Topic ClosedFrom the Dev Blog: UIv3 Preview

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Aldonis View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: From the Dev Blog: UIv3 Preview
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 20:03
I knew there was an update coming to the game but this is just UGLY. I cant even get illyriad to work on my computer properly with this version of it :/
Change It Back Please!
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by LadyLuvs LadyLuvs wrote:

what is the difference 
Sieges are public knowledge, even announced in GC for pop above ten.  Maybe blockades are also public knowledge, at least some are listed in the recent news column on the release notes page.  OTOH all diplomatic missions are as secret and private as possible outside of your diplomatic visibility radius.  It actually cannot be more different than it already is.  Just say no to completely unnecessary and undesirable big brother features breaking essential game mechanics.Angry
LadyLuvs View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:51
Actually Rill we already get notifications by the system regarding Sieges what is the difference in letting us know hey someone was hit by a diplomatic mission or attacked by another players army?  You are losing something either way whether it be a city or res.  If we are going to over run by notifications at least make some of them helpful instead of redundant.  GC is filled with spam of all types from the system to players posting the same things over and over again.  In A/C we should have the option to get those kinds of notices about our members.

My members are very good with sending reports of being attacked.  It isn't crazy trying to pull info out of them.  They are always up for the task of strengthening their defenses as well.  I get personal satisfaction when one of my players says "I was attacked but they didn't get anything.  I killed their diplos.  Now how can I catch them next time so they can be brought to justice?"  I am not looking for entire reports of their attack to be given to us.  Just a notification and we can decide what to do.  The only person that should get a full on report is the player attacked and they can send that at their leisure.  With Diplo reinforcing now, it has cut down on on players getting away with stuff.  That was an awesome update!  The Devs did us a huge favor with that.  I thank them from the bottom of my heart for that.
LadyLuvs
Raven, Murder of Crows Alliance
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 04:45
Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

yes, saving drafts would be awesome!
Send the draft to yourself, then you can forward + edit it from sent mail as some kind of draft or template.   

@salarius, in chrome you can duplicate the open browser tab, and use the new tab to check something needed in the old tab.  Firefox has an extension doing almost the same.  There are also favlets (a.k.a. bookmarklets) doing this, but the forum here won't let me post javascript:void(window.open(location)) as a clickable link.

Hey look, there's a kluge for that.  Clap

It's funny (as in funny I'm stupid) but I tried pulling it up in another browser (which doesn't work) but never in another tab on the same browser.  I assumed that would log me out too.  Not sure why I thought that. Confused

Better than an update soon.  Thank You very much.

dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 03:29

Send the draft to yourself, then you can forward + edit it from sent mail as some kind of draft or template.   

@salarius, in chrome you can duplicate the open browser tab, and use the new tab to check something needed in the old tab.  Firefox has an extension doing almost the same.  There are also favlets (a.k.a. bookmarklets) doing this, but the forum here won't let me post javascript:void(window.open(location)) as a clickable link.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 02:22
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 02:16
How about a way to save drafts?  It's cumbersoe to start emails then realize you have to look up the name of a player/city or some stat so have to copy the mail, paste someplace else, switch to other screen, get information, switch back, copy and paste back, etc...

Why is the mail screen two display heights tall with buttons at the top and bottom?  Put all buttons together at the top OR make the screen one display height tall.

dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 00:47

LadyLuvs has a special concern because her players are newbs
But they are elite newbs.  I never had any player from this alliance in my chat block list.  And looking at you, this is the alliance where new players start to learn the research tree by heart, isn't it?  Wink

Edited by dunnoob - 13 Jun 2012 at 00:48
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 20:53
Although in some ways it would be nice to know if an alliance member is hit by diplos or armies, I think it's probably better for the game if such information is not automatically reported.  LadyLuvs has a special concern because her players are newbs, and extracting reliable information about what happened from newbs can be a time-consuming and frustrating process: 

"I was attacked!!!" 
 "By what???" 
"Attacked!!!"
"Military attack or diplo attack?"
"Ummm ..."
"Did you get a mail?"
"Yeah" and/or "I don't know"
"Can you forward me the mail?"
etc.

This interchange, while a bit frustrating and time-consuming, is an important learning experience and training for the newer player (as well as those in alliance chat listening in).  Having to take responsibility for recognizing an attack, reporting it and receiving advice or assistance is a good thing.

NOTE:  I love helping newbs! Nothing above should be taken to imply that I am anything other than delighted to assist in their development, including in responding to attacks, hopefully in a way that boosts their confidence and self-efficacy.

As for inactive or less-active players that might be the other concern of an alliance leader ... I have enough challenges on my hands without worrying about players who are not playing.  This is what the sitter function is for.

dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 14:11

Caravans and harvesting that stuff should only show up in Notifications.
Just in case, I actually open "begin gathering" mails, because I'd send a replacement a.s.a.p. if less or more vans are required to gather all available resources.  IFF this info is given in a notification I would not need the system message.  

Interrupts should still result in system messages:  Sometimes I want to know how much they got before I bumped them.  The "interrupted at" notification does not say who interrupted me, IFF I'd know that I would not need the system message.  The "begin returning" system messages are pointless, let those caravans return and bring whatever they harvested without system message; only their arrival at home could be milldly interesting (in a notification, not in a system message.)

The mail is overwhelming when sieging.
Indeed, one system message for the first bombardment telling me where I find the siege page, and later hourly reports when raze or capture are possible, would be good enough.

Also as an Alliance Leader I would like to know when one of my players is hit by Diplos or Armies.
IBTD, an alliance leader is no ersatz-sitter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic