Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for an alliance (revised edition)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for an alliance (revised edition)
    Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 03:25
You're right to warn about the troublesome GC and etc., st aug. It's another good reason to choose a training alliance first. It'll give you time to look and should open you up to the sorts of networking possibilities that will lead you to find players you'll be able to call friends and if you're lucky, maybe even family.
Bonfyr Verboo
st aug View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 00:30
Trying to find an alliance is easy finding that right one for you is not. They will tell to follow global chat and find the people you like. The problem with that is you don't get a good feel for there alliance by the few you see in [g.c] . The best players of most groups go no were near global chat or you may see them in[ g.c] very little if at all. Which leaves new players with going through the alliance's pages.[ go through them and look]. It may take a long time to find the right one that fits you or you may never find the right one . Some players seem to go through one after the other. This is a team game and we all need help. You can stand on your own as long as you can support yourself and if they allow you to. Some likes crowds makes them feel safe some don't it's your call and your choice . It's a thin line with all the rules and police that control the game. Looking for an alliance good luck with that one there's a lot to choose from. Roll the dice and pick one if you don't like it quit and choose another. Only thing about that is some will get there feelings hurt and get mad and threaten you when you leave.
Bottom line there all different with different players and rules . good luck.

Edited by st aug - 23 Jul 2013 at 01:13
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 11:42
Illyriad is a strategy game, not a war game.... war is just 1 strategy :)
trade isn't always about making as much money as possible, some trade at a loss, or at least sell at a very low price, sometimes even giving away....
training is mostly in the way of helping newbies, but then almost everyone in the game is still learning some aspects of it, so technically we're all in training :)
qznc View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:30
Thanks for IGMs about specific trade-oriented alliances. Keep them coming. I might post an overview, when I really research my options after graduation.

One note: Trade-oriented not necessarily means peaceful. Traders might try to rip off people for personal gain. In converse, peace-oriented not necessarily means trade-oriented. A peaceful alliance might focus on tournaments for example.

Here is my try to categorize alliances:

* War ("Illyriad is a wargame at heart!")
* Trade ("Money. Money. Money.")
* Training ("Help the Newbies!")
* Social ("I am here because my friends are here.")
* Exploration ("What if we send 1M icehearts into HoC?")
* Fun ("Just kidding.")

Of course, some alliance (big ones) might pursue multiple goals. I do not know how to categorize a mercenary alliance (War or Trade?).
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 04:51
Training ally's are quite helpful. I have a personal stake in one so I am somewhat biased towards that one (The Night Squires). But I never joined a training alliance myself.

When I was a newb, I joined the first alliance that invited me. I looked at its mission statement and corresponded with its leader before I accepted. The ideas he expressed were very appealing to me. I took a leap. It worked out. That alliance became my Illy family. I am not recommending that path. It is likely that that path won't work out for most. A training alliance is a good start and research is surely the best way to pick a permanent home. The link I posted above is the most recent incarnation of the list of training alliances. If you want to find a good training alliance, that is the best place to look. Check them out, pick a good fit and as my friend Myr likes to say, Have Fun!
Bonfyr Verboo
Gnorfum View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 03:29
I still think it is a good idea to join a training alliance or an alliance that puts special weight on training new players. So mind the link above! From there you have time to get to know the game and decide later. What alliance to join is a very difficullt and important choice.

But this is indeed a good guide and I will point my members to it when they are in doubt. 
Learn how to play Illy and live in freedome: TOR-U
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 22:14
Bonfyr Verboo
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 19:08
Originally posted by qznc qznc wrote:

I am interesting in trade-oriented alliances (after graduating from my training alliance). So far, I have not found any.

I haven't done any extensive research so this is just a "gut feeling", but alliances that focus on only one aspect of the game are probably fairly small in terms of membership. That isn't necessarily bad, but it does mean that they may not have as many active members or be able to provide as much support.

A large alliance probably has more diverse interests, so you're likely to find other members with the same interests that you have. And it's possible that you might "convert" members who weren't interested in trade before but might be if you talk about it in AC. I think that's happened in Aesir over the past while; it promoted itself as an alliance with largely military interests (and still is), but there has been a recent influx of new members interested in trade and crafting. That has prompted some interest from senior alliance members who may not have bothered with those things as much.

I still find it rather funny that the average alliance size in this game is about 4.5 members. Obviously it's a very skewed distribution.

Edited by Llyr - 21 Jul 2013 at 19:09

qznc View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 18:51
How do you search for an alliance, if you know what you want? Browsing the alliance list is quite tedious. The alliance profile pages not always provide good information. For example, the crow alliances seem to be pretty generic.

I am interesting in trade-oriented alliances (after graduating from my training alliance). So far, I have not found any.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 15:59
"If an alliance interests you, contact 2 or 3 members asking them what being a member is like and what is involved, could also ask in GC if that alliance is known and has a good reputation, then if still interested, contact the allance leadership with any further questions, what's expected from members, what the alliance believes in, if they play along a certain path such as trading or military, how the alliance might benefit from that player being a member and how the player can benefit from being a part of it,."

This paragraph offers both the best advice one could receive on choosing an alliance and, in my opinion the worst. First of all, asking a couple of the rank and file members of the alliance you are interested in for their opinion is just smart. Some players virtually ignore IGM's so keep trying until you get a reply. Also, I recommend at least 2 replies but more will give you a better idea of what it's like on the inside. Make your message short because a text wall is off putting. Be sure to ask specific questions. "What's it like?" will likely get a general "Good." response. If you want to know about how they help new players, ask that. If you want to know about how often members are promoted, ask that.

I don't readily agree with asking in GC about any particular alliance's reputation. Even if you manage to get a good cross section of players who are on to answer you, many alliances have opposition, especially active ones. That opposition can skew the view of third parties. A new player often has no way of knowing who they are getting replies from. I would add, that if you do decide to query GC you should do this on several occasions and at various day parts to get a good mix of opinion.

This is "IT" in a nutshell:
"the main thing for any player, it's you that should choose your alliance, not them choosing you,"
Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic