Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tournament VII - Champions Return - Rules/Prizes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTournament VII - Champions Return - Rules/Prizes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
The Duke View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 22:36
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

Congratulations to all that fought in this tourney, well done and well fought!    It did come down to the wire and I respect and congratulate Crows for incredible competition.   

About the tourney itself, again, there were too many bugs and the randomness of winning the champions did not really test skill, it was a matter of who happened to be on the square at the right time.    It would be nice to see a more skill oriented tourney.      This really was one of my least favorite tourneys but fun because of the competition, nonetheless.
Couldnt have said it better - I still want an individual tourney myself- Last time I couldnt participate, and the alliance tourneys are nice, but I like to see how the big dogs stack up against one another... When the last individual tourney came along I could partake in I was still relatively small and cheered on Canesrule lol 
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."
Mona Lisa View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 22:39
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

There is no individual statistic based on defense  - The defender Casualty column is how many defenders the individual attacker killed.  

Ah, twas my error in reading into the sheet somethig that it was not ; )   When I saw the column headings I interpretted it to mean the # of your own troops that had been lost ( I though you had gotten some raw data dump from the dev's or something),  as I understand what it is now, a listing of the attackers own attack losses and number of defenders lost in the attack,  and not your own defensive losses it makes far more sense  ; )

..  the only people who could indeed churn up each players individual losses would be the dev's themselves ..  and given how much of a punching bad I and Le Roux were for the tourney, I really would hate to see those numbers heh ..  ( it seems my only tourney goal was to pump up one's defensive ranking, and Mona/Le Roux did succeed wonderfully at that ! )
Mona Lisa View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 22:41
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

Congratulations to all that fought in this tourney, well done and well fought!    It did come down to the wire and I respect and congratulate Crows for incredible competition.   

About the tourney itself, again, there were too many bugs and the randomness of winning the champions did not really test skill, it was a matter of who happened to be on the square at the right time.    It would be nice to see a more skill oriented tourney.      This really was one of my least favorite tourneys but fun because of the competition, nonetheless.

+1  ..  This sums it up dead on ...
lethargic0N3 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 22:42
Calaquendi Crow [Calcr] got MK and Taomist or does a tie not count.. Wink
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 22:43
Originally posted by Mona Lisa Mona Lisa wrote:

and given how much of a punching bad I and Le Roux were for the tourney, I really would hate to see those numbers heh ..  (

I know how you feel! Feel like we just came out of a 20 round prize fight and our face resembles hamburger... ;)
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 23:33
Congratulations to all the winners.  Clap  

Crow made a valiant run at 1st place and it was a squeaker.

I echo the comments re: bugs, randomness and lack of skill required.  

In week 1, the Azura square was near a RES cluster and we modified and implemented a tactic we developed in earlier "Sov Wars" wherein clearing attacks are rotated across the target sq frequently with small, token "holding" armies following to capture the Champion.  RES captured 2 Champs there.

Another criticism to add: The tournament was alliance based but the Champs were awarded to individual players despite the teamwork involved.  Personally, while I did a little participation, I made an effort to avoid capturing a Champ because I did not want anyone thinking RES is there to "support" me, individually.

Lastly, the prizes are ridiculous.  Medals are just silly ego badges and I suspect few players that received a badge earned it without help from their alliance.  The Alliance Prestige amounts are so low as to be irrelevant, too.  100 AP for 1st place on region.  For a medium sized alliance of 50 members, that is 2 AP per account.  What can a player do with 2 Prestige points?  Isn't the least expensive item 3 prestige?  So this means some players get more of the prize at the expense of other alliance members.

All in all, I think the tournament was designed to degrade alliance cohesion and promote individual reputation at the expense of team-building.

A positive comment regarding this tournament - It was something to do.

That said, I hope we never see a tournament similar in design again.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 23:48
Ditto to Dude's comments.  Except about avoiding champions H? pretty much let me grab 10.  

Also what happened to the troops we used to get for tourneys?  The praetorian was a pretty decent boost to defensive power and came in decent numbers.  This one handed out only 1 champion (Nice unit) to 1 player at a time.  

And above all this was just another king of a hill except pts were counted  once randomly throughout the day.  Which lets face it is a horrible way.  If champions spawned once every hr I would be ok with it.  Or even once randomly pr hr.  But considering the tourney was won by 2 champions it could have easily gone either way just because of the randomness.  
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 00:17
I wish to echo the negative sentiments expressed about the randomness and the anti-alliance nature of this tournament. It was, however "more realistic" in the sense that real warfare is random and the heroes of war often are as well. Talk to real life winners of medals during wartime and they will tell you their awards were earned on the backs of their comrades.

Illy isn't real life and the tourney was not warfare. In the future, alliance based tournaments should be less about individual accomplishment and more about team work. Awards should be less about drawing straws and more about strategy and skill.

Having said that, I would like to congratulate all participants. If you managed to hold a square for any significant amount of time, award or no, you are the spirit of this game and deserve recognition. Thanks to all the competitors in the northern regions who put TVM to the test. Despite the circumstances my family has grown and learned and it is thanks to you!
Bonfyr Verboo
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 00:58
I think the randomness forced alliances to try to occupy the square for at least a day. That's a different mindset than occupying for an hour or several hours. When things are completely predictable, it's easy for people to launch synchronized clearing attacks, and that's not very challenging in a game which already massively favors offense. I could take or leave the randomness mechanic, but it was different.

I thought moving the square every week was a positive. It creates an opening for small but nimble alliances to have a chance at claiming a champion. Otherwise the squares just get locked down by the mega-alliances. I perceive the permanent tournament tiles as a negative for participation.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 01:55
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

I think the randomness forced alliances to try to occupy the square for at least a day. That's a different mindset than occupying for an hour or several hours. When things are completely predictable, it's easy for people to launch synchronized clearing attacks, and that's not very challenging in a game which already massively favors offense. I could take or leave the randomness mechanic, but it was different.

I thought moving the square every week was a positive. It creates an opening for small but nimble alliances to have a chance at claiming a champion. Otherwise the squares just get locked down by the mega-alliances. I perceive the permanent tournament tiles as a negative for participation.

There were 2 reasons for an alliance to claim a Champ: 1) vying for a Regional 1-3 place; or, 2) vying for an Overall 1-3 place.  Otherwise, taking a Champ was an individual prize.  I mentioned the RES Champs won at Azuria - those only benefited the player that won them.  "Nimbleness" was never a factor.  We can not move our cities, it was simply a matter of where the Devs pre-programmed the spawn locations of the portals.  If they spawned near an alliance cluster, that alliance had an edge on that portal for a week.  Allow 1 day for planning and travel, 6 possible Champs.

Meh... horrible design.  Makes me question a lot about the future of Illy, really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic