Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Emoticons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Emoticons
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 06:15
Agreed. I believe all parties have said their piece and this has gotten way off topic and is going around in circles. I'm sorry for my part in derailing the discussion.

Closing this thread now.

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 06:02
Reading this thread and watching the behavior in GC, I have gotten some serious insight into the way so many citizens of Illy play the game. Thanks for that, but this has gotten a bit tedious by now. Can we go ahead and move on to the next subject of interest?
Bonfyr Verboo
Cerex Flikex View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 05:46
I did not expect this thread to keep going as it has.
The GMs already replied about what they plan to do with chat. To make an option to view the emoticons or not.
I enjoy the fact that they are race and gender defined.
That some people don't like it, well just one of the many reasons some people are not happy with them.
Can this end now though? Because really, what else can be said?
Subatoi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 01:05
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Originally posted by Subatoi Subatoi wrote:

And the most important point is, gender is NOT related to expressions of emotion.  Men are happy, women are happy, the smile represents this.  Men are sad, women are sad, the frown represents that.  Making men and women smile differently artificially emphasizes a societal distinction many of us would prefer to escape in a fantasy game.  The idea of having emoticons that fit the game environment is a fun one and a neat idea.  But until gender characteristics of our avatars begin to impact game mechanics (which I hope it won't!), I hope you will decide to respect the desire of many to control to the greatest degree possible their gender identification or lack thereof.

Pfft I have no feelings!

Then you won't need to use emoticons, will you? Wink
noo..

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 00:59
Originally posted by Subatoi Subatoi wrote:

And the most important point is, gender is NOT related to expressions of emotion.  Men are happy, women are happy, the smile represents this.  Men are sad, women are sad, the frown represents that.  Making men and women smile differently artificially emphasizes a societal distinction many of us would prefer to escape in a fantasy game.  The idea of having emoticons that fit the game environment is a fun one and a neat idea.  But until gender characteristics of our avatars begin to impact game mechanics (which I hope it won't!), I hope you will decide to respect the desire of many to control to the greatest degree possible their gender identification or lack thereof.

Pfft I have no feelings!

Then you won't need to use emoticons, will you? Wink
Subatoi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 00:58

Pfft I have no feelings!
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 00:49
Luna, the court system in the United States has multiple cases attempting to distinguish what is or isn't harassment or discrimination based on gender (or race, etc.).  These things are difficult to determine in real life.

If it's not blatant disregard for basic code of conduct or decency, then I'm not going to report it, and I would expect if I did report it you would probably not act on it.

Even if it's just a simple expectation that I will be less competent at (fill in the blank) because I am female, I would prefer not to encourage that reaction by shoving my gender in people's face all the time.  Sure, it's better for people just to get to know me and realize that I (fill in the blank) as well as anyone else but I'm really not particularly good at (that other thing), but that would only work in a perfect world, which Illy, as wonderful as it is, is not.

One of the great things about online gaming is that we can experiment with different ways of being.  For some of us, that includes de-emphasizing our gender so that we don't have to conform to gender roles -- or on the contrary, emphasizing gender more or even gender-crossing.  The point is, we want the freedom to do as we wish without having gender come up so constantly, unless we bring it up ourselves.

SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 23:41
This whole thread = (~_~)
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 21:55
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Originally posted by Quackers Quackers wrote:

So you should smile like a female human.

So men and women smile differently? I don't think so. You use an emote to get across some kind of emotion. So if you're sad you do =( to emphasize that because words are so emotionless. Gender however has absolutely nothing to do with that. That's why traditionally emoticons are gender-less. Gender is completely irrelevant to emotion. 

Yes we both smile the same, but on Illyriad men do not have hair. Women have hair. :P
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 21:44
Originally posted by Quackers Quackers wrote:

So you should smile like a female human.

So men and women smile differently? I don't think so. You use an emote to get across some kind of emotion. So if you're sad you do =( to emphasize that because words are so emotionless. Gender however has absolutely nothing to do with that. That's why traditionally emoticons are gender-less. Gender is completely irrelevant to emotion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic