Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCongrats Tournament Winners!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 12:55
You mean 'Naper'?

Yeh that was epic - he really stole the win in style there - talk about an outside horse leaving the field behind! Big smile

But yeh I got respect for everyone in top 10 places, took some dedication and skill to keep up the effort for the whole month.
JimJams View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 14:43
Originally posted by GM Luna GM Luna wrote:

League E - Population 5k-2k
1st - Ahaliel
2nd - BenDover
3rd - FortchernKavanagh

Congrats not only to the winners but to all people who made the tournament more interesting.

My special mention to my alliance mate in T?, Ahaliel, a real player, not a veteran alt, who took the tournament seriously from day one and managed to stay on top even after the big final undead wave. He would make us proud even with a lower placement!!

I think the little guys in league E-F-G are really all winner, as it is not so easy to squeeze lot of army power from so little cities, even with alliance's support.

KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 16:08

Personally I though the ending to the tournament was utterly stupid.  There are plenty of people not in the top 10 who put a bunch of effort in only to be screwed by the way it finished (Yes, I'm a little bitter).

The way it was done required zero strategy or intelligence and had no way for anyone to influence the outcome beyond having already had a large army built up and being awake (or guessing that they should leave their army occupying a stone).

FYI Createure - Naper was actually in contention for a top 3 place through the most of the tourney and was pushing both canesRule and myself hard on the last few days - not exactly an outside horse, so well done to him.

"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 19:00
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Personally I though the ending to the tournament was utterly stupid.  There are plenty of people not in the top 10 who put a bunch of effort in only to be screwed by the way it finished (Yes, I'm a little bitter).

The way it was done required zero strategy or intelligence and had no way for anyone to influence the outcome beyond having already had a large army built up and being awake (or guessing that they should leave their army occupying a stone).

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it was utterly stupid, I get your point. This tournament felt more like a world event akin to the gates of Ahn'Qiraj in WoW.

Seemed like the direction was not focused and that the competition side was a bit neglected. However, would you not agree that a lot positive steps forward were taken in this tournament? The devs did a good job expanding the tournament to players of all levels and we finally got to put some points into seemingly useless commander skills like force of will!

I would agree that had I been in the top 3 in any league, which I never was, I would have felt cheated by the result too. That's understandable.

I think there are some ideas that could be implemented in tournaments going forward. I really do think that Kurdruk and Sunstorm were on to something with their player initiated tournament ideas.
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 21:08
Let me agree a bit with you that, let's say, there was too much free violence at the end, and this changed many rankings. Let's hope now that this violence was not completely free and we see some evolution (trade v2, factions, misteries, ...).

On the other hand, this balanced the chances of non American time zone players to win.

The tournament changed from benefiting those more active players (awake during the tournament) to those that had larger armies (and were relatively active too).

I must finally admit that it is difficult to set a good and fair for everyone tournament, and make everyone happy (it is not possible that we all win ...).

Thank you very much DEVS!

TH
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:08
Ending with a bang was better than just ending the lame trickle, but it should have lasted 2 or 3 nights for a) decimating effect and b) a chance to react to the changing circumstances.  Also, I do feel for the players who worked so hard for a month for nothing.  As little as I like reward being proportional to effort and activity above other considerations, I also don't like players being gulled into wasting their time and attention on a fool's errand.

To make the tournament truly awesome, the chance of survival to the end should have been very bleak for even the most powerful players even from the start, resulting in attempts to maximize production above all else and also developing strategies for endurance and maximizing experience to loss ratios.  Then some actual strategic decisions could have been made, like standing alone until wiped out or pooling forces but sharing xp, etc.  The key is that these are all decisions balancing tradeoffs and implemented on the player's timing/convenience.

Splitting into leagues was a definite improvement, and more easily implemented when competing at a player level instead of alliance level.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:16
I am not a US based player. So many sleepless nights and tough working days were spent during the tourney. Like Killer Poodle I feel a certain bitterness. Why hold a tourney over a month only to have the previous 29, or so, days work wiped out by 1 event. In the end I suppose it was a little like giving the chasing pack, in a marathon, motorbikes for the last 2 miles. I would really like to know how the tourney standings ended, without the final fracas.

Would the Devs be so kind and provide us with these standings?
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:44
Yes, but on the last attack we all got attacked by the same amount of troops, so the ones being on top that survived where the ones ending at the top. Of course, the ones at the top that did not survive went down ...
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:59
Providing they were able to get to a sq in time.
Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 23:04
Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

On the other hand, this balanced the chances of non American time zone players to win.

The tournament changed from benefiting those more active players (awake during the tournament) to those that had larger armies (and were relatively active too).

I must finally admit that it is difficult to set a good and fair for everyone tournament, and make everyone happy (it is not possible that we all win ...).

Thank you very much DEVS!

TH

First, do not assume that game night benefited US players. I'm a US player and it was distinctly to my disadvantage. I have to work for a living and all I could do was send an army somewhere before I left for work and pray it was alive when I got home, which in way too many cases it wasn't.

The time was of benefit to those who could be on and active during those hours. I'm not sure necessarily it mattered where you lived. What mattered is whether you had 'night time' hours to be around and be active

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic