Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdvanced Attacking: a work in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HendelTheDwarf View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:21
Many thanks for all of your work on this!  I've just started reading it - will need to find some time to really dig into it.

Here's a link to a pdf version of the file - the link should work, message me if you have any problems.

http://db.tt/MRNI5xM3
Gasterix View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 12:54
I just learned a lot. Thanks for this.
Chadgod, Norman View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by HendelTheDwarf HendelTheDwarf wrote:

Here's a link to a pdf version of the file - the link should work, message me if you have any problems.

http://db.tt/MRNI5xM3

Yup, this works. 

Thanks.
Captain Ganoes Paran View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 16:35
Great work Innoble :) thanks
Cerex Flikex View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 17:23
Awesome, I'll have to check this out. :D
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 18:26
I've been some terrain testing for the last few weeks. I haven't gotten to forests or buildings yet, and I'm still trying to refine my calculations on large hills, but otherwise I'm pretty certain of the accuracy of my results.

For plains, I have a different result than you for spear attacking (which, yes, I see you have as yellow). My results for cav defending on plains is also 1% different than yours. I did several tests, and I'm pretty certain my results are correct, but I guess I'll check them again.

For attacking on large or small mountains, only 3 of my results agree with yours.
Innoble View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 18:44
Spear attacking may be wrong, you're right. Thats indeed why its yellow. I havent even tried that one so it's a total guess.

Also, cavalry defending could be wrong I guess. I have it within 1-2% accuracy. 

I had a hard time testing that and chose to hit some hits on rhino packs. I did notice that the defending bonus is slightly smaller than the offensive one. If you get 26% or 24% instead of my 25% that is totally possible. 25% seemed likely since I could fit most, if not all, of the bonuses in 5% increments. 

You have to be careful testing though. There are tons of little things that only give a very small error such as commander division modifier and terrain modifier. You can multiply those modifiers (1,15 * 1,30) or add them (1 + 15/100 + 30/100). The difference won't be very large, but it *will* give you varying results that may lead to modifiers that are slightly off. Not saying that that's the case, but be careful.

An easy solution is to use vanilla commanders. If that's what you're doing there should be no problem.

Also, I am pretty happy that 3 of those results agree on mountains as I have done very little testing on them! That means I'm on track. 

If you don't mind, share your results with me. Maybe I have some pointers or maybe you can help me out by finishing it up :)
Drydenn View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 01:53
TY Innoble & Hendel!  Thumbs Up

I shall now proceed to try staunching the upcoming flow of blood from my ears as I try to digest this.  
lokifeyson View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 02:39
Innoble is god of the calculations, he already predicted the amount of views this thread would get ;)
Mara Zira View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 20:53
Originally posted by Innoble Innoble wrote:

Also, cavalry defending could be wrong I guess. I have it within 1-2% accuracy.

I'm guessing that some of my results could be 1% off, too. I just thought it would be polite to let you know where we did get different results.

Originally posted by Innoble Innoble wrote:

You have to be careful testing though. There are tons of little things that only give a very small error such as commander division modifier and terrain modifier. You can multiply those modifiers (1,15 * 1,30) or add them (1 + 15/100 + 30/100). The difference won't be very large, but it *will* give you varying results that may lead to modifiers that are slightly off. Not saying that that's the case, but be careful.

An easy solution is to use vanilla commanders. If that's what you're doing there should be no problem.

I'm using 0 level commanders of the same type as the troop they're leading so that as few factors as possible are influencing the tests. I think some of the changes to the combat system may be making terrain testing more difficult as sometimes the only explanation I have for the results of several tests is that casualties occasionally round up now, even for single-type troops attacking single-type troops. Perhaps I'm wrong, though, and I'm overlooking something. I didn't think that the round-up effect was going to effect single-type-troop armies. I need to re-read that dev post. Smile

Edited by Mara Zira - 03 May 2012 at 20:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic