illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will the Tournament fizzle out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Trentonus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trentonus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will the Tournament fizzle out?
    Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:45

The tournament is now just past the half way stage and since most alliances only have a realistic chance of winning a regional prize I’m wondering whether it will largely fizzle out within the next week.

As I write 15 of the 37 regions have been decided (a single alliance has occupied them for more than 14 days) and a further 9 have had a single alliance holding the square for 10 days or more.
That would appear to leave only 13 as competitive.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 20:35
The "regional" alliances that have won their squares but have no chance of an overall win will either withdraw their troops or have them killed off by the "super-regional" alliances that are going for a global win.  The squares that have already been won will be the subject of bitter fighting between the 4-5 alliances who are vying for global honors.

Those squares that are geographically very remote might tend to stay pretty quiet.  Usually Larn gets pretty much no action ... ever.  Since VICX is vying for a global prize, there's a remote possibility that this tournament will be an exception.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 22:22
I'd expect those 13 squares to see casualties go through the roof. Alliances that don't care about ranking (total time) will start pulling troops from their victory squares and start trying to secure another square win.

I don't know if we will see mega-alliances try to sabotage each other's victory squares to ruin overall occupation time. I suppose it's possible.
TomBombadil View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomBombadil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 23:20
Competition for 3rd place might be out of reach since nobody bothered to really attack VICX (a bunch of alliances would have been vying for 3rd place had someone done so earlier on).
Some of the regional prizes are still a long way from being won, and alliances not in the run for global prizes still have a chance at winning 1 or 2 of those.

The competition for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd itself might also get very interesting if people start attacking the leading alliances just for fun (my troops certainly won't be spared a bloody death just because they can't fight for 3rd place anymore.. the blood tax must be paid!).
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gossip Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 02:21
Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

Competition for 3rd place might be out of reach since nobody bothered to really attack VICX (a bunch of alliances would have been vying for 3rd place had someone done so earlier on).

They weren't getting hit at their 3 squares and Absa decided to 'gift' trome to them.
Surely the end of competition for 3rd place.

VicX have lost more troops in elijal without holding it for a day than their casualties at all other squares. That's a sign I believe!

Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
scaramouche View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scaramouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:01
the tourney squares should of been relocated after each week like the last tourney...this would give others a chance to be more involved...fixing them continuously to one tile for the duration only allows the biggest alliances to camp it out in numbers and wait till the end.

I'm TAKING A PETITION to 10 Downing street and will be standing outside David Camerons house with my banner in protest to this.
NO..I dont do the Fandango!
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

the tourney squares should of been relocated after each week like the last tourney...this would give others a chance to be more involved...fixing them continuously to one tile for the duration only allows the biggest alliances to camp it out in numbers and wait till the end.
it's not only that, but also that the terrain varies in each region when the tourney square changes.
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 15:36
Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

Fixed tourney squares gives value to Illy's real estate. Like the trade hubs and the heart of corruption. Fixed tournament squares is a good feature to have. 

On the other hand, it may be nice to turn all tournament squares to 'plains'. That will avoid the problem of the biggest alliances camping out in numbers and waiting till the end.

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 16:13
I really enjoy tournaments, but that doesn't mean I want to be 1.5 squares away from the tournament action EVERY tourney.  I think it's good to mix it up and have some tourneys with fixed squares and other tourneys with squares that change every week.
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by Gossip Boy Gossip Boy wrote:

Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

They weren't getting hit at their 3 squares and Absa decided to 'gift' trome to them.
Surely the end of competition for 3rd place.

VicX have lost more troops in elijal without holding it for a day than their casualties at all other squares. That's a sign I believe!

Elijal will be mine. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic