illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Research Points Bookie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dragonwort View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonwort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Research Points Bookie
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 22:54
This enhancement may have already been presented, if so, consider this post a second to the motion.

I would like to see the library reading room convert research points into books in addition to converting books to research points.

After a certain point in Illy play, needed research for a city is completed and unless you replace the library with another needed building; the research points soon reach into the millions.

We cannot give these points to new members who need them but if we could convert them into books (ala prestige points)it would be very useful as well as freeing up another inner-wall building site since a bookbinder would be unnecessary.

I know this change may well affect the market price of books but is that such a bad thing?  Just an idea...Cheers  Tongue  Dragonwort
Just another wrench in the works..
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 09:32
erm...you have heard of the Book Binder...?
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 15:09
/me is confused. I thought this condition was already in place.
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 17:49
I think having an opportunity cost for producing books (by having the bookbinder take up a building space) is at least not undesirable.  If the only use for books was to transfer research points, I guess you could make an argument for it, but since they are also used to produce diplomatic units and harvesters, I think it makes sense for the bookbinder to take up a square similar to a saddlemaker, blacksmith, etc.

Naturally it might always seem desirable to get for "free" something that now has a cost (even an opportunity cost of having to use a building square).  But Illy is mostly a game of managing among constraints and making choices about how to use resources (resources broadly including troops, time, etc.).  I don't see a huge reason that this particular constraint being removed would substantially improve the game.
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Berde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 22:45
At the very least it would make more sense if Prestige <name a size bit> were made somewhere other than the library if books aren't made in the library. Maybe in the Mage Tower since it's a magical process. Or the bookbinder with the other printed materials
Dragonwort View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragonwort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 10:47
Okay....let's see...

@ Angrim....erm  4th paragraph, fourth word from the end....yes, of course, and you missed the point of the post

@abstactdream....yes, you are confused; reread the post

@Berde...the subject of the post is about dealing with accumulated research points and prestige was only mentioned as an example

@ Rill....Having millions of unused research points in each city is not a "constraint" and neither is having a bookbinder. It's just a bit of a waste...It's akin to the siege workshop...why waste the space when you can buy a 1000 in the market and , barring wars, they will last the entire game....no matter how long you play?

Okay, lets get the Illy games crew on board......have the option to reverse the process cost some prestige as well as gold and some of those harvestables with no present use..ala prestige scraps, etc. It would be a boon to those who supply the new players with books for research until the newbie library is producing..this might even create a new market for now semi-worthless gems, herbs, etc.

Just another idea  Big smile   Dragonwort
Just another wrench in the works..
Glin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 15:13
Originally posted by Dragonwort Dragonwort wrote:

We cannot give these points to new members who need them but if we could convert them into books (ala prestige points)it would be very useful as well as freeing up another inner-wall building site since a bookbinder would be unnecessary.

An interesting thought....would it be possible to add a whole new section of trade in the hubs called starter paks?
research points, prestige, different types of T1 res. They could be varying sizes etc depending on what the buyer likes to gift newbs or new alliance mates. 

At this point, when I send out newb packs I send 400 books. That equals about 2 weeks of newb research. More than enough time to build a book binder and library and start making research points.
I also send between 10k gold (non-aligned newbs) to 1M Gold (new alliance mates). 
The hard part is sending the right amount of res so that you have enough for all the newbs you are supporting, without too much waste.  So it would be nice to have starter paks that identify rough needs by pop size. 
Your idea is sound but needs some tweaking. Im not sure it would come to pass, but I enjoy reading your ideas.

Edited by Glin - 27 Nov 2014 at 16:00
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 15:46
In Illy, a Library is needed after research is completed because the librarians keep the records for sovereignty. To sell (or give away) your excess RP, you use a Bookbinder. If you care about providing RP to others, you use the space and it's not a waste. If you don't care, you can fill the space with something else.

It seems like a reasonable exchange to me. A balancing act. A choice. Isn't that what this game is about?
Bonfyr Verboo
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2014 at 15:56
+1 abstract

I actually like the fact we have less plots than buildings, as else all towns would look the same (or even more the same as they already do).
Some big players shoot away the library, do lots of Sovs and compensate the negative Research by buying books on the market => yet another version, and another reason for medium sized players to build a library and sell books =)
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamaeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 06:16
I don't know about most players, but I don't have millions of RP in my cities. I tend to run RP deficits to support sovereignty for most of the year. And that's including the 20% prestige boost. I also spend a considerable amount of gold on books every few months, or get rid of my sov's to fill my coffers for a month or two after a tourney.
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic