Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedH? attacking players at Standing Stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 23:14
I think it's possible to say someone made a mistake without throwing them to the wolves.  I said previously that I consider NightFury to be a friend and that I thought his action lacked perspective.  To be able to say such a thing in a respectful manner is hopefully in the best spirit of the game.  At the same time, I can understand H? preferring to say such a thing privately rather than publicly, or at minimum to communicate with their member privately at first.

By the same token, I think it should be possible to voice honest criticism of actions of H? members without being somehow "against" H?  That's a balance I've tried to maintain.
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 23:40
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Yeh the comparison with Azreil defending duq with the "we aren't going to throw a guildmate to the masses" line crossed my mind too judy. It seems like a favourite of yours to compare as much as you can to assorted VALAR incidents.

Perhaps you can't see the difference between 'one large guy knocking out the forces of a smaller player one time during a tournament for the furtherment of tournament goals' to 'one large guy constantly hammering/seiging all the cities of a small guy for weeks for no apparent justification other than a mixture of boredom/personal space'. I know I can see the difference between these two - and I suspect most of the rest of the community can too. I suspect you can too but it is convenient for you to try and draw these ill-thought out comparisons to try and further your inflammatory rhetoric.

And yes I did read HMs posts of course - and I realise that what I've said above differs. I am not a spokesperson for H? - I am just presenting an opinion for those who might wish to see things from a different perspective.

I quite like you Createure. You are consistent, which is something that I value.

Of course I see the difference between the two incidents, regardless, my argument is that we live in a world where we are quick to hold our fellow man or woman to a certain standard or set of principles, but are slow to apply those same standard or principles when it comes to our own actions. In this case, regardless of the circumstances, the underlying principle remains. Does it not? I believe you agree as you drew the correlation yourself.

As you should also be well aware, I have plenty of reasons to be outspoken regarding H? when a goodly number of its members enjoy testing their catapult aim on my city in a failed effort to coerce me into moving. The justifications (there's that word again) don't hold up to scrutiny. Sorry, that sort of activity wins enemies, not friends.

Lastly, when H? leadership comes out with poorly constructed arguments that are at odds with previous statements for their chosen course, this creates a lack of trust. Whether you like it or not, inconsistency causes people to question you. Insulting them by calling them Lemmings doesn't exactly heal the wound already opened, now does it?

Edited by StJude - 18 Jan 2012 at 23:42
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 00:14
@Rill: As the current #1 by alliance by population and as a self-confessed 'military oriented' alliance I'd support you view by saying it is more-or-less the duty of H? and it's leadership to take a good deal of criticism in good humour. Not that the same isn't also true for anyone else - just being at the top tends to put you in the spotlight w/regard setting an example.

@Judy: Following on from the comment above - I guess we all have bad days - if the worst you come out with on a bad day is calling somebody a lemming I'd personally call that a pretty good bad day. I know, we are the Illy community, and name-calling and such just doesn't hold water round here.... but "lemming?"... that just makes me laugh more than anything. ^^
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 00:16

@Judy: Following on from the comment above - I guess we all have bad days - if the worst you come out with on a bad day is calling somebody a lemming I'd personally call that a pretty good bad day. I know, we are the Illy community, and name-calling and such just doesn't hold water round here.... but "lemming?"... that just makes me laugh more than anything. ^^

Of the Swollen Nipple made me laugh and it was actually said in jest, and look where that got me?
Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 01:17
To summarize where this thread has went:  Nightwolf got overly enthusiastic in the tournament and attacked a smaller league player to help an alliance-mate.   By now I'm sure he realizes why this is considered bad to a lot of people.  The action was not sanctioned by H? but it's also obviously not something large enough in scale that they are going to whip him publicly for... nor should they.

I'm fine with this.  Resolved!  Time to share a beer and move on.. and send clay to newbs!  Happy Clay Day!

Jane DM
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 01:46

@Rill: As the current #1 by alliance by population and as a self-confessed 'military oriented' alliance I'd support you view by saying it is more-or-less the duty of H? and it's leadership to take a good deal of criticism in good humour. Not that the same isn't also true for anyone else - just being at the top tends to put you in the spotlight w/regard setting an example.

Actually - the crow coalition out populates H? now.

I guess it's down to Rill to be nice and we can be nasty now....

Shocked
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Silverlake View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 02:06
Originally posted by StJude StJude wrote:

Originally posted by Silverlake Silverlake wrote:

Come on Jude, what did I write you when you destroyed my siege army?  "Well Played," I believe and it was far more sportsmanlike than what you wrote me.  H? does share a common trait where we recognize good game play.  You on the other hand only seek to get attention.  

Forgive me, I fail to see the "sport" in your alliance continually sending attacks and siege engines at one city that happens to be well OUTSIDE the 10 square boundary you declared after the fact.

You call it sport, I call it bullying. You would have seen more amicable mails from me if I wasn't on the receiving end of your catapults.....
Jude, I was referring to Kumo paying an honest compliment, and you going off on a tangent, like you did above... 
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 02:24
Originally posted by Silverlake Silverlake wrote:

Jude, I was referring to Kumo paying an honest compliment, and you going off on a tangent, like you did above... 

I'll refer you to the earlier post with Createure regarding standards and principles and then ask you why, if you are so adverse to tangents, do you continually go off on them yourself?

I can be obtuse to.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 02:39
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Actually - the crow coalition out populates H? now.

I guess it's down to Rill to be nice and we can be nasty now....

Shocked

Ahhh ... but due to our cunning strategy, we are never all in the same place at one time.  As with all birds, we scatter when we attract unwanted attention, thus making it difficult to discern our true numbers or strength.

Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that ...
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 03:16
On topic for what it's worth:

We discussed internally about spicing things up - with the main focus on League A. As HM said we prefer to work smarter than harder (although catching Shadow and canesRule through the last two weeks of the tourney was the definition of hard work for me).

What we did not do, and for that I take full responsibility, was make it clear that the directors were thinking about this only for League A/Large Alliances.   And of course we are full of smart and enterprising members, one of whom saw a nice opportunity elsewhere.

I agree picking on small folk is generally not the best way to conduct oneself but is that single event worth all the cheat beating seen from our usual detractors? Of course not, however I expect them to continue to whine just as I expect night to follow day.

FYI - Peace and H? had some nice PvP going on as well. I spent the last two nights of the tourney organizing short notice clearances of occupied stones and dodging incoming attacks while still racking up enough xp to get within one undead army of the lead (until the final hurrah messed everything up).  And you know what - *it was fun*.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic