illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

14OCT14 - Prestige Scrolls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Aral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 06:48
Originally posted by Merlinus Merlinus wrote:

Do I actually see a value for Trove?? YES!! Thumbs Up

It almost makes the Consone war worth it!
Aral Llc is not responsible for any grievous bodily harm sustained while reading this signature. No rights reserved.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 12:45
Originally posted by Glin Glin wrote:

This is a great gift for newbs, or tourny players. I worry about this becoming mandatory for surrenders, though.

That is a potential downside. However, it does make an interesting contest prize, and is a different way of providing prestige than the alliance pool.
Jiminy Wilkestuff View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jiminy Wilkestuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 18:26
Wow, this game gets better and better. Thanks dev team! 

One question though. Do I have to worry about prestige scrolls being stolen from my cities by thieves?
Ammianus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ammianus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 20:14
I think this is the worst idea in a game to allow the transfer of money.

Do the DEVs want to kill Illy ?

All the games I have been playing do not allow it and for a good reason in my opinion.

It paves the way to extortion between players.

The minimum requirement would be to absolutely forbid any threat involving prestige with the penalty of immediate removal from the game with no exception.

Most likely  future peace arrangements may include the transfer of prestige (money). Which is completely unacceptable.
Qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non causa.
[Vegetius]
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 20:15
Originally posted by Jiminy Wilkestuff Jiminy Wilkestuff wrote:

Wow, this game gets better and better. Thanks dev team! 

One question though. Do I have to worry about prestige scrolls being stolen from my cities by thieves?

No, only through blockades.

Do you WANT them to be thieved? :)

GM Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 20:19
Originally posted by Ammianus Ammianus wrote:

I think this is the worst idea in a game to allow the transfer of money.

Do the DEVs want to kill Illy ?

All the games I have been playing do not allow it and for a good reason in my opinion.

It paves the way to extortion between players.

The minimum requirement would be to absolutely forbid any threat involving prestige with the penalty of immediate removal from the game with no exception.

Most likely  future peace arrangements may include the transfer of prestige (money). Which is completely unacceptable.

I've been asked about this several times. Of course, the ultimate decision would come from the developers, but as of yet a player CAN tell you to give them Prestige scrolls... or else. It's a gameplay mechanic. Illyriad has always been a "hardcore" game, and this falls in line with that design.

Now that I made that point, I want to make clear that a player cannot do something like "Give me prestige scrolls or I'll hack your account" or "send me prestige scrolls or I will do something to you in real life." That crosses the boundaries no matter what the price.

This solution will probably help more than anything, as it will cut down on people "selling" prestige (as they already do) by allowing a sitter to buy the prestige or to allow someone access to an account by sharing passwords.

GM Rikoo

Ammianus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammianus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 21:15
Sorry Rikoo, I am not so happy with your reply.

It didn't really address my concerns about the use of prestige.
The connection to Real life is independent of prestige or non prestige. and as such nothing new.
The new situation arises from trying to force a player to buy prestige (to spend money) to achieve a goal.

and this is a new intermediate quality of  threat which can be exerted on players. the high level RL threat, the spend money threat, and lowest the give cities or resources threat. In my opinion only the last one should be acceptable in a game. Actually I have been playing many games of this type and with the exception of a poor economic game they all do not allow transfer of money derived commodities and I don't think this is accidental. I still think Illyriad is the best up to now. I have no objection using some money to improve my account, which i do all the time,  but I will never tolerate to be "forced" to sponsor some one else account.

And it is a bit surprising to me you call Illyriad a "Hardcore game" as a reasoning for making it even harder on players. Already peace terms can be much worse than they are in most other games in my experience, which I wouldn't consider soft at all, if  I am in constant year long wars.

Well in any case I will not bow to any threat of the above mentioned type and rather abandon or be reduced to one city. Depending on circumstances after a petition.

Qui secundos optat eventus, dimicet arte, non causa.
[Vegetius]
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 21:21

Sorry Rikoo, I am not so happy with your reply.

It didn't really address my concerns about the use of prestige.
The connection to Real life is independent of prestige or non prestige. and as such nothing new.
The new situation arises from trying to force a player to buy prestige (to spend money) to achieve a goal.

and this is a new intermediate quality of  threat which can be exerted on players. the high level RL threat, the spend money threat, and lowest the give cities or resources threat. In my opinion only the last one should be acceptable in a game. Actually I have been playing many games of this type and with the exception of a poor economic game they all do not allow transfer of money derived commodities and I don't think this is accidental. I still think Illyriad is the best up to now. I have no objection using some money to improve my account, which i do all the time,  but I will never tolerate to be "forced" to sponsor some one else account.

And it is a bit surprising to me you call Illyriad a "Hardcore game" as a reasoning for making it even harder on players. Already peace terms can be much worse than they are in most other games in my experience, which I wouldn't consider soft at all, if  I am in constant year long wars.

Well in any case I will not bow to any threat of the above mentioned type and rather abandon or be reduced to one city. Depending on circumstances after a petition.

I understand what you are saying, but it's already possible to completely destroy a player's cities -- over and over -- essentially stopping them from playing the game. This is and always has been a possibility, yet I rarely if ever hear complaint about that. Also, losing prestige can already happen to someone who has spent prestige and is then destroyed. Or, they can lose mountains of time as well.

In other words, the game is already very punishing. If someone "threatens" you (again, only in the way that is allowed by the game, not in real life) then it is simply up to you to bow to the threat, seek help or just wait to see how bad it gets. 

Again, though, if it appears to become a major issue we might -- or might not -- look into the issue. I cannot say either way right now.

GM Rikoo

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 22:20

It's worth mentioning that prestige extortion has been an available mechanic ever since we introduced the alliance prestige pool, ie "Join my alliance and put prestige into the alliance prestige pool, then I kick you from the alliance and use your prestige... or else".

To my knowledge that's not yet happened - despite being an option for more than a couple of years.

Regards,

SC
Grego View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 23:56
You know Codex Gigas, largest manuscript in the world? Nothing good can come out of it  LOL

Seriously, allow plebs to read something too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic