Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCongrats Tournament Winners!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Congrats Tournament Winners!
    Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 21:16
Congratulations to all the winners!

A special hats off to harv2007 who placed in the top ten without the backing of an alliance!
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 17:12
Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

one thing you can be sure about Illy is to expect the unexpected.

So if the unexpected's expected then we should expect the expected.

That would be unexpected.
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 17:00
I tend to agree with the view that the bang at the end was just a hurdle to cross.

If both the guy in front and the guy after him survived the attack, then their rankings would have stayed the same. 

The clues did not hint at such a large wave at the end after small numbers throughout most of the tourney - one thing you can be sure about Illy is to expect the unexpected.

KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 15:22
24 hours are not sufficient time to make any difference at all.  There are so many ways the final hurrah could have been done to allow for strategy (multiple waves arriving at staggered times for example).

The information presented definitely did not hint at  "Undead numbers are going to be pretty pathetic throughout most of the tournament and then in the last hour you'll get more XP than in the preceding two weeks combined"
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 00:51
I think it is wrong to say that the finale of the tournament opened up the game to everyone and was somehow unfair to people who had put in many more hours than others.

The ending was just a hurdle to be crossed. If the guy infront trips then the guy in second has a chance at taking the win - it's as simple as that.

The only guy who is going to be complaining that it was unfair for the referee to put a hurdle there is the guy who trips over it - when really there is nothing in the rule book about not putting hurdles around the place.

Besides - I can count several different clues that gave me and i'm sure others a pretty firm idea of what was coming at the end. The devs told us undead would increase in numbers and strength throughout the tourny. Someone (I think Judy) posted the unit stats of the super-undead beasties at least 24 hours before the end in the Unit Types thread. We had a notification in the herald indicating something ominous was coming (massive mana surge at the rift) and then the mysterious messenger pretty much told us exactly what was coming at least 3 hours before the end.
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 00:10
Cerridwyn, in general, activity at night favours US players, that are awake and sometimes can be at home or connect from work. It is clear that does not mean all US players. But it is much more easy for them than let's say European players. Just check who is on GC at those times.
On my case, I had to send the troops before, when I arrived at home check it for 2 hours and then go to bed, to see the results the following morning. And I guess it was not much different to most European players.
If a tournament would only last for 1 night, then European players could stay awake for that particular day. But if a tournament lasts for 1 month, this behaviour is almost impossible.
 But of course, I was and I am talking in general, it is clear that every player has its obligations outside here.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 23:59
You are a celebrity, now, Shadow! ;)

Thanks for making this tourney fun and challenging!
shadow View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 23:21
Congrats to all the winners. I understand how some feel about the ending, all those nights for nothing. But then again, i spent 25 days as #1, fighting endlessly the final 2 weeks only to see my work wasted as well. Am i bitter? Hell no! When i lost my commander, i was in a pool, on a small vacation with my family. After all those nights, it was somewhat of a relief. Thanks for all the attention H?, i felt like a celebrity there for a while, with all the visitors. 

Naper was a star. As well as all our smaller members in the Illy community. He sat their patiently in the top 10 for most of the tourney, not drawing attention to himself, just watching  the leaders in league A battle it out. Then, had the troops at the end to take the win. Kudos to you sir!

It just goes to show that no matter how hard some of  community try to control things in Illy, only the devs really have control of the game Tongue

Edited by shadow - 19 Jan 2012 at 23:28
Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 23:04
Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

On the other hand, this balanced the chances of non American time zone players to win.

The tournament changed from benefiting those more active players (awake during the tournament) to those that had larger armies (and were relatively active too).

I must finally admit that it is difficult to set a good and fair for everyone tournament, and make everyone happy (it is not possible that we all win ...).

Thank you very much DEVS!

TH

First, do not assume that game night benefited US players. I'm a US player and it was distinctly to my disadvantage. I have to work for a living and all I could do was send an army somewhere before I left for work and pray it was alive when I got home, which in way too many cases it wasn't.

The time was of benefit to those who could be on and active during those hours. I'm not sure necessarily it mattered where you lived. What mattered is whether you had 'night time' hours to be around and be active

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 22:59
Providing they were able to get to a sq in time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic