Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvanced Attacking: a work in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 18:42
All these numbers are making my head hurt...  WELL DONE everyone out there that has figured this out!  Amazing!  (^_^)

"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Vanerin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 05:02
This is sooo awesome! Thank you so much Innoble for figuring this out and sharing it with all of us!
Marquesta View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 06:57
Thanks Innoble!
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...
scaramouche View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:18
Here are the links to the files you will need.

For the guide you will need a reasonably new version of MS word (one that reads xdoc) or you can't see the formulae.

thats me buggered then...i cant figure out how to use word
Bartozzi View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:24
Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

Here are the links to the files you will need.

For the guide you will need a reasonably new version of MS word (one that reads xdoc) or you can't see the formulae.

thats me buggered then...i cant figure out how to use word

Or, you can also open the file in Windows SkyDrive, which is kinda like GoogleDocs, Microsoft style. You just need a Live account, I think.
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 16:57
New version up. I made some changes:

-Attacking spearmen now have more accurate modifiers on most terrain (time will tell if they're exact)
-Cavalry has a 25% bonus defending on plains (not 30%)
-Cavalry has no bonus defending on small hills (unlike everything else, which has 5%)
-Did a lot of testing on small mountains. The current configuration should work well.
-The button is changed to Salararius' better minimization algorithm (if you use the macro version)

I still lack some good research on large mountains and buildings. The current modifiers are educated guesses based on very few reports. Large hills should be a bit better than these, but not that good also. All of these modifiers are in yellow. Will post 1.4 once I get all of them down. That may take a while. 

EDIT: Oh and thanks Mara for pointing out the small hills thing, among other comments. I do appreciate any help.

Edited by Innoble - 06 May 2012 at 16:59
JimJams View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 22:10
Thanks Innoble for the sharing, I will convert it to LibreOffice as soon as I can read it tomorrow at office.

As the tool will probably confirm my data about the oddity of "the more you are bigger than your enemy the more you lose units", could we all agree it should be changed ??
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 22:29
The oddity is a consequence of heroism and does not occur if you have commanders without it. I explain it in the word document at the end. 

I don't think it could be changed without seriously altering the way combat is calculated. 

EDIT: This doesn't mean heroism hurts you. It just helps you a lot more when you attack with fewer troops (down to about 65 sent...)

Edited by Innoble - 06 May 2012 at 22:30
Marquesta View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 04:21
I have to say that I am in awe of those of you that can understand how any of this works, much less write the code and make it work! After taking VB6 (how many years ago was that?) and gaining several hundred new grey hairs to go with the very hard-earned A I got in the class, I decided programing was NOT for me!
Having said that, I have a question Innoble; is there a specific reason that you only allow for 5 different types of units in an army?
And thanks again :)
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 15:43
Good question Marquesta.

There's no specific reason for it. You can only have 5 commanders, but I suppose you can have as many as 8 different types of troops . It wouldn't be hard to expand the calculator to allow for that, but it would maybe become a bit big and cumbersome. I suppose I could remove the camp troops part and make the troop-input part bigger, since there are no humanoid camps anymore. 

On the other hand factions are coming back at some point, so I will wait to see what will happen there. 

I think you have to draw the line somewhere though. If I expanded it to include pvp for example (which I could), there could be situations with hundreds of commanders and their troops. It just wouldn't be practical to use this type of calculator for that. It would really have to be able to read scout reports directly and I'm not yet able to do that sort of thing (maybe some day?). I know from a game I played before, utopia, that could do that. You could just put a report in the program (it was called crystal ball) and poof, it would set the calculator for you. Very nice. Maybe Illy tools can be setup to do that...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic