illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Discuss the 10 sq rule with settlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 13:18
Originally posted by Diva Diva wrote:

There is ONE more thing I'd like to ask...
i'm not sure i understand the example; an image might help.

the effect of the 10-square rule properly executed (and i exclude Epidemic from this comment because he has geometrically peculiar ideas about the rule itself) is that each town has a five square radius in which is closer to it than to any other settlement. in concept, this allows each city involved to hunt or sov in a defined area around itself without fear of overlap with neighbours.

where that potential overlap is allowed by agreement (i.e., where a player has agreed to allow settlement within ten squares of an existing town), i (personally and as an eCrow rook) encourage players to agree in writing to the bounds of potential sov. lacking that, one falls back on the respective alliance policies (generally either first-claim or closest-town), but those policies can be in conflict and land agreements are invariably more difficult to conclude after they become disputes. this is one of the beneficial effects of the ten square rule--a request for settlement allows the established player to state the conditions under which s/he could live in harmony with a new neighbour, and the new neighbour has the opportunity to digest those conditions and determine if the target square is as advantageous as first imagined.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 06:49
oops, see post below Tongue

Edited by Diva - 08 Apr 2014 at 02:40
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 07:07
My example below .. I am LEGAL in the circle correct?  I can't  build a city over by any of those 7's around me after I exodus, tenaril, settle in on that ? But I have created my own 10 sq circumference.. do I need to ask anyone? can I build ALL over my 10 if I want to cluster? Of course building in someplace too close is friction, I understand that.. but I would choose to build (send settlers) to the outskirts of my neighbors. And I certainly would sov up to level 5 on one of the two sovs north, to get the benefit of the dolman, and exodus to it

The Green and Yellow city also have the same option, but to come close to ME now is friction and reason to ask to move, they are so to speak "now in my zone of preferences". They are unreasonable of course to settle there. But I am too far from their base of a single city in their 10! Would they sov all along to there.. I think not, expensive to do so. 

There are also veteran players who have already sov'd their 20 plots near their city and don't plan to change any plus have 10 cities.  

I am an example of having 20 squares already, figured it out, and placed buildings and other uses on my 20 squares. If I'm not changing anything, I would, could and will say yes to settlers, they are the ones to think about their own sov when they get there.

Edited by Diva - 07 Apr 2014 at 17:51
Gesar View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gesar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 05:44
I have an easy solution that would be profitable to the game owners, as it would encourage newcomers to join and feel they were participating equally. My solution is: create a duplicate Elgea, perhaps call it "Mirgea" (short for Mirror Elgea). Nice and empty! No development work necessary for the game designers! Fun for all!
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 05:54
That sort of goes against what the developers are trying to accomplish -- although it might be fun.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 05:55
If only.. Gesar, and sounds very plausible atm for space. no change to the current lands or nothing, just expansion of what we have.. 
I LIKE IT!
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 05:59

My example below .. I am LEGAL in the circle correct?  I can't  build a city over by any of those 7's around me after I exodus, tenaril, settle in on that ?
you are "legal" at the location you've selected. after settling, convention suggests that the five squares closest to your city in any direction are available for your city's use...but not necessarily for further settlement.

But I have created my own 10 sq circumference.. do I need to ask anyone? can I build ALL over my 10 if I want to cluster?
the 10 square rule is still in force, so if you settle within 10 of another city, the "rule" states that you should ask permission. distance to your city is not pertinent. (radius, not circumference.)

Of course building in someplace too close is friction, I understand that.. but I would choose to build (send settlers) to the outskirts of my neighbors. And I certainly would sov up to level 5 on one of the two sovs north, to get the benefit of the dolman, and exodus to it
you can't exodus to a dolmen, so i'm not sure what you're describing. sov freely within 5 squares for the food or other benefits. additional settlements require additional notifications.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 01:38
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

you can't exodus to a dolmen, so i'm not sure what you're describing. sov freely within 5 squares for the food or other benefits. additional settlements require additional notifications.

No, not to the dolmen, but there are two 7 food square next to the dolmen. and all that river front :)

That was just to clear the air, and WORK with my neighbors, and describing how it can be done legally, so the inference of "my 10sq rule from a neighbor" is just an argument for this so called rule.  No one can own it if its already overlapped by SEVERAL people when there was space previously or a legal space now.

You get my drift.

Edited by Diva - 13 Apr 2014 at 01:40
Arcangelo View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcangelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 04:42
Okay as a new player I want to understand this 10 sq unwritten courtsey rule better. Is it a 10 sq radius (which in efffecy becomes a very large 20 sq diameter) or a 5 sq radius? The 10 sq radius then equates to a 40 sq circumference (10 sq in all directions) around a city.
Now maybe in the beginning of the game it made it sense and could be easily adhered to. But with the growth of the game and new players joining, doesn't it seem prudent that it be reconsidered.
I mean don't you want the game to grow and new players added? I think the unwritten rule should be changed/amended to 5 sq radius, which gives you a 10 sq diameter and 20 Sq circumference.
Thoughts from GM's??
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 05:12
GMs won't provide input on player-driven guidelines.  They are responsible for game mechanics.

As practiced, it is a 10-square radius, although most alliance practice a "soft" 10-square radius in which they request consultation if it is within 10 squares, but agree to most settlements outside 5-6 squares.  There are of course exceptions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic