FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrom the Dev Blog: Commander Screen Re-design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Torn Sky View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 17:16
Mmm day/night fighting do are orcs n dwarfs going to get a bonus during the night?

Also will commanders lose their equip if killed?

Edited by Torn Sky - 24 Jul 2012 at 17:18
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 17:51
It makes a lot more sense to give "special" equipment to commanders than to make highly specialized troops, in some ways, because commanders do have a greater likelihood of surviving any given engagement (than any individual troop).  If commanders keep their equipment when killed, that will be even more true.  I had already heard folks expressing reservations about the idea of spending a lot of effort/gold/etc.  on making specialized troops only to have them slaughtered.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 18:04
I'm not sure I'm all that excited about the more graphics-intensive look of the commander skills area.  I sort of like the simplicity of the existing screen; I can easily scan the list and locate the skill I want to upgrade with minimal effort.  Sometimes a lot of bling on the screen can be hard on the eyes and simple is better.  (Sorry GM Cerberus.)

I guess I'll have to see what it's like in practice.  I hope they don't start doing this with the research tree.  The way the graphics pop out when you mouse over them is fine.  (Maybe they could do that with the commander screen as well, make boxes with the graphics and info that pop up when you mouse over?)
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 18:04
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

It makes a lot more sense to give "special" equipment to commanders than to make highly specialized troops, in some ways, because commanders do have a greater likelihood of surviving any given engagement (than any individual troop).  If commanders keep their equipment when killed, that will be even more true.  I had already heard folks expressing reservations about the idea of spending a lot of effort/gold/etc.  on making specialized troops only to have them slaughtered.

Good points on gearing commanders vs armies. I'll counter that with the following speculations: 

* specialized gear could prevent the slaughter. Especially if the defensive bonuses are larger than the offensive one ( and they should be)
* As is, increasing the attack of t2 cavalry is just going to make them better/prevent troop loss when destroying sieges/blockades. 

All of that said, it still would make more sense to gear out your commanders first.  

shadow View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 18:12
Jack and Sally, eh? Ermm Thought you were more creative....lol
Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 18:18
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Good points on gearing commanders vs armies. I'll counter that with the following speculations: 

* specialized gear could prevent the slaughter. Especially if the defensive bonuses are larger than the offensive one ( and they should be)
* As is, increasing the attack of t2 cavalry is just going to make them better/prevent troop loss when destroying sieges/blockades. 

All of that said, it still would make more sense to gear out your commanders first.  

Sure increasing cavalry will attack will be good on a siege. BUt increasing spears defending a siege will ruin any chance of a cavalry doing much harm. This update will help orcs shine. Specially when you got orcs that can be equipped with special heavy armor to fight on plains.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so you will not be dependent on anybody.
Yhina View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 18:51
There is a little problem with your picture, quackers... what if you get attacked by any other troop type, like improved archers?

Attack will still be just 1, as opposed to 4 fields in defense. If the boost in attack is about the same as the boost in defense, it will increase the already huge benefit of being the attacker... as at the very most, your defenders would happen to have the "correct" def type vs your attack, if they dont, they ll be even more handicapped...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic