Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedH? attacking players at Standing Stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kitmub View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 09:21
i think the best question to answer is whether it is intentional

since from what i understand the big one has left their tow first before the smaller one because of distance or did i misunderstood something

just popping on and off
abit crazy also
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 09:39
Well, I am (at the moment in H), and I did not participate in any attacks to other players' stones (just hitting a couple of caravans :) 
And I was not very much aware of H tactic in the tournament (my fault, I guess).
But any way, I was attacked close to my capital (where I had sovereignity) by a member of Peac3 (shall we say names?) when I was sleeping on the 12/01/2012. He had to travel more than 625 squares. I won but lost more than 766 knights.

A tournament that only takes place at night (for more than 1 night) is a problem to "European time" players because we have to sleep some time ... 

Tordenkaffen View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 09:48
Its a sandbox yes? Its free for all, why then restrict the game by imposing moral codes to tournaments?

As it is, this very strategy might have impeded H?'s progress had anyone attacked their occupations at standing stones earlier, the scores might have been very different today.

In a way I think this thread is very descriptive of the current state of Illyriad.
Instead of small er alliances ganging up to "sabotage" H?'s tournament efforts, they (we) resort to complaining and resentment, in spite of the fact that there nowhere in the annals of Illyriad is any mention of a moral codex that should be upheld.

So this is not about doing right or wrong, its about how bad you want the T-Shirt, and without being disrespectful to anyone I believe this is a hint to smaller alliances that you will need to cooperate to beat the opposition, especially within tournaments where military prowess is a deciding factor and where wars are absent. There is nothing to fear so attack away, and dont expect others to play by your idea of a moral code.

With all due respect, Tordenkaffen
jordigui View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:00
Well, I am not sure if anyone at H really wants the t-shirt so much, or that the prestige is worth all these losses ...

Another issue is that if the tournament is aimed to kill as much undead as possible, attacking each others really prevent to maximize the number of undead kills.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:08
Torden, one of the things I like and value about Illy is that many players, including Harmless? players as well as players from other alliances, choose a code of conduct that is higher than that dictated by game rules.  Such an ethical system can greatly enhance the game, but it could also prove stifling.  Another thing that I like and value about Illy is that we talk about that balance.  I'm glad you've made your voice heard on the issue --  it's good to get a lot of different perspectives.
Southern Dwarf View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:41
I aborted the tournament last year after the most of my army has been wiped out by a player who did not read about the tournament rules and thought that she must look for the nearest activated stones and did not know that she was able to activate them herself.

But it is known that H? even camps Alliances they have a nap with to reduce the xp they get.
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 13:03
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

But a 50k pop player attacking a 3k pop player? That seems just cheap and dishonorable to me, tournament or not. 

And shameless?

LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 13:14
Originally posted by Eryn Eryn wrote:

I just had to step in on this - a member of World's End who is close to me and myself, have been running into each other the whole tournament. We must be on at about the same time and we both were sending to the same stones. Both of us would check to see if the other was sending their armies out. But you couldn't always tell if they were headed for the same stones. Some times he would take my army out and some times I would take his out. There were a lot of IGM with 'sorry, didn't mean to take you out' and 'oppps, looks like it happened again'. We both would apologize and try harder next time. NO hard feelings - it happens. This is a game not real life. I'm not saying that some times (with some players) it is on purpose but not ALL the time. 

Eryn -

One of the great things about Illyriad is that I get to share the game world with people like you and your WE neighbor.

Thumbs Up 

People like you make this game great. Thank you for being here. 
"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 13:37
I have to agree with Eryn. We clashed on stones a few times but as neighbors we have a good understanding. I cannot comment on other alliances tactics during the game but when it comes to winning, some people take it very seriously and will be very devious and underhanded to get the victory. As it was tournament I guess alliances worked together to get their players ahead of others. As the tournament went on for a while, I guess it is not so much a thing of "they killed my armies" but of why the hell your alliances did not kill theirs back.

Attacking players cities is just cowardly but attacking the stones seems like fair game to me. As to the final victor, everyone will know who actually deserved to win and who was helped to win. There is no glory in winning knowing you were not the best. The Global Chat and this forum will ensure information goes out and so the whole community will know. As to the outside world, they just do not care who wins so all that really counts is the opinion and respect of the people in Illy.

Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 17:11
My personal opinion: Like in the King's First and Third tournaments - H? sees official tournaments as a time for really competiting against each other in a 'safe' framework - I.E. we get to smash armies against each other and once the tournament is over we can go back to normal politics. And we have always made it clear that we would not hold anything against anyone else who chose to bring competitive pvp elements like this within the tournament framework.

This view is nothing new - i'm sure all you older players will recall that H? also brought player-vs-player elements (such as 'locking tiles' near competitors and placing occupations) into the second tournament which was widely considered a simple activity test/button bashing fest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic