Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedH? attacking players at Standing Stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Juswin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:54
Originally posted by LordOfTheSwamp LordOfTheSwamp wrote:

Oh - did I not mention in my second post having sent a few armies out? Maybe I thought it would be a bad idea to tell H? I was coming for their henchman? No no, that can't be it, that would have been prudent - and those of us outside H? are incapable of such rational thought, being mere "lemmings".

LOL Kurdruk. This is priceless. :))

I have to agree, its a bit unfair for a bigger player to hit a smaller player in another league so that his alliancemate can preserve his position or catch up. No matter how H? explains it, it does look that way, An army traveling over a thousand squares has to have some sort of purpose. Perhaps Nightury should explain himself as to what his armies were doing that far out.

Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by LordOfTheSwamp LordOfTheSwamp wrote:

And the other H-sponsored beneficiary of H's actions in that Division is out of the top 3 as well:

I hope that solves someone's complaint that only H was being strategic while the lemmings were being 'just so boring!' :P

Well done Kurdruk!
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 15:02
Well played, Kurdruk!
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 15:39
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Well played, Kurdruk!

This is Damage Control to Major Tom.....
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 18:42
Originally posted by StJude StJude wrote:

Well played, Kurdruk!

It's called good sportsmanship. Look it up. You might learn something.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 18:44
Yes, it seems like damage control... i'm sure the evil Kumomoto would be incapable of genuinely applauding someone for some decent, fun, pvp tourny competitiveness with himself and his allince - because EVERYTHING is a conspiracy right Judy?

Now where is my tinfoil hat? The queen is coming to tea and I don't want her to take my skin for making human suits for her lizardmen henchmen.

Thumbs Up
Silverlake View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 19:22
I think several of my alliance mates are brilliant, and have come to expect this type of post.  You know, where all H? members are generalized as being "evil bullies."   But we are diverse, and our domination of the B league proves that (7 of the top ten).  Let us not forget... it's just a game, and this tournament enhanced it.

Come on Jude, what did I write you when you destroyed my siege army?  "Well Played," I believe and it was far more sportsmanlike than what you wrote me.  H? does share a common trait where we recognize good game play.  You on the other hand only seek to get attention.  

Edited by Silverlake - 18 Jan 2012 at 19:29
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 19:49

It's called good sportsmanship. Look it up. You might learn something.

Oh the irony...../facepalm

You know what real good sportsmanship is? Not attacking players armies who were doing a better job than you were in a tournament.....

You know what even better good sportsmanship is? Not attacking players who are a fraction of your size.

StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by Silverlake Silverlake wrote:

Come on Jude, what did I write you when you destroyed my siege army?  "Well Played," I believe and it was far more sportsmanlike than what you wrote me.  H? does share a common trait where we recognize good game play.  You on the other hand only seek to get attention.  

Forgive me, I fail to see the "sport" in your alliance continually sending attacks and siege engines at one city that happens to be well OUTSIDE the 10 square boundary you declared after the fact.

You call it sport, I call it bullying. You would have seen more amicable mails from me if I wasn't on the receiving end of your catapults.....

Edited by StJude - 18 Jan 2012 at 20:07
LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 20:55
Originally posted by StJude StJude wrote:

Well played, Kurdruk!

Not strictly fair. There's no reason to think that Kumomoto didn't sincerely mean that.

So,

Kumomoto: thank you.

Now in general, if I can adopt a slightly less combative tone that that which prevails (and which I may grumpily have contributed to - my apologies if I did so)...

This situation allows me to simultaneously ride my two current favored hobby-horses (neat trick, by the way, which should further my rodeo career if I don't damage my groin... but I digress...)

1)

There are lots of ways that Illyriad can be played. It has to be played as a city builder, but after that it can be played solely as a builder, or as a wargame, or as a trading game, and there are early signs that it might also in future be playable in other styles such as as a mystery game (note the Mysteries), etc. However, the wargame approach, as the rules stand, will always trump the others. So, in the tournament just passed, most players played the tournament as a solitary or alliance-based building and planning exercise, often deliberately avoiding conflict or changing their approach to accommodate their neighbors. H? (and, I infer, a couple of other alliances) chose to impose a wargame approach on this where "of course" PvP combat ensued.

Now, this wargame approach was not the only approach - there was no "of course" it should go that way. Rather than unsentimentally attacking smaller players, there was a collaborative / respectful / deferential approach evidenced up in Wolgast between Frost, Absa and PA (I had several conversations wherein people were seeking to avoid inconveniencing oneanother); and earlier in this thread a similar approach was referenced between WE and another player; most people seem to have taken this more laid-back approach.

There were two approaches. Nowhere is there a divine writ stating that one is right and the other wrong. But the fact is that the wargamers had the power to impose their approach on the others - on, I think, the majority. The more laid back types cannot impose their view on the wargamers. 

Now, in this instance I believe - and I may be wrong - that the wargame approach rendered the tournament less interesting. But it's too late to moan about that now, and honestly I don't think it's interesting. What is interesting is that in this, as in so much of Illy, there rules put all the power in the hands of the wargamers. Ultimately, they decide how things will unfold.

2)

H? are the feudal lords of Illyriad. They have just demonstrated that they do, excellently well, what feudal lords did to maintain power - and what the current setup of Illyriad requires that people do in order to hold a dominant position of power: they wield superior military force with superior skill.

This is not a sycophantic piece of flattery, fawning before the "glorious monarchs". It is also not some sort of liberal or Marxian critique leading to a call for revolution against the "unjust oppressors". It is just a statement of how things are.

The point that I am trying to make is that people should not over-react, either way. It would be more helpful, if before either slating H? too harshly, or contrawise disregarding all criticism of them, people were to understand the dynamics and different perspectives.

There are different approaches to Illy; H? do what they do, and personally I think it was to the detriment of the game in this instance, but that's just IMHO; and this neither makes them heroes nor villains.
"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic