Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Undead Horde - Intro & Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 01:15
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Regards the quality of the tournament design.

Though generally agreed this 'format' is not optimal, if we all understand that the tournament serves the secondary (primary?) additional purpose of AI development and hence future gameplay quality then perhaps this perspective will satisfy those disappointed.

To the Devs though: In gameplay development be aware: PvP will always be the superior gameplay style, AI will always be the poorer substitute.

My _hope and desire_ is that the faction PvE will create a _game based_ reason for PvP, rather than PvP arising from personality conflicts and "I want the pail and shovel you're using in the sandbox" reasons for PvP action.

----

Interesting to see the combat magic and the expanded use of Force of Will.

----
I'd like to see the Faction trade hubs come into play - not that this fits the tourney....just my wish related to the my comments above.

----

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 02:12
And remember PvP is not for everyone. And my commander died again, got enough to level off it though. I hate dying when there is like only 1 or 2 of the bastitches left.

I doubt I will last through Jan 18th, but what the heck, I'll enjoy myself

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

LordOfTheSwamp View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 10:12

Though generally agreed this 'format' is not optimal, if we all understand that the tournament serves the secondary (primary?) additional purpose of AI development and hence future gameplay quality then perhaps this perspective will satisfy those disappointed.

I think this assumes that the *stated* design of the tournament is in fact its *true* purpose.

I see two ways to play this. One is "for interest" - to get to grips with new creatures, new AI, etc., to min-max army builds (composition versus time, commander types, etc.) In this regard the tournament is a success. In this regard it is an intriguing individual tournament.

The other is "to win". If you play to win, it is not an individual tournament at all. It is an exercise in alliance organization in order to maintain a war of attrition in support chosen individuals. And having watched some of the H? scores in the last 2 days, I suspect that Llyorn and H? know this full well ;-)

To the Devs though: In gameplay development be aware: PvP will always be the superior gameplay style, AI will always be the poorer substitute.

I disagree. PvP in Illyriad is just steamrollering. Very complex steamrollering, but steamrollering none the less. It's easy for an H? member to say this is "superior" when H? are preeminent in steamroller-driving. For those in the path of steamrollers, PvP is a vile experience. (Sorry for the clumsy metaphor, but I hope that this makes some sort of sense!)
"A boy is building sandcastles on a beach. You go and kick down his castle. You could say that it only reflects how you play with sandcastles. Others may think it reflects who you are." - Ander.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 22:11
I'm surprised by your characterization of PvP as steamrollering, Kurdruk.  I thought during the Christmas Challenge there were some interesting strategies employed by various alliances.  The alliances that had the most potential for "steamrollering" were not the ones that necessarily performed the best in the Challenge.  It's also true that the Challenge was not a situation of all-out war; however, hopefully it demonstrated the potential for PvP short of all-out war in Illyriad.
Cerridwyn View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 01:13
But it can be Rill, if there is no built in block that protects young. Example, in another game I play, you can only attack people who have a score of between 2x yours and 1/2 yours. So since I'm huge in that game, I cannot attack a new player, even if I wanted to do so.

PvP can lead to strategy and tactical maneuvers, but it can also be a simple curbstomp, where the player who has the time can be goliath and it takes a very clever david to bring him down.

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 02:16
I didn't say that PvP is never steamrollering.  I said that there is the potential for it not to be.  Hopefully a potential that people will see fit to encourage.
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 03:12
And there are plenty examples of pvp in Illy that were not steamrolling, Kurdruk. H? was significantly outnumbered by White when that war started and we still won through superior tactics and organization... Hardly what I would characterize as "steamrolling". And there are numerous other examples out there...

Edited by Kumomoto - 27 Dec 2011 at 03:13
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 03:52
The fact that every player is capped at 10 cities and every city is capped by it's food production means that no one player or group of players will ever be able to sim their way to an astronomical "curb-stomping" league above everyone else anyways.
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 17:19
The "Top of the Pops" style placement change indicator has been altered to be a comparison against  the previous day's placement at 18:00 rather than this time minus 24hrs.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 17:37
TC - you know there is some stones that are staying active uring teh day rite?

examples from today:

http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/258/535/10

http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-821/99/10

Not sure if there's undead spawning near these during the day aswell...

Edited by Createure - 28 Dec 2011 at 17:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
  Share Topic