Topic ClosedFeudalism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fishymax View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feudalism
    Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 16:09
What about this one then>  It needs to be banged out guys to make any sense, but how about a feudal system?  I saw someone was talking about having areas of lands named after them, sort of like provinces, (which, by the way, is in my humble opinion an awesome idea, good call whoever came up with it), so how about a departure from the standard alliance system?

How about a feudal system with the King at the very top, and then varying levels all the way down.?

Perhaps different areas/(lands) that people could vie to be king of? 

Or a way of legally wresting power in an alliance, to make leaders over-throwable? 

How about having one city making you a landowner, but two cities within a certain distance of eachother slightly more powerful in some way, with eventually "William sans mates" becoming King of an entire 30 x 30 area of the grid, and everyone having to pay tribute to him in order for him not to kick bums?  Actually, no, that would just lead to more power for one individual.

Hang on, what about this...we could set up a system of parliamentary democracy, with an elected body to represent different jurisdictions...nah, it'll never work.  We'd just end up invading travian for their oil!Wink
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 14:17
I always loved how Rise of Nations used various factors to compute unoccupied land ownership beyond city borders, and the impact it had on gold income, access to special resources, and military engagement.  I don't know if such a system could really work here though.  If it did, it would provide a nice counterbalance to the benefits of clustering.  Control of more expansive area would be realistically worthwhile.
Diablito View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 15:05
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

I always loved how Rise of Nations used various factors to compute unoccupied land ownership beyond city borders, and the impact it had on gold income, access to special resources, and military engagement.  I don't know if such a system could really work here though.  If it did, it would provide a nice counterbalance to the benefits of clustering.  Control of more expansive area would be realistically worthwhile.

Jolly good idea.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 15:16
You guys keep tipping our "hidden dev list" hand!

We're planning on introducing an 'unoccupied land ownership beyond city borders' ability.  It'll be somewhat akin to the way civilisation does this with a "Cultural Output", and will largely use city population and research completed, topped up by an ongoing Research Point spend as the representation of "influence" on the land around you.

There'll be an output slider, colour coded representations on the map of the influence flow outside the city and various factors (such as defensive strength of a hostile blockade or siege), fog of war (yes, we're introducing that in the future as well) will be influenced by square ownership.

We're thinking of having some cities (alliance capitals) act as magnifiers for these effects, and maybe even some buildings / skills as well.

Anyway.  Not quite for this week or next, but soon (tm).
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 15:24
I think the problem, Stormcrow, is that you and I grew up on and loved all the same games...and this one caters to a crowd with the same inclinations.

I still do a mean Palmyran Bronze rush in Rise of Rome. Big smile
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 15:46
HM-- I'll bet you'll be surprised when my Mechanized Infantry units undock from my city (with overflight provided by Dreadnoughts)... :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic