Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRequest for a "Lets Play Illy" series.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roland Gunner View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Request for a "Lets Play Illy" series.
    Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 09:53
A Search of Youtube for Illyriad, only pops up the stuff that Beau and Luna have put up and a couple of the official videos.  There is one short game play example but it doesn't have any commentary.

There are a bunch of "Spam" videos that should be cleaned up, but no good examples of game play.

I'm putting this request up for two reasons.  I think it might be a good opportunity for someone to put their reference code up and get some free prestige while helping to spread the word about Illy.  Of course the second and selfish reason, I would like to see how others play Illyriad. 

A series of shorter videos over a couple of weeks could turn out nicely.  I have neither the talent or experience to do it myself or I would. 

It would probably be safer to record the videos and sit on them for a few weeks to be sure you are not giving away too much crucial up to the date info on your empire, but a modest delay should limit the risk of leaking the most important information.

An intro to Illy would probably give you the best chance of bringing in new users, but I'm hoping someone might do a "Lets play" type of series at some point as well..

Thanks

R.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:08
I have suggested something similar in the past involving a player-run contest for YouTube "ads" for Illy.  Contact me, having a partner would kickstart me in the effort! We could combine the ideas or do them both.
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 16:05
I've only experimented with it briefly but this is a free screencapture software that you can use to record your desktop with audio commentary that you can then upload to youtube. 

Best of luck and have fun! If you make any videos I'd love to see them. :D

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 08:44
I downloaded and played around with Camstudio, it's very simple and straight forward. 

Unfortunately I'm absolutely terrible at creating an interesting video.  I hope I'm not that boring in the real world, but the guy that showed up on my video was unwatchable.  Luna made it look pretty easy in the tutorial videos, at least for me it is not..  Although I did get pretty good at saying the word "Um"....

I might try writing a script or at least an outline and give it another go, but I'm still hoping someone with some experience may consider doing a video or two if not an entire "Lets Play".

If it's not breaking the rules, I would be happy to send some in game gold for any attempts that get posted. 

Outside of Beau's work there is still not a narrated video of Illy on Youtube.  A search comes up with 27,300 videos of dancing cats.  Dancing cats are probably more fun to watch than Illy but not by 27,300 videos...

Thanks

R.

Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:15
Originally posted by Roland Gunner Roland Gunner wrote:

A search comes up with 27,300 videos of dancing cats.
Darn, you spotted my plan to distract the players who might become good by watching a decent tutorial video!
Avion View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 14:32
Dancing dogs: 56,900 videos.  The plot thickens...
Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?
Rorgash View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 15:10
just.. eeh i dont know, but.. eeh there are tutorial videos up on the site, and really does it get more lets play then playing all element of the game? since really you can have someone playing this game and making it fun since 99% of it is waiting for things to arrive or get done :P

Edited by Rorgash - 09 Jul 2012 at 15:10
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 20:13
I agree Rorgash, it would be difficult to make anything very interesting for new or potential players, but I've seen some pretty creative stuff on the internet, so I was hoping someone would come up with something.

One potential idea would be if someone set a goal in the game, then put up 10 minute videos every 3 or 4 days updating the story.  Somehow building a narrative would be the trick to making it watchable.  Illy is no Minecraft, but some of those "Lets Play" get up to a million views (and they are pretty "boring" as well).  With Illy we would probably be lucky to get to a couple of hundred, but if turned 10 people on to the game, was fun for some of us players to watch, and most importantly was fun for the person making the videos it might work out.

Depending on the type of the next tournament, a tournament log may work as well.  A few videos describing the persons empire and potential goals building up to the tournament, then a few recap of the last 3 days type of videos may make for an interesting video.  I could see people waiting for the last couple of videos to see how it all works out.

I (may be insane) enjoyed watching Beau's videos on Illy and he wasn't even really playing.  Something similar to those done by one of the Vets would at least give people an idea of what Illyriad is like after you have 9 or 10 towns.  Currently if a player happens upon Illyriad from Massively or one of the other sites and goes to Youtube to get an idea of what the real game play of Illy is, there isn't a video to show it off very well.

To do it right, you would need an interesting broadcaster on top of some pretty heavy editing, but anything would be better than what we have out there now...

I picked Travian (much larger player base) as a random browser game.  A couple of Lets play vidoes up for that with over 5k views...   Maybe the perfect Illy video would start with Dancing Cats, show 10 minutes of Illy, and end with a big dancing Dog video...

R.
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 22:31
I once did a Let's Play for Civilization IV. Those familiar with the game know it can be extremely slow paced (and was, at least the way I play). The Let's Play took about a month to complete.

Rather that use video, I posted screen shots of the critical points in the game along with my comments about what I should do next, in a somewhat storytelling format. I also paused periodically to send out shots of the key strategic data points (e.g. the research tree, diplomacy screens, etc.). I solicited considerable feedback from readers and ultimately it become a true "Let's Play" because their feedback absolutely determined the course of the game (I probably wouldn't have survived, let alone got such a high score in the game, without it).

In the course of the LP I learned a TON about the game, and those following the thread said they learned a lot as well. If forget how many views it got, but I think it was around 17K.

Something like that might work for Illy, using screen shots to capture just the salient decision points. It could be done within these forums in front of our focused audience, or better yet on a site like rpg.net where it could inform and attract more players to the game.

That's my $0.02.

Mafro
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 22:36
That is super cool Mafro! I've never heard of such a thing. 

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic