Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed14NOV14 - Further exploit permabans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 15:07
Originally posted by Glin Glin wrote:

...Especially as this appears to have funded a war-time period.
Was Roads funding a war via Odd or Ness and his alliance with these funds? Was the whole war just a cute giggle to theme Was it cute to them when players quit the game as their cities were destroyed? Would they have lost their cities if the war had not raged so long without the access to the gold that Odd and Nesse had?

So, I was responding to that quote. All the gobbledygook aside, I can attest to the fact that the war was long over by the August date described by SC. I can also tell you that rebuilding relies very little on markets and market values. That is just how I see it, based on my own and my alliance family's experience. I cannot testify to other's experiences but I can extrapolate and I would bet this exploit had little to no effect on those of us who fought in the war or who are rebuilding.
Bonfyr Verboo
Glin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 15:36
Rill, your comment makes you look like a rake. You may have an MBA but you need to grow up.

At best. 

Abstract: you are seriously underestimating the costs of rebuilding from the war. 

The fact that two alliances and a member from a third had access to unlimited gold which gave countless 'friends' an advantage over the rest of the server makes it look like there are truly "lots" of cheaters. 

And hey, I don't care if you don't like me saying it. 
Stop trying to "react" to my comments and just take them at face value. 
There appears to be a lot of immoral people threaded throughout several alliances. 

Bimoda View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 15:38
+1  to Rill

And as a side note, do you want to come help me with my business finances?  Wink

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

No, during my MBA program in which I took a finance emphasis, they neglected to cover basic economic concepts.

Sarcasm aside, I don't claim to be an economist, but I have a general grasp of how money supply can affect prices.

I am essentially arguing that supply of basic resources is highly elastic and that therefore any change in demand for resources driven by increases in money supply would not have a very large increase in price and therefore would not be likely to affect people's ability to rebuild.

In addition, in this case the growth in gold appears to have stayed concentrated in a fairly limited number of hands.

Given a higher concentration of wealth, it seems likely that the effects of inflation would be felt more in the market for discretionary goods, such as advanced harvestables, crafted items, etc., for which supply is more inelastic, and not so much in the market for commodities, since the supply of those commodities is elastic.

Commodities by their nature have a low income elasticity of demand -- people will tend to prioritize rebuilding their cities over other activities such as the above.  Therefore an increase in income would tend to have less effect on the demand for basic resources than for luxury goods, as described above.

In addition, based on the description the developers have given regarding the ways in which a great deal of the increased money supply was used, a lot of it did not enter the economic system, but rather was deposited in alliance inventories or used to purchase prestige scrolls.  Or in some cases, simply sat in players' accounts.  This in many ways could be seen to parallel the economic recovery from the most recent recession, in which in spite of relatively "easy money" policies the people who had the money did not "spend" it (such as by banks making loans in the case of the U.S. or by players buying things in Illy).  The result in the United States was a period of low inflation in spite of "easy money" policies.  A similar situation seems to have occurred in Illy.

Given that I have an understanding of elasticity, do you see it being relevant to this situation in a way other than the one I've described?

Your argument for an observable economic effect is speculative at best, and any attempt to link it to war is utterly specious.
Bimoda - Dragon Fairy: Illyria Fairy Nation [FAIRY]
Rua View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 15:56
I don't understand why there are so many people here saying devs did a good job. To me it looks like the investigation led to completely wrong conclusions resulting in giving permabans to wrong people.

Odd (Nesse) operated with huge amounts of money for a long time: there was no reason to exploit the game he truly loved and devoted so much time risking what he already had. If anybody does not know this, Odd is a great guy and has been an active part of Illyriad community since 2011 leading two alliances, each of them being interesting and unique. From what I know, he was waiting for new features in the game, such as introduction of more complex magic system and roads, that were mentioned very long ago. He has 10 cities on both of his accounts and his wife has 9 cities, mostly generating gold, so I am sure he had billions of gold long before receiving anything from CDD.

The reasoning why CDD sent money away to good people, who helped him in the past, is very clear. If Odd received a message about an old player wanting to join an alliance in a Facebook group, I do not see why he would not add him: even if he knew cnenc had been banned, he might have not known the reason behind it.

As for Brock, he received the money and a strange letter, then he bought prestige scrolls - looks like it was his only fault, based on what I read in this topic. And it looks clear that he did not send the money to himself, otherwise the letter would not be needed.

I am sure that the investigation has led to wrong conclusions and Odd is innocent, probably as some other people from the list.

It is interesting that I could have been among the banned: two days after I created the account, delif sent me a friend request. I sent him a letter introducing myself and he replied to me. Luckily I did not get any money from him. I suspect he might have known me from before, when I played this game and abandoned my account later. Though I don't remember having known anybody with such a peculiar style of writing messages: no capital letters or punctuation marks.

Edited by Rua - 15 Nov 2014 at 15:59
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 17:10
Keep the comments civil, players, or I will simply remove them and possibly the player from the forums, no warnings other than this one.

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 17:28
Glin, I was simply stating my experiences as a counter point to your statements. I am not required to accept your statements at any value. I have no idea what your experiences are since there is no player with your in-game name. Perhaps you can elaborate?
Bonfyr Verboo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 18:02
This whole situation is sad and bewildering for many.  Attempts to use it to create a moral panic are unnecessary and counterproductive.
Tamaeon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 19:51
I don't think the devs wanted to ban these players, but after reading SC's post... I can only conclude that they had no choice. Anyone who exploits the system of any game for such huge amounts of currency, will invariably get banned. No game developer or admin can allow themselves the luxury of letting such an action go unpunished. Zero tolerance was the only move here.

That said, it's a shame that we lost good players like Odd/Nesse... but he must have known that the consequences would be severe if they got caught.

It's quite clear that these players grossly underestimated how thoroughly the Devs would research the entire issue.

As far as I'm concerned the Devs have handled this one in an exemplary manner Clap

edit: corrected spelling mistakes

Edited by Tamaeon - 15 Nov 2014 at 19:54
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 21:38
Its impossible to know what most players involved were thinking when they were receiving massive amounts of free gold. Is this a scam/cheat? Is this a rich benefactor selling prestige to spread the wealth? etc...

All i'll say is i've played games where this cheating is rampant and i've played games where rich players, who spend $50k - $100k without batting an eyelash, (i'm playing such a game now) freely spread the wealth among their alliance and friends.
Berde View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 23:00
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

... i've played games where rich players, who spend $50k - $100k without batting an eyelash, (i'm playing such a game now) freely spread the wealth among their alliance and friends.

Clearly, I need richer friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic