illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

14Jun14 - Tenaril's Capitals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Demonic Spoon View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demonic Spoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 07:51
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

you cant make a 7 food to a 1 food to would be people making 7 food to a 5 food.

I'm sorry but I'm just not quite getting what you're trying saying here. Rephrase? Guessing at you're meaning, to the best of my theoretical knowledge it's entirely possible to turn a 7 food square into a 1 food square if you tenaril a city you have settled on a 1-food square.
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 11:38
Originally posted by Artefore Artefore wrote:

What's the big issue with terraforming?  It's opening up spaces in elgea that wouldn't be nearly as good as they are without it, enabling players who either don't want to make the big move down to BL or who aren't able to expand easily due to proximity to other people to grow.  

It's not even closely related to permasitting, it's actually impossible to do with a permasat account.  

Oh, and it appears the newbies can make some good money by making alts and selling them to established players, which is a win-win situation for all involved.  

It's a game mechanic, and the devs have been aware of it for a long time.  I'm not sure why they would become suddenly opposed to it, as it's encouraging growth in their game.  

Good with some support.

I also like this function and see it as a positive factor in the world, making more things possible.
It wasn't really that hard before either, just took a bit longer.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 11:55
I don't know something that needs starting a new account for doing it in the game is bit dubious in my opinion since its not really option withing the game world.

Instead I wish there would spells that could enchant or change terrain to your liking.
Or option to just hire lot of serf to improve it.
Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 20:25
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Thinking that this somehow makes terraforming substantially more available than it was doesn't make a lot of sense.  Basically for the "professional" terraformer it skips the step of needing to have the capital city sieged down.  So it will be a little faster.  But honestly the main holdup for most experienced players who build an alt to terraform is losing the rainbow; a city can easily be built to 450 population (with a lot of outside support) and a settler built within 7 days.

I don't see this as a major game-changer from the "professional" terraformers perspective.

Being a professional Terraformer, I can tell you this is true.

I usually have my settler ready on day 5 or 6 (and that mainly because it takes 4 days to train one). Reaching 450 pop is done sooner. From that moment it's waiting until a siege army can be sent, which is when the rainbow drops. Demolishing buildings can be started as soon as the settler is on its way, by the way, since having 450 pop is no longer needed at that point.

All in all, it only wins you two days, on average.

Edited by Captain Kindly - 20 Jun 2014 at 20:26
Hora View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 22:49
+1 Thexion

...Even if it's totally legal...  I somehow think this is too much metagame. Confused

I'd really welcome a proper game mechanic, like you need a small village with >10 cotters working 10 days to switch a terrain type by +1/-1

That way, again small towns are favoured, but this time also established players with two VALID accounts can make use of that (when prepared to have a small terraforming village for some time...).

That way, it makes far more sense, it eliminates one reason for "fake" accounts, it's still hard to do (with the right parameters of time, costs, etc...)...

... AND:   The devs can brag with a really interactive worldmap in their advertisments  Wink

Edited by Hora - 20 Jun 2014 at 22:51
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nesse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 14:27
Originally posted by Hora Hora wrote:

+1 Thexion

...Even if it's totally legal...  I somehow think this is too much metagame. Confused

I'd really welcome a proper game mechanic, like you need a small village with >10 cotters working 10 days to switch a terrain type by +1/-1

That way, again small towns are favoured, but this time also established players with two VALID accounts can make use of that (when prepared to have a small terraforming village for some time...).

That way, it makes far more sense, it eliminates one reason for "fake" accounts, it's still hard to do (with the right parameters of time, costs, etc...)...

... AND:   The devs can brag with a really interactive worldmap in their advertisments  Wink

I second all of that. (Including the +1 to Thexion)
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 18:46
I talked to GM Stormcrow about what happens to squares that are Tenariled out to terraform.  He reassured me on this point; the map has many "self-healing" qualities, and they are monitoring the distribution of 7-food squares.  So my concerns about a great central desert was just me being a worrywart.

Although ... would that not have made an epic setup for a movie plot?
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2014 at 19:21
I do not like the terraforming because it makes it too easy to settle places which ought to be difficult to settle. We are seeing this in the lava wastelands in the Broken Lands now, and we saw it in the ice wastes before. I am all in favour of some kind of game mechanism to make such places liveable, but it should take much more effort and need constant maintenance. 

If maintaining the Tenaril effects on the land would cost mana and research per level of farm (or other production building) above the original limit of the square, that would help. Ideally, I would want to see some new magic research with a very high mana drain on the new geomancy spell but the possibility to also influence sovreign squares. Then we could get Tenaril changed to be the counterpart to Exodus: no Tenaril if you have more than one city.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic