Topic ClosedIs war the sandbox endgame?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2013 at 03:11
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

I think what would be really interesting to see is what would happen if alliances could claim huge swaths of territory and actually gain something from it.  

I think this is a clever idea. In a sense, there is an aspect of that already, like the benefits of strong alliance hubs in a region, or if you think about the crafting side-

Holding areas with extremely hard to find resources such as silversteel is a much more doable proposition if your alliance is strong there. 

I can think of a lot of things that could be gained or even lost to control territories in-game. The one consideration with it would be that it would seem to me to encourage much more PvP. I'm not going to comment on whether Illy needs more or less, since we've all seen how widely opinions vary. But it is an interesting idea...
"War is the father of all things..."
fronfor View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 20:41
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

I think what would be really interesting to see is what would happen if alliances could claim huge swaths of territory and actually gain something from it.

I hear talk of implementing a tracking/intercepting system, where caravans and armies can be stopped as they are moving. I don't know whether this is one of those announcements that never got followed up, but that might make things more interesting.

Will players be allowed to assign routes to their moving units, to go around and avoid a certain area instead of taking the straightest path? If so, could an alliance or player claim a certain land, and force anyone moving through it to pay tribute or else risk having their caravan raided?

Sorry, probably off-topic.

I don't know what the endgame is like, but I agree with Brandmeister is saying about armies sitting around like dry firewood, and I also agree with those who are saying it doesn't have to be about war. The way I see it, in a sandbox game, if there are no in-game goals that interest you, make your own. Maybe try to set up a tyrannical alliance, using force to "persuade" lesser players in your area to join and suffer a heavy tax, and see how long you can keep it up. Maybe have a little Menzoberranzan-style competition within your alliance, to try and drag each other down the rankings without openly leaving evidence that it was your doing. Illyriad leaves lots of options open.

And why not war? I very much agree with what Deathdealer is saying here, "Nation-building". Just like Sid Meier's Civilization, I think if we play a little more ambitiously excitement and conflict will come up, whether in open war or economic war or cold war, or all three.

Those who have too much firewood, do something with it, do something crazy and don't worry if you get burned. It is a game, after all.
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2013 at 22:02
Those are some interesting ideas and you should  try them out.You could form alliance and try to enforce 50 sq rule and all who are within those 50sq of town should pay taxes, or something similar to that.There are no rules that prevent players from trying those things.
ropadope View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 01:42
It's like I thought? we are going to have to defend our roads when pathfinding comes out (if)
st aug View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 03:13
This game is what you make it. Your playing style will determine how you see the game and how others play it. To each his or her own. At least we can drive our on ship if you choose. Are you can be a sheep and follow the crowd. The choice is yours. See the game anyway you wish just don't beat over the head the person next to you if they don't see it the way you do. War game yes . Social game yes . Building game yes . Get the point ?
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 03:19
Originally posted by Sloter Sloter wrote:

Those are some interesting ideas and you should  try them out.You could form alliance and try to enforce 50 sq rule and all who are within those 50sq of town should pay taxes, or something similar to that.There are no rules that prevent players from trying those things.

Trying to tax players within a stated area is an idea that would be fun to see played out...or allowing non aligned players to settle an alliance controlled area in exchange for fees...lots of things we haven't tried...the only problem is that a lot of clever ideas would lead to conflict...if we could come up with some basic concepts of combat in certain situations that eliminate fear of city loss, it could open a lot of avenues of play. We should have some lesser way to "war" where we can set a condition for victory that does not cost cities...
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 03:55
If war didn't cost cities, there are some Illyrians who would be at war non-stop. What would deter them if there were no consequence to failure?
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 05:06
So if factions do go live, and they can take hostile action against players, do you think they will siege? Not the point you were making, but I'm curious as to the limits of faction combat actions...
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 06:03
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

If war didn't cost cities, there are some Illyrians who would be at war non-stop. What would deter them if there were no consequence to failure?
we are likely to find out in Broken Lands.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 06:40
Angrim, it was my understanding that you cannot attack PvP into or out of the care bear forest against cities. The cities you place there will be safe, but cannot be used in battle. Otherwise it would be troll heaven. People would launch raids and diplos into the PvP zone non-stop. I would expect that you could not use care bear cities to reinforce siege camps and otherwise take indirect hostile action, either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic