illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
Author
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!
    Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 18:59

The fortune teller's eyes go wide.

"I see you...

And I see your exceedingly skilled crafters.

Wait a moment."

She pauses in meditation, for what seems like hours, before suddenly jerking her head up and looking directly into your spies' eyes.

"You seek to learn the mystery of Dwarven Champion's Armour.

The next time I am with your kith, I will ask.

It will, however, cost you. Be prepared. I will be in touch."

Your diplomatic mission is heading home, alternately pondering and dismissing these words of wisdom.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Your gatekeepers report that a wizened old woman arrived earlier in the day at ******.

She did not enter the city but instead pressed a note into the hands of the gate officer, saying "Give this to your master. He is expecting it."

She left immediately without further word; shuffling off down the road with surprising speed.

The note reads:

"I have spoken with those whom I mentioned; those who guard the secret ways of Duraz Karag.

They may be willing to share their secret, if you prove yourself worthy.

If you still seek this knowledge then there are three tasks you must complete to prove your worth.

Firstly, you must prove your ability to collect unusual materials.

Procure the following items in the following quantities:
x5 tentacles
x5 "
x5 "
x5 "

When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from ***** to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

Do not fail in this, for your reputation is at risk."

There is no signature on the note.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Your diplomat walks quietly around the empty halls, his footsteps echoing in the silence underneath the arches of the ruined cathedral ceiling.

Spotting a gentle glow emanating behind a ruined pillar, he carefully and quietly peers behind the rubble.

His initial trepidation is replaced by a sense of wonderment as he sees the vague, shimmering outline of a great Dwarven warrior, resplendent in ancient armour. Despite the ghostly shape's clearly unnatural nature, he feels nothing but calm.

The translucent figure speaks with a deep, slow voice; although it appears his lips do not move.

" You have done well thus far, and may yet prove yourself worthy.

You must keep these terrible boils of corrupted flesh safe in your town.

I warn you. Do not send them out, do not transfer them away. Keep them safe whilst you prepare yourself.

When the dread corruption rises again, ****** will be in dire peril. Secure this town as best you can; you may wish to seek assistance from your compatriots, as the onslaught will be swift and ruinous when the time comes.

Survive this test, and you will have but a single trial ahead of you before the secret will be yours. "

The mysterious figure fades into the background, and after searching the ruins thoroughly, your diplomat returns home.

An old crone arrives at the doors of ******.

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:

"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.

Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.

I wish you luck, Epidemic [Siege]. Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."

As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.

Your quartermaster knocks quietly at the door of your study.

He looks perturbed, and you beckon him to speak.

"My liege... I don't know how to put this.

I know you entrusted us to protect those foul and corrupted tentacles deep within the city stores - a task we have not taken lightly.

However, my liege, they're... they're gone. Vanished."

He takes you to the stores to show you, and gestures to the once sturdy but now partially broken glass jars that held each tentacle in preserving fluid.

"See? They've been taken. We've searched the entire area, but it's been more difficult than expected to see anything at this late hour - the thief must've planned this for the New Moon tonight!"

The quartermaster continues to talk as you survey the area - but a sudden chill runs down your spine as you realise that the way the shattered fragments of glass have fallen would suggest that they were shattered from the inside of the jar.

"Anyway", says the quartermaster, "We'll continue our search through the night and at first light tomorrow, though, don't you worry - the entire guard is out looking for this foolish thief!"

You return to your study, deep in thought.

Knocking softly on your door, the Captain of The Guard asks for a moment of your time.

"My liege, we've been receiving... what I can only describe as disturbing reports from the land around this fair city.

Villagers working outside the city have started... disappearing. We cannot find any trace of them anywhere.

When it was just a couple of villagers, the people believed that it was likely to be the work of wild animals - or perhaps a small pack of trolls travelling up from the South.

However, when reports came to my ears of a small village that had simply vanished in the night, I rode out to investigate.

It is as they say. There's simply no one there anymore; cooking pots and pans were still warm from the night's fire. Just... a dead village remained. No animals, no birds, no people. Nothing.

Nothing remains to indicate what has happened to the good people of the land, and the neighboring townspeople are frightened.

We're at a loss as to what to do, frankly. Perhaps whatever is responsible will show itself in the light of day?"

He thanks you for your time, promises to report anything suspicious, and leaves you to your thoughts.

The Captain of The Guard bangs urgently on your door.

"My liege, the horror has shown itself, and is outside the city walls!

We do not know what to do; it appears immune to our attacks!

We shall try and contain the monstrosity, so it does not spread it's filth any further afield; any military help you can give us to contain it in place would surely not be in vain!!"

He takes his leave, and dashes out of the castle.

Edited by Epidemic - 13 Jun 2015 at 09:02
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 19:01

Edited by Epidemic - 07 Dec 2014 at 19:14
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Epidemic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 19:03

Edited by Epidemic - 07 Dec 2014 at 19:13
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 18:30
Exciting!

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Arctic55 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arctic55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 04:02
... this doesn't really help except that we now know what we need to get the actual blueprint? I get the feeling that the devs haven't finished the path to the restricted crafting blueprints and this was just the part most recently completed. But at any rate, congrats Epid!
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:08
Thanks, Epidemic, for posting the full texts regarding the quest!

I guess we will know the next quest in a month or two. For the time being, I intend to keep posting status reports in the "Don't get eaten" tournament thread. http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/player-tournament-dont-get-eaten_topic5767_page1.html
Anyway, today Audrey has 57 corrupted squares of the 73 required.
Edit: 73, it is 73!

Edited by Nesse - 27 Aug 2014 at 18:22
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 15:59
How do you know its 63 squares?
Do the tendril and heart squares count at all?
Do the temples need to be corrupted before they start corrupting units sent there?
Regards
Dung
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 22:48
Research confirms that diplomatic units do NOT have to go right to the Heart to be "consumed".  Any corrupted square can "consume" diplomatic units.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 23:56
The temples only work when the heart is beating. Then they become named squares. I can't remember what the three "Temple of" names were anymore, but it's in another thread.
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 17:01
still only 58sq corrupted + 9sq audrey = is no-one adding ion any extra military?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 38>
  Share Topic