illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tourney End Date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Evae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Evae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 21:12
Well, no need to get huffy about it.  Things were working, they ceased to work - from my perspective as a participant in my first Illy tournament.  One gets battle reports WHILE one has troops on the square, when one's armies are distroyed, one ceases to get reports.  If one is trying to keep track of actions on the disputed sq it is nice to have the information.  If the devs wish to make new rules for future tourneys, that is certainly their prerogative as is evidently their decision to shake up the tourney in play by making some of the parameters shift during the duration.

Cheers!

Cuchullain View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuchullain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 21:19
GM SC

Please don't!

When you're in a big military alliance with loads of troops to throw at the square it's great. When you are a small training alliance hoping to take a square and relying on the information you have, i.e. last battle report and the stats from the square, it is really important.

I have had the pleasure of winning a square with some of the most brilliant and determined trainees I have had the enjoyment of teaching, we were blind for the last 24 hours but fortunately we won.

Thank you and all the others for sorting this out! It has been too long and our members have loved every minute of it.

Please can we get back to having these bi-annually.

Thanks

Cuch
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 21:50
@SC: for a test sim, I might run 4 days. That should catch both beginning, middle, and end glitches.

I find the fighting summary to be mostly useful. It's really the force summary that's useful for occupiers.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 21:51
Originally posted by Evae Evae wrote:

Well, no need to get huffy about it.  

Huffiness doesn't come into it!  I'm just pointing out that we should probably be focusing on fixing bugs *before* putting new functionality, reports and whatnot into the game, which often just ends up biting us in the behind, as it has done here (albeit a very, very minor bite of little-to-no consequence.  Call it a "nip" if you like !)

Originally posted by Evae Evae wrote:

... as is evidently their decision to shake up the tourney in play by making some of the parameters shift during the duration.

If you're referring to the tournament end date - as I've already explained, no parameters changed.

There was a single digit date typo on the tournament page - but the official tournament rules page always had the correct date on it.  Amending a typo is not the same as changing the rules of a tournament.  The rules stayed the same throughout, as posted on the rules post on the rules thread in the tournament forum.

Regards,

SC
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2014 at 23:26
I do hope you're not serious about reconsidering posting tournament status in future tournaments.  As you noted, many people enjoy "watching" the tournament squares at least as much as participating in the tournament itself.

I hope that you were just using hyperbole to make a point -- as perhaps were some others in this thread.  I think most Illyrians are willing to tolerate the occasional snafu in the name of more fun for everyone.
lethargic0N3 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lethargic0N3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 00:13
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Huffiness doesn't come into it!  I'm just pointing out that we should probably be focusing on fixing bugs *before* putting new functionality, reports and whatnot into the game

Something the community has been pointing out for years...
Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daefis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 00:53
I don't understand how a tournament that was a simple paste and repeat of one that worked before didn't work this time... really feels like a step backwards.
I do appreciate that the dev's priorities are elsewhere these days but the lack of interest here is a bit sad.

Edited by Daefis - 25 May 2014 at 00:59
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 01:49
Originally posted by Daefis Daefis wrote:

I don't understand how a tournament that was a simple paste and repeat of one that worked before didn't work this time... really feels like a step backwards.
I do appreciate that the dev's priorities are elsewhere these days but the lack of interest here is a bit sad.

To try and explain.

In the 5 man-days of work it took to get this tournament together (please don't think it's a "simple paste and repeat" - you have literally no idea of what you're talking about)...

... when the specific dates were typed in by a member of the dev team, in two of the 15 code modules involved (modules from recording military outcomes; to suspending diplomatic relationships on specific squares on the map; to suspending alliance quitting / kicking when a player is on the tournament square; to monitoring changes in ultimate possession of tournament squares by battle, by diplo messenger, by expiring occupation orders; to displaying past combats on the website; to etc etc etc)....

... during this fairly massive undertaking, one of the dev team unfortunately pressed the number 4 instead of the number 5 on his keyboard, to produce the number "24" (of May) instead of the number "25" (of May).

Nothing to do with lack of interest, and nothing to do with other priorities - simply a typo that was carried across from the tournament end date on the ingame tournament page, further onto the "combat logging" code.

We do, of course, sincerely, honestly and humbly apologise; we are - shocking to admit - human, and we, too, make mistakes.  

Obviously, according to many of the petitions we've received, we clearly deliberately rigged the tournament in favour of [insert name of alliance that narrowly beat us here].  I especially enjoy the petitions accusing us of lying about changing the tournament end date, even when the rules post is clearly available on third party websites outside of our control, with datestamps in April. 

I enjoy tournaments, and I hope other people do.  And yes - like you all - I wish we could have an entirely bug-free tournament.  But if the only bug in this tournament is that combats on the very last day of 29 days of fighting weren't displayed in realtime on the tournament page... then I rather think that's a success, myself - and I'm genuinely sad if you think that running a large tournament with a minor error on the last day is actually a symptom of our neglect.  It's not.  It was a typo; nothing more and nothing less.

Regards,

SC
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 06:20
FYI Stormcrow, not all battle reports came through properly after the board stopped updating. I had 1 maybe 2 reports that gave me no results, no casualties either way and yet I cleared a sq. Arran was the sq. And it was right after 23:59hrs I think. I am not complaing, just thought it was useful infirmation.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2014 at 07:40
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

FYI Stormcrow, not all battle reports came through properly after the board stopped updating. I had 1 maybe 2 reports that gave me no results, no casualties either way and yet I cleared a sq. Arran was the sq. And it was right after 23:59hrs I think. I am not complaing, just thought it was useful infirmation.

That is very useful information, Mr D - tyvm.

If you can add more info (maybe on a petition if it's private stuff) with details such as your army name, city sent from, arrival time etc I can seek it out.

I think there may be some sort of "overflow" error whereby if the combat report email gets too large (or if a single variable in it hits an undealt-with NULL value)... then it simply doesn't send, and I'd love to track this one down; although it's rare, you're not the first to report this hapenning.  

If my hypothesis is valid, it's most likely to manifest when there are tons of defenders on a square, with lots of armies, divisions, commanders and mixed troops.  And one of the bloodiest squares on the culmination day of a tournament is probably an ideal candidate for this analysis! Smile

So all info you can impart (either here or in a petition) would be super-useful to track this one down.

Many thanks in advance,

SC

EDIT: I should quickly add that this is in no way related to the cessation of combat report logging on the last day; it's unrelated - but it's an outstanding bug due to "maximum participant force sizing" that I think might apply here.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 25 May 2014 at 07:42
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic