Topic Closedcommanders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: commanders
    Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 12:15
i would like to open a discussion of how to use commanders in war....personally i am totally confused with all the great variables that can be used....i made mistake of stacking several armies on the same square in a siege with the majority of my commanders.....the lost of a single battle crippled my military capabilities..(soon to be totally recovered)....should we be using higher defy death....how should we equip....how do we play this very important piece in war situations...please post your knowledge and your experiences and your questions...by the way this is an awesome war game, too long its been neglected!
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 12:54
For missions, be they military, trade, or diplomatic, there's one piece of good advice that appears here every so often, "Only send what you can afford to lose."

I'd vote against a higher "defy death" simply because anyone facing overwhelming odds shouldn't have a really good chance of escaping (why not some of the ordinary units too?). You can improve the odds of your commander surviving, simply by posting appropriate levels of force.

Equipping is again a choice: yet another aspect of Illy that has a "soft limit", where you can find an 'unbuffed' limit fairly easily, then work progressively harder for each bonus. Crafted weapons are one such bonus, and use the principle of "work done" translating into further effectiveness in the game. Stack many such bonuses on top of each other, and in quantity, and you'll have a formidable force. Of course, it takes organisation, work, and perhaps cooperation.

As for "war situations" in general, it's difficult to advise, because there are too many variables (another Illy-ism!). You need to be 'ready' before you can successfully prosecute a war.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 13:45
its the war situations i am more interested in...the time to bring back a 120 level commander is crazy....it should be interesting to find out what others are doing and maybe avoid pitfalls that i always seem to fall into....
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 18:09
I don't level my commanders that high, for the most part.  Most of my commanders are in the range of 30-40 although they have the exp to be leveled higher.  Also remember that you don't HAVE to resurrect commanders, nor do you have to level them.  Some people keep low-level dead commanders with high levels of experience for this sort of situation; your high-level commanders all die, then you can res a level 0 commander with 30k exp points in one hour, level him up and away you go.

Note:  it is possible to use prestige to de-level such a commander before you kill him.  I have heard this is considered an exploit and therefore don't use it.  (I don't have that extensive a collection of dead commanders either. probably indicating lack of foresight on my part.)
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 23:09
Its is considered an exploit to spend 15 prestige for the exact purpose of deleveling a CO?  That seems kinda off to me.  

And its personal preference.  Maybe you want 100's of lvl 0-20 commanders.  Maybe you want 5 lvl 100 commanders.  Just keep playing you will figure out whats good for you.  

dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 23:34
It should be no big problem if your best commanders are out cold for five days, after all they didn't die alone, their troops are also dead.  In five days you can train, say, 1K new troops, and assign them to a living junior defensive commander until the seniors are fit again.  If you lost all commanders create a new junior to command the new troops, and when the first seniors are ready kill this dummy, and resurrect the last senior.   

@Rill, I fail to see any exploit when reset is used to reset.  I have no collection of dead commanders, and I also have no unassigned XP, so far I need XP for essential skills (march 10 + hero 10 + best defense 10 + uncanny 10 + divsional 55 + miscellaneous 7 = 102, IOW, azra still needs six levels before he can start to collect unassigned XP.)  Cold commanders with reset skills for quick resurrections sounds like a brilliant strategy, and being smart is no exploit.Tongue
bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 23:37
My thoughts deathdealer, how could it be considered an exploit to use the game mechanics, the game allows for you to de-level the commander at a prestige cost, and it also allows for commanders to die.

As far as the OP is concerned I would recommend using scouts before you send in armies blindly.  Know your enemy, to quote RATM.
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 02:26
do u  send all commanders with different divisions in an army for an attack, and the same for defense? do u use high hero in attack and defense use low hero but max out defenses, do u feel unprotected at castle sending out all commanders?.....or do u do things differently....what strategies do u find work best....i believe as the game becomes more war like that people are going to wise up on how to counter swarm techniques......what roles will commander use take part in these counter measures?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 02:54
I only send all commanders in the same army when I'm hitting NPCs, and even then I usually keep at least one home in case I have to claim sov or something.

The way division bonuses are set up, it doesn't seem like there are big advantages to sending multiple commanders with large armies of the kind one would use to kill anything serious, since most of the "oomph" comes from division bonuses.  I'm interested to hear if others have different perspectives.

Edited by Rill - 08 Nov 2012 at 02:56
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 03:05
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The way division bonuses are set up, it doesn't seem like there are big advantages to sending multiple commanders with large armies of the kind one would use to kill anything serious.
5 x Elite divisions, well-equipped? Is this more advantageous than throwing a few-10k (one army) at the target? I suppose it gives a long-term low maintenance cost for a given capability, but doesn't much increase the maximum impact you can achieve with a single hit.

Edited by Albatross - 08 Nov 2012 at 03:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic