Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvanced Attacking: a work in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advanced Attacking: a work in progress
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 00:21
Hi there,

There's two reasons I do well attacking. The first is a good understanding of Illy mechanics and the second is my excel calculator. I will try to share both with you. 

Here are the links to the files you will need. 

For the guide you will need a reasonably new version of MS word (one that reads xdoc) or you can't see the formulae.

For the excel calculator you will need actual MS excel, not a mac emulator or something. I provide it xlsm format and in xlsx format. I added the xlsm one because it has a fancy button to minimize troops used (a macro).

The terrain modifiers I use are in both the guide and the calculator. The modifiers are good for plains, small hills and both kinds of forests. More rare terrain like buildings, large hills and mountains I am making progress on, but are currently not accurate. The green colored modifiers I am pretty sure of (100% in the case of plains).

For a small taste of what you can do if you use the calculator correctly:

Attackers:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Commander: Heavy IKnights Knight1Damaged for 99, 151 health remains.
Commander: Heavy IIKnights Knight1Damaged for 99, 151 health remains.
Commander: Heavy IIIKnights Knight1Damaged for 99, 101 health remains.
Commander: Heavy IVKnights Knight1Damaged for 99, 151 health remains.
Troops:Charioteers Charioteers107210711
Commander: LightCharioteers Charioteer1Damaged for 99, 151 health remains.

Defenders:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Troops:Ratlings Ratlings641964190
Troops:Rats Rats329332930
Troops:Elder Bucks Elder Bucks8898890
Troops:Diseased Rats Diseased Rats159415940

No, this is not a bug. This was first calculated using the calculator and then confirmed with the actual hit. For those who want to try it in the calculator, one of the knight commanders had 12% charge, rest was maxed on both heroism and charge, the troops had 15% bonus of course. Make sure you account for the T4 and T3 rats being switched for some reason. 

Obviously the calculator, attack guide and terrain modifiers are a work in progress. I will update this thread accordingly.

Enjoy!

Edited by Innoble - 06 May 2012 at 16:50
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 00:38
Awesome Innoble, and thanks for sharing so generously.  I will need some time to digest the guide, but many thanks for the rigor of your investigation and for your willingness to share the results.
Chadgod, Norman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 00:57
This looks good, thanks. Its just im not sure whats going on, I cant see the formulas Shocked 

Basic Attack formulae

For a simple attack of one type of offensive unit against one type of defensive unit it works like this:

Example: 100 charioteers on plains with a 10% bonus from a commander with charge 10 will have:

If the commander has 10 heroism he will have:

1. The commander base attack ( scales down when you have too few troops. The commander base attack can never be more than the total unit base attack (base means without the bonuses)

1. The commander attack always has a minimum of twice his attack, so a charioteer commander will always be at least 74 attack (2x37), even if you send only 1 trooper with him.

1. As you can see from the formula, the commander benefits from terrain and from his own division bonus. Assuming the division bonus applies to his own type of attack of course.

Edited by Chadgod, Norman - 02 May 2012 at 01:12
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 01:05
Well done!

I, for one, wish there were seperate scores for attacking players vs. Attacking npcs.

(not important for commander xp purposes, but sure would be useful to know for folks to know who has Real Pvp experience, not just npc grinding...)
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 01:21
Chadgod: Most likely you have an old version of MS word. I can't solve that problem unfortunately, unless someone else feels like converting them.

I think it is MS word 2007 you may need.
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 01:34
Well I'm using Libre Office 3.4, could that be the problem? 

It's pretty funny I can see all of the info except the formulas! Wacko
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 01:40
Originally posted by Chadgod, Norman Chadgod, Norman wrote:

Well I'm using Libre Office 3.4, could that be the problem? 

It's pretty funny I can see all of the info except the formulas! Wacko

Yep. And it's totally understandable that you can see all the info except the formulae. Equation editors are always pretty specific to programs. Any other program I could use to make them would have the same issues (namely, people not having that program). 

If the equations were simple i would just type them in, but they are too complex for that. I want to keep it readable so thats why I need a good editor. Word is probably most common one.

One thing I could try is convert them into pictures. That would make them uneditable, but then you could see them. Maybe later in the week if I have the time.

Edited by Innoble - 02 May 2012 at 01:40
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 01:47
Converting to pictures sounds good but if in the meantime someone is willing to take screen shots of the formulas for me I'll happily send some IG presents for your efforts. Thanks again Innoble.
Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 02:48
That's great Innoble. Thank you.

In my experience, cavalry attacking in buildings has -40% attack penalty.
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 08:13
Thats possible, even likely Bonaparta. I've had it at 40 for a while. I might switch back once I did some more testing. I have some new methods that make it so i only need a few good hits to be sure. Unfortunately NPCs don't often stop exactly on a building :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic