Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken Lands and War
    Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 19:57
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

I think the Illy community has grouped together to purge the warmongers from the game. This is by far the absolute worst warmongering game on the internet. I don't have a clue why someone would consider all-out war even an option here. But look on the bright side, i'm sure the warmongers will have dominion in BL.

I didn't want to clutter the Server War threads with a Broken Lands discussion, but I found this quote very interesting. Epidemic, why do you believe this to be true? It is my understanding that most of the alliances currently at war rely on several factors to fight:

1. Large Farm Accounts.

Most big alliances have collected accounts from players who have departed the game. It is widely acknowledged that many big long-term players have two primary accounts and 2-4 farm accounts. These accounts lead to...

2. Huge stockpiles.

Basically the farm accounts are set to generate enormous piles of gold and an endless stream of weapons and armor. So much, in fact, that alliances are in no danger of depleting them after multi-month wars running at full production sov.

3. Perma-sat war accounts.

Not only do the primary accounts have an effectively endless supply of gold, but there are many perma-sat accounts that can be quickly brought into a state of battle readiness for tournaments and wars. This allows alliances to field millions of troops in an unending stream of firepower.

All of these factors rely on playing Illyriad for a long, long time. It requires recruiting many players over months or years, and then collecting their abandoned accounts as permanent alliance resource producers. NONE of these factors will be available in Broken Lands. It's a clean slate. I find it very difficult to believe that most big alliance players are going to build up 6 accounts for their personal use. It's just an enormous amount of effort. This is why old players tend not to migrate to new servers in cyclical MMOs. They have spent too much time building a comfortable and mighty empire, and have no inclination to repeat the entire process to the same endgame.

Even given extensive combat experience, I think we will not see the same political landscape as present-day Elgea. The Elgean big guns rely on having a core of expert, dedicated warriors running multiple accounts with effectively limitless resources. It will be years before that kind of firepower is assembled by anyone in Broken Lands.
Epidemic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 20:21
I agree with you completely on the claim that dedicated warring players rely heavily on farmed accounts (perma-sits).

As a trader with large armies in most towns and sov claims at 100% troop production it is impossible for me to keep up with troop production by supplying my troops with equipment just from what I produce. I've lost money buying tons of equipment from the open market. I can't believe how someone can keep up with 200% troop production for any length of time with just one main account and one alt feeding the main. I can't even see how a T1 spearman army can stay supplied. If it's possible someone please show me how.

The devs did say perma-sits will be dealt with sometime after BL and factions come out.

Because BL will start fresh and everyone will have to build from scratch I believe good old fashion newb farming will be the regular. I think warmongering should be allowed there. They can have a server for that, a new server with new rules.
ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 20:24
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

I think the Illy community has grouped together to purge the warmongers from the game. This is by far the absolute worst warmongering game on the internet. I don't have a clue why someone would consider all-out war even an option here. But look on the bright side, i'm sure the warmongers will have dominion in BL.

I didn't want to clutter the Server War threads with a Broken Lands discussion, but I found this quote very interesting. Epidemic, why do you believe this to be true? It is my understanding that most of the alliances currently at war rely on several factors to fight:

1. Large Farm Accounts.

Most big alliances have collected accounts from players who have departed the game. It is widely acknowledged that many big long-term players have two primary accounts and 2-4 farm accounts. These accounts lead to...

2. Huge stockpiles.

Basically the farm accounts are set to generate enormous piles of gold and an endless stream of weapons and armor. So much, in fact, that alliances are in no danger of depleting them after multi-month wars running at full production sov.

3. Perma-sat war accounts.

Not only do the primary accounts have an effectively endless supply of gold, but there are many perma-sat accounts that can be quickly brought into a state of battle readiness for tournaments and wars. This allows alliances to field millions of troops in an unending stream of firepower.

All of these factors rely on playing Illyriad for a long, long time. It requires recruiting many players over months or years, and then collecting their abandoned accounts as permanent alliance resource producers. NONE of these factors will be available in Broken Lands. It's a clean slate. I find it very difficult to believe that most big alliance players are going to build up 6 accounts for their personal use. It's just an enormous amount of effort. This is why old players tend not to migrate to new servers in cyclical MMOs. They have spent too much time building a comfortable and mighty empire, and have no inclination to repeat the entire process to the same endgame.

Even given extensive combat experience, I think we will not see the same political landscape as present-day Elgea. The Elgean big guns rely on having a core of expert, dedicated warriors running multiple accounts with effectively limitless resources. It will be years before that kind of firepower is assembled by anyone in Broken Lands.

I imagine some accounts could be held hostage. A sort of "we do not like what you are doing in BL, stop it or we'll raze your elgean cities". I imagine that a few accounts will suddenly be abandoned on Broken Lands launches, to avoid that sort of annoyance.
Eternal Fire
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 20:28

As a trader with large armies in most towns and sov claims at 100% troop production it is impossible for me to keep up with troop production by supplying my troops with equipment just from what I produce. I've lost money buying tons of equipment from the open market.

Your obviously doing something wrong.  Although you can always purchase some of my goods :D  So I take it back your doing everything correct :D
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 20:49
@EF: For a long time, I assumed the Elgean gridlock would exist in Broken Lands. The current big alliances would be able to say, "Mess with us in BL, and we will blow you off the face of Elgea." But I don't think that gridlock exists anymore. War will exist in the Broken Lands, and perhaps be more commonplace (albeit smaller scale), but I think the real fighters there will be different players than in Elgea.
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 21:36

You might be surprized on that ... sure many people play the game as you described by creating a comfort zone, but there are also many players that try to seek the best choices they can make in the game and fine-tune their cities within the boundaries that are allowed by the rules.

Sure it will take quite a while to create a significant firepower in BL, but imho this will be more a matter of troop queue times and not lack of any resources.

ES2 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 21:49

@EF: For a long time, I assumed the Elgean gridlock would exist in Broken Lands. The current big alliances would be able to say, "Mess with us in BL, and we will blow you off the face of Elgea." But I don't think that gridlock exists anymore. War will exist in the Broken Lands, and perhaps be more commonplace (albeit smaller scale), but I think the real fighters there will be different players than in Elgea.

I certainly hope it will not become a duplicate of Elgea. We shall see what happens.
Eternal Fire
Darmon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 10:28

The devs did say perma-sits will be dealt with sometime after BL and factions come out.

They did?  Can you site a source for this?  I just always assumed that this game is balanced for a single person controlling 6 accounts.  I mean, what other excuse is there for perma-sitting?
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:50
I have a solution for this once the war is over.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 13:56
personally i am going to abandon my accounts and start over fresh in broken lands....40 castles per an account is just plain silly and it will take awhile for broken to get to the point that this side has become. hopefully the devs will have time to correct things before they become a problem in the new land areaWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic