illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738>
Author
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 15:40
Originally posted by Alcie Alcie wrote:

That's actually a good question. My city certainly didn't have a vault. Vaults were very unpopular back then.. not sure if anyone thought to put one in their crafting city or not--most of us were more thinking about defense against monstrous armies at the time rather than the tentacles escaping.

My thought on "swift and ruinous" are the corrupted that are immediately returned once Audrey begins beating.  We've picked up on the fact that you only need to send one harvester/diplo/van/army man to get your 5% chance of winning the tentacle lottery so no one has sent a large number which would generate a large return.  The single corrupted attacks, for the most part, just bounce off of our city walls and the good sanitation folks carry the carcass off to the incinerator.  I'm leaning against the encampment or blockade idea as being necessary to retain the tentacles from escaping.

I'm trying to organize potential factors to help identify the one(s) that we are missing to progress in this quest.  I'll release the data to participants who complete my survey heading into the next Audrey awakening.  
Here are the factors I've got so far, please feel free to add any thoughts and I'll try to incorporate them in my survey:
  • Is a level 20 vault present in the city?
  • Is there a level 20 specialty crafting building (Orc - Swordsmith, Elf - Bowyer,  Human - Chain Armorer, Dwarf - Plate Armourer) in the city?
  • Is the city built to completion (all structures and wall at level 20)?
  • Is the city surrounded by encampments?
  • Is the city surrounded by a military blockade?
  • Is there direct reinforcement of the city?
    • If using encampments, blockades, reinforcement, what races are present?
  • Is the city surrounded by sov claims?
  • What did you send to help awaken Audrey?
  • What did you send to participate in the tentacle lottery while Audrey was awake?
How about the moon?  Is there anything else related to the moon that we should try?  Does the Duraz or Fortune Teller visit depend on the phase of the moon? 

Do we know who is at this stage so we can try to reach out and encourage participation?

Thanks!
Jamie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 18:07
The greatest quest ? ok
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 22:10
Another question... What happens if you send spies to the Fortune Teller but only get the lame message back about "bigger things in the future" or whatever?  I don't get the Master Crafted Chainmail response.  All research is done.  A chainmail armorer is present.  What else is missing?
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 22:25
Sometimes you don't get the message on the first try. No idea why. People have said that for years.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 22:52
My belief is that the message that says to keep the tentacles safe and to enlist your friends indicates that surrounding you town with 8 occupying armies may be sufficient to stop the tentacles escaping.
Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 00:21
To Wartow:

You should resend!
The message allowing you to visit successfully Duraz Karag is random...
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 01:10
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

My belief is that the message that says to keep the tentacles safe and to enlist your friends indicates that surrounding you town with 8 occupying armies may be sufficient to stop the tentacles escaping.

Haven't people tried that already? The first guy to make a big deal about the quest had a couple dozen armies camped all around his town, covering all squares. The first tentacles just appeared further away, right?
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Alcie View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 05:20
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Haven't people tried that already? The first guy to make a big deal about the quest had a couple dozen armies camped all around his town, covering all squares. The first tentacles just appeared further away, right?

I believe when myself and others (Nesse, Epidemic, etc. etc.) tried all this the first time back in 2014, no one was quite fast enough to surround all 8 corners before one tentacle-square grew up. We hadn't known beforehand that was a thing to try. Some people stopped the growth after one square, others let many squares grow, sometimes in funny directions. In later years when Audrey woke again people tried the surrounding the city technique but I have never heard of anyone getting the correct system messages about the tentacles escaping on the new moon,so either people have figured something out and are being quiet or later generations somehow messed up even more than the first generation did.

And I don't mean 'messed up' as a pejorative. The mystery is hard >.< Personally I thought I understood most of it and every time an experiment doesn't repeat the same way I get more and more confused. So..I say try anything! Whether or not people think it has been tried. Something has to work xD

Edited by Alcie - 01 Mar 2018 at 05:23
Hopper View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 09:01
Even if some people found something, nobody seems to have obtained the racial crafting ability!
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 15:00
I don't think the quest is this hard by design. I suspect the code is broken, or the steps are way too intolerant of failure. For example, someone with "basement tentacles" told me that they sent more diplos to the Fortune Teller, and then nothing happened when Audrey beat the next time. It's nearly impossible for players to test, since it takes an enormous effort to wake Audrey, and the specific sequence is obscure. Audrey herself seems designed for a server with 100000 active players, not 2000-4000.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738>
  Share Topic