on my webspace if I didn't have these restrictions there. :(
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 15:50
And I think you've hit upon the critical part of success of failure in these ventures. To do a decent implementation, you need a decent hosting environment, offering a proper database, server-side storage, processing and user management, BUT it costs money to run, and it's a very difficult ask for someone to give up their spare time and cash for free.
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 17:52
Well, it's not that my webspace is free or anything. I have to pay for it of course. Sure, I've got some ads there but frankly speaking they pay for like 0,01% of the costs. :P
So yes, I don't have a dedicated server with lots of power there. It's shared webspace, nothing more, nothing less. I'm using it as my private website, providing stuff that's free to use by anybody. It's not for a company or to make money. Of course it would be nice to earn enough money to make a living from that, but I'm pretty sure I won't be a second Google anytime soon.
So yes, I'm giving my spare time and cash for free here. You offered that you might be able help. I said that would be great. I didn't explictly ask for help in the first place. :)

Well, anyway, back to topic I'd say. :)
I think I found a pretty neat solution for the runtime memory consumption by pre-filtering the data I process. Let's see how that works out. Most likely it's not fast enough for a web application but, well, let's see.

Edit:
The time to scan a region is now down to a couple of minutes. Before it took between 30min and 1h. :)

Edited by Digioso - 23 Feb 2015 at 20:02
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 21:33
Here's an example for Tamarin on how the output of the tool looks right now.
http://www.digioso.org/Tamarin.htm

The search was using my default parameters as described above.
Basically: High food spot (at least 13 food), 7 food & 25 resource plots on the settlement directly next to it, no other cities in 10 squares distance.
So far there are no excludes (EG no hill/mountain next to city spot) and as described above only resources are taken into account, no other bonusses.

Edited by Digioso - 24 Feb 2015 at 21:33
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 06:54
I managed to add all Sov bonusses (resources and stuff like +x% Beer production).
So far it's not possible to specify the latter as a search criteria (EG: The new spot should have +6% Beer production in the first ring around the city) but I'm working on that.

On the topic on displaying Sov bonusses (resources and the other production bonusses):
What would you prefer?
a) It displays the specific bonusses per ring around your city (like in http://www.digioso.org/Tamarin_new.htm)
b) It sums up the total bonusses. EG Ring 2 = All bonusses from Ring 1 + All Bonusses from Ring 2 (like in http://www.digioso.org/Tamarin.htm)

My Odroid has not arrived yet unfortunately... But I hope it'll be here soon. Then I can open this to the public.

Edited by Digioso - 08 Mar 2015 at 06:55
RoundRobin View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundRobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 16:11
Hi

I just wanted to tell you that Infamy[FAM] already has such a tool. You can search for spots on the map for basic res and surrounding sov bonuses. So if you want to find a spot with 48 spear production(yes, such a square exists), you only put in 7 food and 48 spear. You can search on any combination you want for all known sovs and resources.

We've kept it as an internal tool, but we're discussing right now if we should make at least the sov search public as we will have no advantage as other people also make such tools.

Best regards,
RoundRobin.
RR
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 17:25
Oh, I didn't know that. Won't keep me from working on my tool I guess, though. I like to finish things I started. :)
RoundRobin View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundRobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 18:03
He he, I know. No one knew, we kept it a secret.

And I'm the same as you, I would have finished the job you are doing. It's a nice challenge to be able to search sov in around 8.6 million squares without it taking to much power.

I saw you were using perl, so did I. The database holding the data is postgres.
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 09:00
I'm using the approach to search for high resource spots with nearby spots with 7food (or rather: an amount of resources you can configure) to narrow down the total number of fields I've got to search.

And yep, I'm using Perl as well. My database will be MySQL. I've got most experience with MySQL and Oracle databases but Oracle is a bit too expensive. :)
IbnSenna View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IbnSenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 11:36
have you considered building vectors from 48 adjacent squares features for each square when loading the latest map, then feeding it into any sql db?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic