Topic ClosedCasus Belli

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Casus Belli
    Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 00:34
The game appears to have unlimited resources and land for expansion.  So what reason is there for war?

The essence of human social activity is competiton for scarce resources - food, wealth, sexual partners for DNA propogation.  Here, no scarcity exists (ignoring the sexual partners aspect :)).

So this is Utopia and there is no need for war to take what the other clan has.  What's left to fight about?  Body odor?  Bad teeth?  Bad manners?
WildBill View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 00:47
world domination
rescendent View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 01:02
I get a much higher production rate if as well as producing my own stuff, harvesting the map, and doing quests - I also thieve and my troops raid your stuff...

This action may offend you and that may lead to war I suppose... Alternatively you could just send it to me in caravans?
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 01:17
But what is the point of hurrying and stealing?  Just because you can?
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 01:31
Because you're afraid someone else will do it first.

We are mostly at peace right now, but in a game like this, such is indistinguishable from cold war.  As long as one player can hurt another, we will all stockpile armament, strive to outperform our neighbors in the tech race, and eye every movement on the map suspiciously.  That, or preach love and unicorns until we're the first to get steamrolled.

Either way, the outcome is inevitable.  Security only comes through military advantage, and that can be gained or lost by the acquisition of plunder.  Throw in a few who just like conflict for its own sake, and you have a conflagration that will ignite repeatedly for the foreseeable future.  This present calm is merely in anticipation of the first shot...an event prolonged only by the collective fear and uncertainty of a populace unwilling to risk the rebuttal of neighbors with untested capabilities.
Chu-Cullain View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 02:43
"Conan, what is good in life?"

"Macrame. The feel of wet sand in your toes as you run along the beach. Making a box kite."
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 03:28
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Because you're afraid someone else will do it first.

We are mostly at peace right now, but in a game like this, such is indistinguishable from cold war.  As long as one player can hurt another, we will all stockpile armament, strive to outperform our neighbors in the tech race, and eye every movement on the map suspiciously.  That, or preach love and unicorns until we're the first to get steamrolled.

Either way, the outcome is inevitable.  Security only comes through military advantage, and that can be gained or lost by the acquisition of plunder.  Throw in a few who just like conflict for its own sake, and you have a conflagration that will ignite repeatedly for the foreseeable future.  This present calm is merely in anticipation of the first shot...an event prolonged only by the collective fear and uncertainty of a populace unwilling to risk the rebuttal of neighbors with untested capabilities.
 So I build an Army to defend myself from Seige and Bombardment from a player that is stuck in a 2 year old mindset of being compelled to take what I have because I have it?  The point of this is to defend against 2 year olds?Confused
jimbo_hawkins View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 05:57
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

The game appears to have unlimited resources and land for expansion.  So what reason is there for war?

The essence of human social activity is competiton for scarce resources - food, wealth, sexual partners for DNA propogation.  Here, no scarcity exists (ignoring the sexual partners aspect :)).

So this is Utopia and there is no need for war to take what the other clan has.  What's left to fight about?  Body odor?  Bad teeth?  Bad manners?

I would disagree with your premise slightly.

The world map "only" stretches for 1000 squares in each direction and our mines will (most likely) top out at level 20.  Therefore, there is finite space and there are finite resources.

Once I have maxed out my personal resource generating capabilities, I'll want more.  I can get them from a few sources - harvesting, trading or warring.  To gather the most resources from harvesting, I need to have a decent fleet for caravans, but even that appears to be limited to 40 per town.  Trading will only benefit me if it disadvantages someone else.  This may happen from time to time, but eventually an efficient marketplace will develop.

This leave warring.  I can convert my resources into an army and through skill I can take resources from another player.  Ultimately, this is what will have to happen if I am to maximize my production.

And isn't that the goal of life - to have more...
Wuzzel View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 09:21
jimbo_hawkins, you forget you can make more towns.
I dont know if there is a limit in towns you can make.
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 13:54
The resources are infinite even at level 20.  You just can't increase the Rate of Production, but a resource is never depleted.  The Rate limit could be a balance element.  Or to encourage a player to establish a new city.

But right now, it seems the reason for war is just to be a bully (the game version of Megalomaniac).

Since there appear to be no Victory Conditions, World Domination is not even possible.  Esp. since you can't destroy Capitals.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic