Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you think of Centrum Visibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What do you think of the changes that allow everyone to see Centrum?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [28.21%]
5 [12.82%]
23 [58.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 09:57
No one here has talked from the position of buyers; only as sellers and the inconveniences that Centrum causes them. The reason why I think the devs conceived of this was also because Centrum still remains the only hub in the game where you can buy almost anything; most other hubs offer paltry selections. This is particularly true in the BL. To me, the game has still yet to embrace full-scale trading in local/regional hubs due to the dominance of the Wal Mart-like Centrum.

That, I'm not saying that I like Centrum being available to everyone. It's just that I understand the thinking. 

I have a better idea for encouraging local trading in the hubs: put an X-month moratorium on trading in Centrum. If there were no buy/sell orders there for a period of time, it would force players and alliances to sell their wares in the local shop.

IbnSenna View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IbnSenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 13:35
Or making Centrum a global info center, with no local trade: Centrum would display max, average, min prices (for both buy and sell offers) for every item…

Let the actual traders find the right mix between global market trends, proximity, availability… and discover where the best bargains lie, on their own?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 14:11
As an aside, I think Broken Lands has quiet hubs because 90% of the cities there are existing players who just ship themselves items directly from Elgea. Those hubs were quiet before everyone could see Centrum.
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 15:10
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

...Centrum still remains the only hub in the game where you can buy almost anything; most other hubs offer paltry selections. This is particularly true in the BL...

I know that in my case, at least, I haven't bothered trying to sell much of anything other than Centrum because I haven't seen many buy orders for the kinds of things I've harvested. Sure, I could put my wares up and hope that I don't pay a boatload of taxes on things that are going to sit there for months...

Maybe if the point of the whole Centrum Visibility thing was to help new players - maybe coding could be changed that so only towns under 1K pop (or pick a random number that you like) are able to see Centrum without having a trader there? Even without having a trader in Centrum, knowing the prices of things was useful to help decide what I should bother to gather, but at the time I had to pester my alliance mates to look them up until I could get a trader ;)
Stonerman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stonerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 15:48
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

No one here has talked from the position of buyers.

I cant really think of any other views a buyer would have other than getting his good as cheaply as possible, in that case this is an ideal situation 
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 16:14
My original post was from the perspective of a buyer. When I want bulk resources for prestige building, I don't want all the Centrum offers cluttering up my local trade visibility. I want to be able to sort nearby orders by price.

I believe the same effect is making it slower to get my town buy orders accepted, as nearby players who would sell to me now have a harder time to spot my town buy order in the Centrum pile.
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:34
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

My original post was from the perspective of a buyer. When I want bulk resources for prestige building, I don't want all the Centrum offers cluttering up my local trade visibility. I want to be able to sort nearby orders by price.

I believe the same effect is making it slower to get my town buy orders accepted, as nearby players who would sell to me now have a harder time to spot my town buy order in the Centrum pile.

I'm not sure I see a problem here.  You can already sort by what's important to you.  If it's distance over price, sort by the distance from the town accessing the market and you'll see all the nearby orders to that town.

I disagree that same effect is making it slower to get your orders accepted.  What's making it slower is your desire to pay as little as possible for the goods you want.  Otherwise Centrum prices wouldn't be interfering with your visibility as your offers would near the top of the page even with Centrum "clutter".  Granted it's something all buyers want to do just as sellers want to get the best price for their wares.  That perceived harder time to spot your offers may be more a result from the seller now seeing higher priced buy offers than yours than whether they could find yours among the "clutter".
Belegar Ironhammer View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belegar Ironhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 17:50
I dislike the Centrum visibility, mainly because my buy orders keep getting filled by players who are absurd distances away and I end up waiting 4 or 5 days for the goods to arrive. Quick trading was a benefit of the hubs. Centrum visibility everywhere hurts that a lot. 
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solanar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 18:35
I dislike it as well. On the one hand, if you're only going to bother with one trader, Centrum is the one to have, on the other, wasn't the whole point to create regional trade rather than universally visible buy and sell orders based from peoples cities?

I find I frequently purchase from who is closest rather than who is cheapest, personally, but in general if I want something, I want it now - and spending extra gold is easier than spending extra prestige.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 19:32
@Count Rupert: What I want is nearby orders (within my local trade radius), sorted by price. Which is exactly what I had before this feature. Now sorting by distance alone jumbles up the prices; now sorting by price alone mixes in Centrum bids from 1000 squares away.

Regarding my posted town buy orders, I follow the same pattern I always have: bidding approximately Centrum prices for local orders. Since the feature was enacted, I perceive that it takes 3 times as long to get orders filled, with no other change in buying habits.

@Belegar: Many of my Centrum buy and sell orders are filled from a considerable distance, even before this new visibility feature arrived. That hasn't changed much for me, I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic