illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Settle Spots - using the data!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Settle Spots - using the data!
    Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 14:32
Between the 'world map' and 'player towns', one can find the ideal settle spots with good sovereignty options. It takes a bit of number-crunching, and additional data, to eliminate occupied and uninhabitable sites, and weight the good ones. Here's a slightly unhelpful preview.

Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 15:23
Grrr...  how cunning to blacken those coordinates Tongue

Great list!
I'll put forward some silly ideas of mine, knowing quite well I won't have enough patience to make such a stunning list myself...

You count in the number of neighbours heavily into your ranking (cutting the score in half for 1 neighbour?).
I don't know which radius you took for determine those, but maybe you could make a even better score when calculating the actual radius for those 1 neighbour squares and taking this as an additional weighting factor?
Might put forward some interesting spots with the neighbour sitting just at the edge of the circle Wink

Oh, and are those neighbours distinguished along confed or not? Might work with taking the alliance ID and comparing with a manual list of confed...
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 15:31
Most of your guesses are correct, and your enhancements would be useful.
Indeed, it's always possible add more useful refinements, and vary the criteria.

This list was a 'quick win', using SQL that was mildly efficient. Sometimes, it's quicker to investigate the listed squares manually, than to code further refinements.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 16:20
What db/SQL tool did you use?
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 16:23
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

What db/SQL tool did you use?
Access, because it was convenient. For a website, or for less trivial use, it would have been something else.
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 15:15
Could you tell me where you get the Region name <=> Region ID match? Or did you do that on your own?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 19:53
hmmm ... Area 51 looks intriguing.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 12:29
Originally posted by Digioso Digioso wrote:

Could you tell me where you get the Region name <=> Region ID match? Or did you do that on your own?
A manually-entered table. I couldn't find it quickly in the Illy client-side OM.
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 13:25
Thanks Albatross. :)
I created the table myself this weekend. :D

And @Rill: Believe me: Area 51 is not intriguing one bit. :)
There are other areas... Areas... without a name. Area 51 has a name: High Hills
Other areas... like Area 60. They don't even have a name!
Don't believe me? Check out the area name for location -954|-2666.
There's more than 2k spots like this in the game btw. :)

Well... I believe they're bugs and I already informed the devs about them.
Fridericus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fridericus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 18:09
How the hell did you do this? After a lot of digging I came up with a bunch of queries that calculate FoodSov, but the lookup takes forever due to the amount of rows. This is my first time using Access, so I may be doing something terribly inefficiently.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic