Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Undead Horde - Intro & Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sovereign View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 21:36
And for those who either cannot read or apparently have selective reading ability, I did also say that I was glad something was happening and that I did hope that it got better as it went along.  Among other things as well.  Shame how some people can be so hateful and only see maybe one line of text in a whole paragraph.  I guess that too is to be expected.  So, just bring on the animosity and the antagonism then.  LOL   Heaven forbid someone have a differing opinion and not be slammed after, much less an attempt to turn it personal.
~~Sovereign~~

"Dreams are the inspiration for the creation of man-made miracles"

Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 00:17
My armies have been destroyed more than once and I'm not whining, just rebuilding as fast as I can and sending them out again the next day.

Will I win, oh, no way. Will I learn from it, absolutely.

Browser games are notoriously slow paced. Even those with combat, it's not like playing an FPS. If you want to do that, go BUY one and play it.

Games such as Illy are as much what YOU put in it as what the Devs put in it. I salute Illy's Devs for:
   Making continuous updates to improve the game.
   Being around and talking to people on a regular basis
   And listening.

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 00:54
Regards the quality of the tournament design.

Though generally agreed this 'format' is not optimal, if we all understand that the tournament serves the secondary (primary?) additional purpose of AI development and hence future gameplay quality then perhaps this perspective will satisfy those disappointed.

To the Devs though: In gameplay development be aware: PvP will always be the superior gameplay style, AI will always be the poorer substitute.
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 09:28

Cavalry comes into its own when able to strike hostile forces at will, and from unexpected directions - and nowhere is this more feasible than on open plains. Lightly armoured spear units, however, prefer terrain where there's some cover available.

Fighting defensively on open plains, cavalry draws strength from the ability to form and reform their lines of engagement depending on the direction of battle, and it is here where cavalry excels.

Khraglang attempts to cast Infectious Bloodspray. This twisted magic has claimed the souls of 8 of the once-living troops at this location, and they have risen again as Khraglangs, attacking immediately!

So the Khraglang 'converts' a few of our soldiers and have them fight against us?

There were 301 khraglangs who converted 8 of my units (out of a few thousands) even before they could attack. What if I had only 8 units there? :O would the khraglangs have converted them and gone back with more numbers than they set out with? :O

Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:04
Well, in a small army that got a bit battered Ander the Khraglangs converted just 3, but in my biggest army they converted 7, I think.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by Sovereign Sovereign wrote:

Originally posted by Nokigon Nokigon wrote:

I have been playing this game for longer than most people here, despite my size, and literally days after I started playing in July the Devs told us that there was going to be Factions, ships, Trade v2.... You all know what I'm talking about. But d'you know what? They said it was going to be out in a couple of months. It's now a year later, more, and I still haven't had these factions. I don't care.
Since then, I have been waiting for the factions. I've gone briefly MIA, some times getting on once a day, sometimes even more. Lots of things kept me playing- the features at the present. People I met in-game. But possibly more than anything else, was the promise of the factions. I love the idea of the Factions, they're the sort of things I love in games. A rogue element, which you can control and use to your own ends. I love that! Pathfinding, toll charging, ships- I love that! I want it now! And I'm prepared to wait for such things.

This tournament is the closest thing I've experienced so far in my time in Illy that comes closest to being the factions. So what if this tournament maybe isn't the best so far- we're only three days in! And if I finally decided that I was going to stop playing, stop waiting for the factions, not because I was in an alliance which got destroyed by inactivity and a war, not because I decided I didn't like the game (which I haven't), not because I decided I couldn't be bothered to wait much longer, but because I didn't like the tourney quite as much as the others. Quite frankly there would be only one word which described me. PATHETIC.
Get a grip!

Anyway, rant over. That's a little bit off topic, and Luna will probably remove it. But at least I've spoken my mind.

I like your rant Nok.  Of course my point wasn't merely about the tourney but I can agree with most of what you say.  But as I put in another post, I do not want to see any more of my friends leave the game.  Call me sentimental if you like but I also understand their reasoning. 

There, that makes more sense. I can understand why people can get frustrated, since I am aware that you've been playing even longer than I have. But I do firmly believe that this is the closest that we've gotten  to Factions since August 2010, and as I said above I think that not many people would leave the game over a tournament, which is already getting more interesting- 300+ troops yesterday.
Raritor View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

Khraglang attempts to cast Infectious Bloodspray. This twisted magic has claimed the souls of 8 of the once-living troops at this location, and they have risen again as Khraglangs, attacking immediately!

So the Khraglang 'converts' a few of our soldiers and have them fight against us?

Seems the "Force of Will" will be finally useful then.

John Louis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 11:33
Hello everyone, and first and foremost Merry Christmas.

I start this post, I do not usually bother writing here, by advising all Illy players that other Illy players play the game too. I also take this opportunity to point out that mature humans, elves, dwarves and even Orcs MUST respect democratic principles - everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone MUST have their opinions respected. This does not mean you have to agree with others, but you MUST respect the fact that people are individuals and therefore everyone has their own thoughts...what kind of world would this be if we all thought exactly the same...pointless and boring (plus, we would all be occupying the same standing stones and the undead would be winning).
Secondly...I am in the same alliance as Sovereign I admit, but the criticisms he is getting I can only accept if they are coming from little children who do not know any better. Please, lets focus on the game and not personal insults.
WE ALL LOVE THIS GAME and all want to see it get better (yes, it is already good, but it can and must improve).
The only way for the game to improve is with player feedback, which is what this forum is for (more or less).
The Tourney is evolving and perhaps the criticisms labelled against it in the early days will be shown to be unjustified...or maybe not, we just have to wait and see.
Finally, we all want the factions etc to go live, if the Tourney is a way to prepare for this, that's good - but we are assuming this and I don't think we should assume anything. In any event, a Tourney is not supposed to be about testing bugs...it is to play the game. However, if testing bugs is going to be part of the Tourney then the Dev's should make this clearer (then perhaps they will be criticised less...or players will be more sympathetic).
What is not fair is that many Vets have left because they have been waiting for over a year for the promised features to go live, but all in vain. Many of my friends have left due to this and therefore I also resent the Dev's delays. This is a criticism, yes, but it is NOT unfair.
I'm still here, like Sovereign, cause I enjoy the game. But, there is a lot of stuff we have been waiting for...even developed strategies: i.e. build cities near rivers etc for ship building etc...all this has actually done is restricted the sovereignty squares I can claim (as no sov squares exist on water, at least thus far) and still nothing on shipbuilding. I could say a lot more, but I also wait patiently just in case what has been promised will soon be implemented - 1 year later and I am still waiting. Other players are not as patient as me.
I REITERATE, I really enjoy this game too, but I have my opinions which I will air for all to hear when I feel like it.
Last time I checked Illy was not Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany and so I am perfectly entitled to say whatever I want (as is anyone else) so long as it is done respectfully.
That is all that I wish to say for now...
Southern Dwarf View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 11:40
Godwin's Law :(

Anyway, my armies proved to be too small for my league which is only natural since there was never any reason for a large army. I acknowledge that this is my fault alone and wish all the other competitors better luck because I will never be able to compete reasonable further. One rebuild means that you are out of the competition :)

Edited by Southern Dwarf - 25 Dec 2011 at 11:41
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 13:39
Originally posted by Southern Dwarf Southern Dwarf wrote:

Anyway, my armies proved to be too small for my league which is only natural since there was never any reason for a large army.

There is now mate Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic