Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedH? attacking players at Standing Stones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: H? attacking players at Standing Stones
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 22:48
I'll admit I would have preferred a a tournament where small players could excel on their own merits. But OK, we got a tournament where small players required their own merits + the support of an alliance. Fair enough.

But now it seems conditions for success are "own merits" + "support of alliance" + "not getting attacked by H?"

Is this part of a general H? strategy to attack players at standing stones, or was this player just "special"? Obviously not accidental - this required a journey of 1,000+ squares, so, what's the story?

FW: Failed defense by Lady Eira's forces at Square 21|832 under attack by NightFury's forces from 4. Astro82

Sent By:Lady Eira [Frost]
Received By:You
Date:1/16/2012 10:32:14 PM

wtf?!

> FW: Failed defense by Lady Eira's forces at Square 21|832 under attack by NightFury's forces from 4. Astro82
> Received: 16 Jan 2012 20:33
> Original Message:
Two opposing forces clash against each other.

Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.

Your army was driven back and enemy units have taken control of this location.

Your defending army was entirely destroyed at Square 21|832 by NightFury's forces from 4. Astro82

Attackers:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Commander: knight tempKnights Knight1Damaged for 59, 41 health remains.
Troops:Knights Knights682408274

Defenders:Unit:Quantity:Casualties:Survivors:
Commander: Elyoth Sureshield (Marshal)Marshals Marshal1Damaged for 200, 0 health remains.
Troops:Elven Trueshots Elven Trueshots102510250

"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 22:53
BTW, having just checked the reasons behind this, presumably H? were concerned that Lady Eira might have caught up with Sansoran. I'd have assumed that if both players had continued on their trajectories, this would have been impossible - Sansoran would have won anyway.

#PlayerTownCommanderXP
[-- ]
Sansoran [H?]Bel-EgeriaTannlore20681
[-- ]
R-Man [nCrow]THANK YOU !!!^ cupid ^18359
[-- ]
Lady Eira [Frost]Echoes-Of-Lost-VoicesElyoth Sureshield (Marshal)18086
[-- ]
Locke [peac2]KohlingenRichard17357

So...

If anyone can slaughter Sansoran's forces, then if either Locke or R-Man win that Division, I'll be sending about 20 million big thank yous to whoever's forces take out Sansoran.

"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 23:17
I'm interested to hear H? side of this, considering they have had questionable tactics in pretty much every tourney we've had. 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 23:43
It's part of a general Harmless? strategy, so don't take it personally.

H? already took out Starrbuck earlier in the tourney and may have been involved in trying to assassinate Shadow's commander (that bit is speculative, I have no confirmation).  I honestly have been surprised that there wasn't more of this in the tourney, but for the fact that it's mostly not likely to be very effective, since most players move their armies multiple times a night and the likelihood that a commander and army would be in the right spot to be hit is not that high.  Then again, maybe we only hear about the successful attempts.

A competitor scouted the city of a HUGS player who is high up in the tourney rankings, presumably to try to determine the position of his army.  Said competitor was NOT in Harmless?, so it's clear that other alliances have at least contemplated this action.

A tip of the hat to Lady Eira for her work in the tournament thus far.  Sorry to see it end this way.

Edited to add:  Shadow confirmed to me that he has been stalked by Harmless and they finally caught up to his forces.  This is probably what Kumomoto was crowing about in global chat yesterday.

Edited by Rill - 16 Jan 2012 at 23:50
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 00:40
But a 50k pop player attacking a 3k pop player? That seems just cheap and dishonorable to me, tournament or not. 
G0DsDestroyer View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 00:44
Do we know that the attack was intentional? 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 01:10
Originally posted by G0DsDestroyer G0DsDestroyer wrote:

Do we know that the attack was intentional? 

NightFury's cities are in Lan Larosh and Azura.  Lady Eira's cities are in Wolgast.  I somewhat doubt that NF was going all that way because it was the closest activated standing stone.  NightFury is my friend; we were in Toothless? together.  What he did was within the bound of tournament rules.  Nevertheless, it does speak to a certain lack of perspective.
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 01:52
It's a bit naive to not expect any PvP to occur when it comes to a tournament.

I think most players expected some sniping to occur in the form of attacks on the armies defending the standing stones themselves, in fact, there was a short discussion in GC regarding the length of time armies should be set to occupy. Those in favor of shorter occupy times were quick to point out that leaving your army there throughout the day was risky.

When this tournament ends, we may hear of other players who felt the heavy hand of H?. The question I will be interested in, will be, did any other alliance employ this sort of tactic?

Anyway, with all that said, if any of you happened to see Honoremule's ridiculous justification for this action, you need only look at the experience H? commanders gained in League A to see that they themselves also contributed to a pattern that endlessly punished those who have a life. Instead of promoting a viable alternative as they claimed, they reproduced the tactic they were so adverse to and added their own twist.

Again, I'd have a lot more respect if H? just said. "We don't like losing, so....WE R IN UR STANDING STONS KILLIN' UR DOODZ"

Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 01:54
I think it'd be more honorable if it were the H? player involved in that league alone that was doing the attacking... But that's just my opinion!
Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 01:55
I mean, where's the glory in winning a tournament because your alliance of big people strong-armed all the people in the smaller population league?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic