Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSettlement Proximity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Settlement Proximity
    Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 17:42
H? has recently found itself increasingly involved in diplomatic discussions around city proximity.

While it seems as though most players are courteous enough to contact prospective new neighbors before they move or settle in their vicinity, we've also had to deal with folks who just don't think or even deliberately try to cause a problem.

To avoid future disappointment players who wish to move their cities or settle within 10 squares of an existing Harmless? city are advised to contact the player concerned and an H? diplomat/director before the move to discuss it and reach an agreement.

Thanks for your attention.

KP
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 19:27
notice taken.
i kindly remember that it's common use to pm the people you wish to settle close to.
of course, if you still settle after negative answer you may get removed from the spot.
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 20:02
10 squares? Really? I can understand not wanting someone within 1-4 squares to just pop up without mentioning it but 10? Come on now...While I'm not going to be settling too many more cities I'm not going to check the 99 squares around the spot to make sure there's no H? members around. I'll make sure I'm not grabbing that 19 food sov that's 2 squares from a H? member or any player for that matter but I'm not going to message them to see if I can settle and take the 19 food sov that's 10 squares away. 
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 20:27
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

10 squares? Really? I can understand not wanting someone within 1-4 squares to just pop up without mentioning it but 10? Come on now...While I'm not going to be settling too many more cities I'm not going to check the 99 squares around the spot to make sure there's no H? members around. I'll make sure I'm not grabbing that 19 food sov that's 2 squares from a H? member or any player for that matter but I'm not going to message them to see if I can settle and take the 19 food sov that's 10 squares away. 

You can easily see 10 squares in any direction with one move of the map slider, so your statement that it is somehow difficult to "check" the squares around the spot is ludicrous. One glance at the map is all you need.

Edited by Kumomoto - 12 Nov 2011 at 20:29
Gemley View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 20:49
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

You can easily see 10 squares in any direction with one move of the map slider, so your statement that it is somehow difficult to "check" the squares around the spot is ludicrous. One glance at the map is all you need.
I think Brids thought 1 map square=1 map slide
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 21:31
I dont think it is " 10 square rule" in classic sens.It is probably made to avoid situation where some hostiles might jump , or settle too close to H? cities.For most of peaceful players it will probably be alowed to settle within 10 squares after contacting H? player that was there.

Gilthoniel View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 21:40
When I recently moved my city I found that I was unable to locate into square that was within 10 squares of another city  unless that player was a member of the same alliance or confederated to it.

Although when I FIRST started out that rule didn't seem to apply. I had new players sprouting up everywhere. They still do I think.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 22:46
Gilthoniel, you can SETTLE a new city right next to KillerPoodle if you want, although I don't recommend it.  The 10-square rule only applies to MOVING a city.  Cities of new players can also crop up anywhere, including adjacent to an existing player, as Ryelle who is also a denizen of the new player ring can tell you.

I personally think the 10-square request is a reasonable one, although it may be hard to get people to contact diplomats or directors in addition to the player.  Perhaps Harmless? could make an alliance rule that all such requests a player receives are re-directed to directors or diplomats?  That would seem a more practical solution from the perspective of someone who works with new players on moving.  Trying to explain each alliance's rule about whom to contact for a move could get pretty complicated.

KillerPoodle, would you be willing to amend your request to contacting just the player? And have the player clear it with the chain of command?  I think that would make it much more likely that people will give you the courtesy you ask for -- it sure would make my "job" of explaining things to newer players easier.

Thanks!
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 01:19
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

I'm not saying it's so much difficult as it is ridiculous. A 10X10 square around a city means 100 squares minus the one they're sitting on. That's massive amount of land considering a player can have up to 10 cites and so I'm expected to ask if it's okay that I can move into that area? This could be so easily abused too. You've been eyeing up those nice sov spots 8 squares from your city, Bob wants to move there and you say no and that's it's too close. Not because it is but because you want to save those squares for a future city. 

Like I said, 1-4 squares, okay I'll respect that for anyone. More than that and it's just a ridiculous land claim. While I don't think I will end up placing my 9th city anywhere near any H? members, if I do, I'm not asking their permission to do so. 
StJude View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 02:14
Why?

Why is it a problem if ANY player is within 10squares of a H? player or ANY other player for that matter?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic