Topic ClosedThe Blackest Feather - Coltaine's Journal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Coltaine Blackwing View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Blackest Feather - Coltaine's Journal
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 09:05
Countless are the tales that begin with, "I knew a man once...". Some bystander or sidelined acquaintance, or even the brother of a friend's friend, will tell the tale as if they could see through the hero's eyes, think with the hero's mind, fight with the hero's strength. That is the power of heroes, to make others aspire to be better than they are. But what of me?

I believe every person should be their own inspiration.

And so I will tell my own tale, as I lived it. Perhaps there is something less pure in it, something biased. And, indeed, perhaps there will be outright lies contained within these pages. But what judgment should I fear? Remember me as I wish to be remembered. Laugh when I laugh, weep when I weep. For all else, do as your heart guides you. But I mean it. If I'm laughing while I write, you had darned well better be laughing when you read it.

This is my story.

Edited by Coltaine Blackwing - 28 Jul 2012 at 09:10
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 06:14
What a day.

Coltaine sat reclined on a bed, with pen, ink, and a small book. In a castle. Well, not really a castle, but he knew the way of things. It would be one someday. He really had no need or desire to live in a house of stone, but it was defensible. And when he saw families living independently, at the whims and mercies of anyone who passed by with a sword, leadership instincts drove him to action.

This path was a dangerous one though, and he knew it. So he decided to keep a record of his activities, his thoughts. So he opened the book, his new journal, and began to write.

Illyria, Day One - I have no idea where I am, really. I do know that my horse is missing and walking on my own two feet so much feels odd. The horses the King of this place sent were entirely unfit for riding, so I'll just exercise different muscles for now. I met some very friendly people too, and some very odd people. I had to physically untie MicroMe the Dwarf's tongue, which was insane and disgusting enough that I decided it would be my last act of the day in public life. Even a horse's mouth is cleaner.

But I once again find myself a leader of people. An authoritative and decisive voice is sometimes all it takes to stir people out of complacency. I gave orders and was obeyed. Made promises too. Maybe they will actually believe those promises someday.

I took the first step on this path. I'll be watching for capable leaders among those who now serve me. I know all too well what happens to any who gather together for mutual defense when their leader vanishes, no matter what form the vanishing takes.

Coltaine paused, frowning. He glanced around the small room, sensing something was missing. The dryness of his throat and perfectly clear senses alerted him to the true nature of his dilemma. He made a small addition to the day's entry.

Tomorrow I'll take some people aside to start a brewery. A dry city is a damned dreary place to live.

Not a lot of good it did him for the night, but he could at least look forward to some good ale every night thereafter. Benefits of leadership.

He closed the journal and set it and the pen on the bedside table, next to the ink. Tomorrow would be a long day.
Ossian View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 13:17
Originally posted by Coltaine Blackwing Coltaine Blackwing wrote:

Illyria, Day One - ......

Coltaine paused, frowning. He glanced around the small room, sensing something was missing. The dryness of his throat and perfectly clear senses alerted him to the true nature of his dilemma. He made a small addition to the day's entry.

Tomorrow I'll take some people aside to start a brewery. A dry city is a damned dreary place to live.

He closed the journal and set it and the pen on the bedside table, next to the ink. Tomorrow would be a long day.

Hmm... Strong in this one ...the force is .... Wink
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 19:08
beer ... it does a body good
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 06:05
Illyria, Day Two - A neighbor took pity on our small settlement and sent enough beer to have the populace drunk for the better part of a week if we rationed it. Of course, we didn't. It's all gone. Tomorrow will be hell, but I have to write this all down because I know I won't remember anything in the morning.

I participated in a 'snorgy' with Kallie, Vanerin, Batrilicious, Thengrild, Piarou, shuugy, Casombra...I'm sure I'm missing some, but there was a lot of activity at the time. Plus an Elf getting sick watching the whole thing. No, I don't understand it any more now than I did in the heat of the moment. Felt good though...no wonder there's a whole alliance of snugglers. Bet they never run out of beer.

Also met another Fist, Kindly. This world seems to have taken over my own. Does that make me a refugee or an invader?

Coltaine tossed the book aside and collapsed onto his bed, and tried to remember what he had forgotten to do that day. And failed.
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 08:53

Coltaine's head felt as if a horse had trod over it when he collapsed onto his bed for the second night in a row. In truth one nearly had, but it was his own fault for drinking so much the day before.

He had to rouse himself to seek his journal though. He knew well enough his diligence in recording his life's events would waver over time, but these were the founding days of his life in this land, a time when everything was new to him, magical in its own way. These would be the memories he would treasure over all others. As long as he actually remembered them.

Illyria, Day Three - REX_GAMBIT sent me a pair of northern horses when he heard of my plight. Such a generous soul. Some of the locals questioned the wisdom of riding with such a powerful hangover. I'll have to look for some horsewarriors here to educate these soft-skinned folks with their weak stomachs and fear of anything that moves faster than a plow. Imagine if their women were bold enough to throw pots at them. Would change so much overnight.

There was also a discussion regarding superpowers, and one was so incredibly idealistic that I felt it needed to be immortalized, at least privately.

[04:20]<Ryelle> the best superpower would be to be able to instantly make friends with anyone

My hero. But then my day got much, much worse. I made the mistake of saying that I was adept enough to handle all the gifts the good people of Illyria were sending me. Shuew decided to bury me under an overwhelming mound of clay as a lesson.

Sometimes there is something to be said for silence.

Coltaine set aside the writing and dwelt upon silence until dreams swept him away.
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 11:00
Illyriad, Day Four Sa'Belle gave me a shovel to make dealing with Shuew's superfluous mound of clay easier. Not sure how this helps, but shovels are versatile tools. I knew I would find some way to put it to use, and hoped to find Shuew, who sort of resembles the fern that has apparently become his namesake.

And find him I did. Shuew now decorates the Quon Tali Graveyard as a planted fern, recently...watered.

Coltaine stared at the page and its paltry entry that said so much more about this world than the quaint tale it related. He could understand war, even appreciate it in some ways. When war has a purpose, anyway, beyond the shedding of blood and tears, the theft of insignificant possessions and irreplaceable innocence. It is a tragedy, always, but some reasons are too compelling to ignore. But here, in this place?

He had seen no war, which should be a blessing. The inhabitants seemed almost universally insane though, and Coltaine could feel himself being dragged along that same path even after so short a time. Maybe there is value in the loss of rationality at times, but how long would it be before he started jumping in faerie rings and testing his wits against bumblebees and pixies while wearing a mumu and a white wig with ringlets?

He paused, blinking slowly. Where had that image come from. A groan rumbled in Coltaine's throat as he realized a truth. It was already too late.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic