Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Great War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Orin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Great War
    Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 22:47
Greetings, brothers and sisters. I have decided to compile a report on the war between GA and the Dominion,Harmless? and it's allies. I think you know the one I mean, but it was the biggest in history. I require accounts from veterans of the war, as I have recieved many conflicting views. The report will be as neutral as I can possibly make it. I am looking for the names of every involved alliance, moments of heroism and especially the cause of the war and the crow history leading up to the event . Please do not hesitiate to contact me. I do realise this is a sensitive subject. therefore it cannot lay dormant. Finally, a account from a neutral would allow me to now have info from all 3 sides of the war. My in game name is Orin, please send me a IGM.
Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 00:38
For Peace sake, Let's Not.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 04:14
Speaking as a loser, I don't have a problem with this at all. History has always interested me and Illy history is fascinating. When I was a newb, I wanted to read everything I could about Illy history. I know I'm not the typical player but I know I'm not alone in that interest too.
Bonfyr Verboo
Makanalani View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makanalani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 06:20
This would be a great idea if people would be able to contribute as much information as they have. It would be fantastic to have one post with the main themes, important battles, and statistics on troops and numbers.
"Life is a beautiful struggle"

-New IGN: Mak (Dark Blight)
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 19:25
Some details you'll want to put in your neutral history record; Permasits played a major part in that war and it was the first war to see total indiscriminate annihilation of active player accounts. It should be added that the 'peaceful' alliances were the ones doing the total indiscriminate annihilation.
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 20:25
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

it was the first war to see total indiscriminate annihilation of active player accounts. It should be added that the 'peaceful' alliances were the ones doing the total indiscriminate annihilation.

I disagree with this. We gave everyone the option of individual surrender on good terms. In fact, we even helped some players rebuild.

Yes, some people were practically sieged out... but this was an inevitable consequence of their (and their alliance's) refusal to accept reasonable surrender terms. Those who sympathise with the other side often accuse us of being ruthless, conveniently forgetting that the great war was fought by same terms as previous wars.

The only real difference between our approach and that of previous victors... is that we did not require players to forfeit towns as part of the surrender terms, and gave everyone a way out from the very beginning.
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 21:04
Originally posted by Orik Orik wrote:

I am looking for the names of every involved alliance, moments of heroism and especially the cause of the war and the crow history leading up to the event . Please do not hesitiate to contact me. I do realise this is a sensitive subject. therefore it cannot lay dormant. Finally, a account from a neutral would allow me to now have info from all 3 sides of the war.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet which shows a snapshot taken about 6 months into the war.

It would be great to have someone document the war for historical purposes. But achieving an actual objective account will be next to impossible. I'd be happy to share some of my knowledge.

I suggest drafting a list of questions, and sending them to the leaders of all the alliances involved in the war. You might not get many responses, but you'll undoubtedly see that every alliance had it's own reasons for being involved Wink
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
Ukkonen View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ukkonen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 16:38
Originally posted by Tamaeon Tamaeon wrote:

it was the first war to see total indiscriminate annihilation of active player accounts. It should be added that the 'peaceful' alliances were the ones doing the total indiscriminate annihilation.

I disagree with this. We gave everyone the option of individual surrender on good terms. In fact, we even helped some players rebuild.

Yes, some people were practically sieged out... but this was an inevitable consequence of their (and their alliance's) refusal to accept reasonable surrender terms. Those who sympathise with the other side often accuse us of being ruthless, conveniently forgetting that the great war was fought by same terms as previous wars.

The only real difference between our approach and that of previous victors... is that we did not require players to forfeit towns as part of the surrender terms, and gave everyone a way out from the very beginning.

Having fought in the beginning on the victors side I must agree with Epidemics version and it is one reason amongst many why I left the war. People can quote what they like but it just became a mauling with no honour.
Tyrande Whisperwinds View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrande Whisperwinds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 19:32
Originally posted by Ukkonen Ukkonen wrote:

Originally posted by Tamaeon Tamaeon wrote:

Having fought in the beginning on the victors side I must agree with Epidemics version and it is one reason amongst many why I left the war. People can quote what they like but it just became a mauling with no honour.

Having also fought in the beginning on the victors side, i can confirm that. It was one of the 3 reasons that made me quit my alliance and renounce the war... At some given point, i couldn't tell how we could be called "the good guys" when we were doing the exact same thing that we accused the "bad guys" of doing...
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 19:51
Originally posted by Tyrande Whisperwinds Tyrande Whisperwinds wrote:

At some given point, i couldn't tell how we could be called "the good guys" when we were doing the exact same thing that we accused the "bad guys" of doing...
And what was that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 23>
  Share Topic