FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed05NOV14 - COPPA and age restrictions explained

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:42
Will the minor's cities disappear? It seems wrong to me for someone to use the leftover resources. I think the issue is far too serious for that. Just make the map the way it was when the account was begun?
Ubiquitous Feral
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:46
She was not a minor Ubiquitous.  If she had been this would not be such a hot button issue.
Baesil View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:48
If the company were genuinely trying to be COPPA compliant, it would have had a self verification at log in or at character creation. This is an easy fix, so easy it was apparently done overnight to cover for what seems to be unexpected blowback from a rash, arbitrary, and disproportionate decision.

Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:51
 Stormcrow,

"Specifically it is about a 12, or younger, person claiming to be older when joining and then letting it slip to the site operator that they are younger.  In that case the operator is supposed to take action." - Lagavulin

"

Which is exactly what happened in this case.  I'm not sure what your point is here?  Maybe I didn't explain my original point very well, for which apologies." - Stormcrow

Stormcrow, I think you did not read to the end of my paragraph.  The very next line was "It is not about, and does not say it is about, a person who jokes, or lies, about being younger."

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:55
Originally posted by Lagavulin Lagavulin wrote:

Stormcrow, I think you did not read to the end of my paragraph.  The very next line was "It is not about, and does not say it is about, a person who jokes, or lies, about being younger."
Oh, kk - I get it now. 

It's about people who joke or lie about being older, and then self-identify as being younger.  

Thanks for bringing clarity.

Regards,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:57
Originally posted by Baesil Baesil wrote:

If the company were genuinely trying to be COPPA compliant, it would have had a self verification at log in or at character creation. This is an easy fix, so easy it was apparently done overnight to cover for what seems to be unexpected blowback from a rash, arbitrary, and disproportionate decision.

You could put it like that.  Or perhaps you could instead say that it's a great example of a rapid and responsive team taking and implementing a suggestion from a player on a hot-button issue to hopefully improve the experience for everyone?

Regards,

SC
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 21:59
Originally posted by Ubiquitous Feral Ubiquitous Feral wrote:

Will the minor's cities disappear? It seems wrong to me for someone to use the leftover resources. I think the issue is far too serious for that. Just make the map the way it was when the account was begun?

If a player is banned from a game, eventually their cities will fade from the map unless used somehow. (attacked, etc.) Nothing changes, it's the same as if a player left the game or abandoned. 

If you need more on the topic, go here: http://www.illyriad.co.uk/Support/Account

Thanks!

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Ellieh View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 22:01
Since this issue has apparently been resolved after the fact, is it possible that a player that this affected before the "fix" was put into place could now go about proving their age to Illyriad employees, by means of providing proof of date of birth?  I realize that Illyriad does not want to do this for everyone, but as it has been stated, this would not be necessary since this issue has been remedied with the new fix last night, and only one member that I am aware of is actively asking to come back to the game following an age-related ban.  Therefore, it does not seem that it would be of great concern to verify one person's age. 

This solution would take a short period of time out of one employees day (most of the burden would be on the player providing the documentation) and would satisfy many customers of the game, therefore stopping more players from leaving, ending the barrage of questions and complaints in GC, via IGM, on this forum post, via email, etc. 
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 22:12
Originally posted by Ellieh Ellieh wrote:

Since this issue has apparently been resolved after the fact, is it possible that a player that this affected before the "fix" was put into place could now go about proving their age to Illyriad employees, by means of providing proof of date of birth?  I realize that Illyriad does not want to do this for everyone, but as it has been stated, this would not be necessary since this issue has been remedied with the new fix last night, and only one member that I am aware of is actively asking to come back to the game following an age-related ban.  Therefore, it does not seem that it would be of great concern to verify one person's age. 

This solution would take a short period of time out of one employees day (most of the burden would be on the player providing the documentation) and would satisfy many customers of the game, therefore stopping more players from leaving, ending the barrage of questions and complaints in GC, via IGM, on this forum post, via email, etc. 

No, this will not be possible. And if it was possible, we would not discuss it in the forums. 

GM Rikoo

EDIT: See below. :)

Edited by GM Rikoo - 05 Nov 2014 at 22:20
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 22:14
Originally posted by Ellieh Ellieh wrote:

I'm afraid not.

This idea has two major issues:

1. It means we'd have to receive & handle personal data to prove age (driving licence, credit card, whatever) about an individual that we don't want to have legal duty of care to handle.  We store as little personal data as humanly possible, and is why we don't (for example) process our own credit card transactions, instead using PayPal and google wallet to handle sensitive personal data on our behalf.  We're simply not set up to handle personal data under any of the relevant legislation (the UK's Data Protection Act, or the ISO 270001 certification) for handling or storing personal data securely.

2. Even if we could, we wouldn't want to set this precedent even as a one-off, as it would fall precisely into the category of "selective enforcement of the rules" and arbitrariness that we're accused of on the previous page.

Regards,

SC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic