Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 31Mar13 Military Unit Production Time Adjustments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed31Mar13 Military Unit Production Time Adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 31Mar13 Military Unit Production Time Adjustments
    Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 19:01
Hi everyone,

We're lowering production times for all of the Infantry and Spear units, and some of the ranged units.

The only numbers changing are the base production times by unit type, and they are being buffed for all races - with especial love for both the Dwarves and the Orcs.

There is a blog post on the dev forum explaining the rationale behind this change in more detail.

These new base production time numbers have gone into immediate effect.  Any player with existing production queues of troops that now have new production numbers will need to make some material building change (either level up or level down your barracks, or some related troop-type sovereign production building change), and you should receive the benefit of these new base production times.

Without further ado, here are the new (and for reference, old) base production times that have been changed.

Unit NameRaceOld Build Time (secs)New Build Time (secs)
MilitiamanHuman1000600
PikemanHuman1200900
SwordsmanHuman1200770
Man-at-ArmsHuman1400900
ArcherHuman1000750
ProtectorElf1000620
PhalanxElf1200920
WardenElf1200790
WardancerElf1400900
SentinelElf1000750
YeomanDwarf1000680
HalbardierDwarf1200880
AxmanDwarf1200780
StalwartDwarf1400960
SlingerDwarf1000780
Kobold CohortOrc1000370
Clan GuardsmanOrc1200890
FangOrc1200510
FistOrc1400840
ClanguardOrc1000760

Best wishes,

GM Stormcrow

Edited by GM ThunderCat - 31 Mar 2013 at 19:36
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 19:10
thank you, thank you, thank you!Clap
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 19:23
Simple change, major impact.  Probably the highest game benefit/dev time for anything done in the last 4 years!

opk View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 19:50
Maybe it doest seem, but that's a huge update! 

Production time and then power given per time is a huge factor. In the case you use your unit pool regularly and then recycle your units often, power/time is more important than power/gold unkeep and then, than your gold pool (and if players recycle their units regularly, a 5 food city is not so far behind a 7 food one in terms of military capacities).

With this release , i see you want to reduce the overmight of cavalry. Also, you give more benefits to being a dwarf or an orc... talking about orcs' spears, they are given more balance with elven ranged. So there's clearly an attempt to balance the races. 

I also notice that for the presented units, T1 get proportionnally more power/time, compared with T2 units, than before. Which means T1 units of the said types of units are way more interesting than before; and i notice that specifically for orcs, T1 spear time prod is under 2 times the time for T2 spears, while 2 T1=1 T2 in terms of gold unkeep and in terms of power (but cav def)... experimented orcs will know what im talking about... it's just... awesome! ( i didnt make the calculation but i suppose even T1 cav def power/time = the T2 one now! ). 

So dwarves and mostly orcs are getting way more interesting to play (i know an orc based alliance which will be truely happy).

Now people will have to struggle themselves to balance the cities to be able to have enough weapons over time to produce those units constantly... and with the reduction of weapons' costs for T1 units, combined with more power/time given to T1 units (as said above), T1 for the said units will really become a more serious option.

More spear units produced will also mean harder to break sieges with cavs now, but there's a compensation with the reduction of infantry's build times (indeed, sieges are often or on mountains, or on foests). As Infantry is slow, it shall encourage alliances territorialism (to be able to break sieges efficiently, and in the given time).

That is for my little analysis ^^ . Sounds like the game will get more balanced in military terms; really, it's an awesome update; congratulations to the Dev Team!

Old Penitent Knight
Arakamis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:03
hmms.. interesting.. now, where is my excel files? :P need to calculate this new stuff..
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:10
Orcs and Elves have a huge bonus now that they can produce hundreds of thousands of Kobolds or Sentinels - they dont cost armors. 

Humans and Dwarves are highly disadvantaged - they need one kind of armor or saddle for every unit, which will be a bottleneck in their troop production. 

Arakamis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:18
if you are aiming for speed, one kind of armor shouldn't be a bottleneck.. well, it does cost more but not a bottleneck..
opk View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:41
Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

Orcs and Elves have a huge bonus now that they can produce hundreds of thousands of Kobolds or Sentinels - they dont cost armors. 

Humans and Dwarves are highly disadvantaged - they need one kind of armor or saddle for every unit, which will be a bottleneck in their troop production.

You'r right Ander, i didnt see the time bonus for sentinels. I made the calculations, and i realised that sentinels already had almost the same power/gold than trueshots for all stats, and now they have exactly the same power/time prod too, and cost almost nothing (and if you miss some bows, they are quite cheap). Actually they are faster than trueshots... so it seems, for elves at least, that it's now better to produce T1 than T2 ranged... a huge advantage indeed. Same goes for orcs spears... T1 even produce more def/time than T2 ones for all stats (but cav def, for which it's almost equal) and cost only 1 spear (and 1 beer, which means it's free). Only thing with T1 orc spears it that they have less cav def/gold unkeep than T2 ones... which only means that when your army is full, it has less cav def with T1 than with T2, which is not relevant in the case you recycle your units before your army is full.

Hmm... so contrary to what i thought, elven ranged and orcs spears haven't been balanced between each other, while elven ranged are even better (if i recall well) than orc spears in forest for all stats but def cav (with previous build times at least)... so it would mean orcs are still more attractive than previously, but elves may still be more attractive than orcs, when it's about def.
Edit: actually, with the new building times maybe it's more balanced and orcs spears may be better than elven ranged on  forests now... to verify.

Edit: and for Dwarves, with T1 infantry, they still have to struggle with swords and chain. One important thing to note i think, is that with the siege stratagem, and the little effectiveness of direct attacks against cities, in Illyriad defense power means attack ability and attack power means defense ability. There's a further advantage given to siegers in this release in my opinion, which is a point to note.

Edited by opk - 31 Mar 2013 at 21:06
Old Penitent Knight
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:52
it now pays off for elfs to train t1 archers.This update has made elf units more deadlier compared to old version.It even looks that t1 elf archers has better stats then t2 when training time is compared
Rorgash View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2013 at 20:55
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!   TO WAR ORKZ!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic