illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Peaceful Illy Group (PIG)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 01:04
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

Illyriad is a strange game in that war actually makes people leave the game, rather than engaging with it more.
what i have observed is that it is the peace after the war that causes players to leave, because they have lost so much they do not have the interest to rebuild, because they are exhausted from the sustained effort an illy war demands, or because they cannot live with the new balance of power. most players who leave during war leave for rl reasons, and that is mostly a reflection of how very long an illy war takes to play out.

edited to clean up quote tags.

Edited by Angrim - 10 Sep 2014 at 01:06
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 01:55
I agree with Angrim's observations. There seemed to be very few rage quits among the combatants. Additionally, it seems that several players jettisoned primary, alt, and permasat accounts that had been badly battle damaged, but they did not leave the game as a player.

Illyriad has an exhausting battle system that takes months to enact wars. War here is much slower than all other MMORTS games I have played, by an order of magnitude or more. It is not surprising that a few people grew weary and left for a game with reduced time demands.
Arctic55 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arctic55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 08:33
For example, one other game I started playing after this war, has such a quick battle system that wars can be declared and finished withing a few hours or a few days. I mean, I was part of a battle/war where in a few hours, almost 6 million troops were lost. Then peace reigned again. My side won for those of you wondering.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 09:42
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

... it is the peace after the war that causes players to leave, because they have lost so much they do not have the interest to rebuild, because they are exhausted from the sustained effort an illy war demands, or because they cannot live with the new balance of power. most players who leave during war leave for rl reasons, and that is mostly a reflection of how very long an illy war takes to play out.

Maybe so. My time away from the game was more for RL reasons, i.e. working 12-hour days (which I'm still doing, but merrily finding cracks in the day to play here with you all!). There is another dimension, though: for me, the Coalition/Consone war was incredibly satisfying. I played the game for 9 months prior to that war and never had a chance to try out military, diplo, or magic in relation to full-out combat. After that protracted war, where I had the chance to experience all of those other gaming elements, there was a kind of closure. In many ways, wars around here are a catharsis; people are playing and biding their time for when they can play the war-end of Illyriad. After that happens, maybe going back to peacetime feels a bit empty from a gaming perspective?

Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 14:59
Maybe someone should start an alliance dedicated to constant war tournaments? I have often argued that Illy wars start out of boredom, fueled by all the big armies with nothing else to do. The dev-run tournaments are a little dry; King-of-the-hill isn't very sophisticated relative to the complexity of their battle system.
Ficho View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ficho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 19:16
Allow people to work. I sincerely hope they will be out of job.

Assumption is mother of all frauds.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 03:36
All--

While we received an overwhelming response from the alliances in Illy in joining PIG and expressing an interest in the initiative, it seems that Illy, as a community, does not have an appetite for formalizing the means to protect accounts in times of war... We have had a number of extremely helpful folks and incredibly good efforts from a few, and for that, Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your efforts weren't in vain, I hope! Hopefully we have raised the awareness to this issue...

But the majority of the alliances seemed to view this as an exercise in trying to find faults in the effort instead of contributing to it. I also suspect that my involvement couldn't be gotten over by some of the alliances involved. So, I'm leaving PIG. I'll still follow their forums and leave the effort in my fellow founder, Hath's, capable hands.

We set out to do, what, in my opinion, is the most noble effort ever tried in Illy (after Starry founded the first Training alliance) and we tried hard. But the bottom line is that a server wide convention needs enthusiasm from all the alliances and we received mostly objections.

To those whose supported this effort, THANK YOU!!!

To those who made huge efforts to thwart it, I can only hope that you are never on the receiving end of a war where you would have been able to take "Parole" and leave.  And if you are, you will probably second guess your resistance to this effort. But as of today, no alliances have formally stated and agreed upon terms where they will not exterminate accounts and so we are still at status quo ante bellum.

On a side note, I really appreciate all the kind words of support from all of you and active support some of you gave. Truly appreciated. This type of effort was a long shot even in the wake of such an obviously destructive war. But, unfortunately, too many of the victims are gone to obviously influence a server consensus. Maybe after we go through another round, or two, or more, we will wake up. Or maybe not. I guess it's just human nature to tear down and not build.

Kumo
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 04:20
I have held my tongue thus far, but I will not stand by and see Kumomoto playing the victim here without responding.

In my experience of PIG, Kumomoto spent most of his time complaining about horribly he was treated in the last war -- in spite of the fact that he and his alt both emerged with 10 cities intact.

If he had focused a bit more on the actual proceedings of the group rather than on harping on how horrible half of the other people in the group had been, then they might have been more willing to work with him.

As for me, I was willing to be patient and overlook his behavior in the interest of getting things done.  But Kumomoto kicked me out of the group for a simple copy and paste error in global chat, an error for which I immediately apologized.

I now wonder whether participation in the group was for some folks a cynical effort to "pretend" for the future that certain folks attempted to do something that would have created a graceful way out of war.  Perhaps the fact that occurred to me indicates that some residual bitterness remained for me as well.  Maybe the whole thing was undertaken too soon.  (Perhaps it should have been done soon(tm) instead?)

For the record, the proposal developed by the group was very similar to the actual policy implemented during the war, which allowed people who were sick of war to make peace and exit the war, whether for personal or game reasons.  I continue to support this as a policy.  People who don't want to be part of a war should have the opportunity for peace with honor.  What this should look like exactly was what PIG was struggling to define while I was a participant.

This game is supposed to be fun, and even when we are at war, we are still all part of this community.

Perhaps at some point in the future after wounds have healed a little more, additional progress can be made.

Anyway, I want to express my appreciation to the members of the group for trying.  Best wishes to Hath and those still there.  I look forward to seeing your proposals.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 04:24
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

Maybe someone should start an alliance dedicated to constant war tournaments? I have often argued that Illy wars start out of boredom, fueled by all the big armies with nothing else to do. The dev-run tournaments are a little dry; King-of-the-hill isn't very sophisticated relative to the complexity of their battle system.

I really like this idea!  Some people have tried it from time to time -- it would be interesting to hear (perhaps on another thread) what people perceive as some of the barriers to this would be.  I think a lot of it has to do with the time it takes to coordinate such efforts.

One of my favorite experiences in Illy was the Christmas challenge that Kurdruk sponsored in the fall of 2011.  Our armies were small, we were inexperienced, but it was loads of fun!
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumomoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 05:16
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I have held my tongue thus far, but I will not stand by and see Kumomoto playing the victim here without responding.

In my experience of PIG, Kumomoto spent most of his time complaining about horribly he was treated in the last war -- in spite of the fact that he and his alt both emerged with 10 cities intact.

If he had focused a bit more on the actual proceedings of the group rather than on harping on how horrible half of the other people in the group had been, then they might have been more willing to work with him.

As for me, I was willing to be patient and overlook his behavior in the interest of getting things done.  But Kumomoto kicked me out of the group for a simple copy and paste error in global chat, an error for which I immediately apologized.

I now wonder whether participation in the group was for some folks a cynical effort to "pretend" for the future that certain folks attempted to do something that would have created a graceful way out of war.  Perhaps the fact that occurred to me indicates that some residual bitterness remained for me as well.  Maybe the whole thing was undertaken too soon.  (Perhaps it should have been done soon(tm) instead?)

For the record, the proposal developed by the group was very similar to the actual policy implemented during the war, which allowed people who were sick of war to make peace and exit the war, whether for personal or game reasons.  I continue to support this as a policy.  People who don't want to be part of a war should have the opportunity for peace with honor.  What this should look like exactly was what PIG was struggling to define while I was a participant.

This game is supposed to be fun, and even when we are at war, we are still all part of this community.

Perhaps at some point in the future after wounds have healed a little more, additional progress can be made.

Anyway, I want to express my appreciation to the members of the group for trying.  Best wishes to Hath and those still there.  I look forward to seeing your proposals.

"Victim"??? I've never claimed to be a victim? I'm just trying to be someone who tried to do something good for Illy... But really, really nice try at disparaging me...

And Rill's true colours come flying out.

She purposefully "leaked" the initial draft of our convention on purpose to GC and she was consistently against the entire effort. Thank you, though, Rill for showing your true colours!

Very helpful in letting everyone know that you purposefully tanked this noble initiative out of personal hatred for me. This should show how "altruistic", "in it for the server and not herself", and "noble" Rill truly is...

I truly hope that Rill will get behind this initiative now that I've left and she herself can get over her personal animosity. If she actually were half as interested in peace (despite her alliance being one of the main perpetrators of the genocide), she would throw her full weight behind this initiative now that I'm gone. Please, please make it happen, Rill! I will gladly bite through my tongue and join you if you decide to be positive towards this instead of negative and try to make it happen...

You seem more interested in bad mouthing our noble efforts. Telling.

Edited by Kumomoto - 02 Oct 2014 at 05:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic