Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Step by Step Guide to Claiming Sovereignty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ector View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 10:35
Quote Ector, I think no one discusses it because this is an area where playstyles determine what is valuable to the player. For example, if you're a human who wants a big knight army, then sov that have bonuses for knight production or the production of equipment needed to produce knights would be valuable.If you want to be a merchant, finding sov that speed up production of high-price items on the market would be valuable. If you plan on putting 3 advanced buildings in that all have a high hourly cost in clay, for example, then a square with a high clay bonus would be useful.
The thing I've asked for is the list of the playing strategies and the corresponding souvereignty sites. Especially, how good is resource gathering bonus (20% max) compared to equipment bonus (40% max) and army building bonus (35% max)? Is it good to claim, say, two Cavalry bonuses, and no Horses bonus?
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilotov of DokGthung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 16:04
Originally posted by Ector Ector wrote:

Quote Ector, I think no one discusses it because this is an area where playstyles determine what is valuable to the player. For example, if you're a human who wants a big knight army, then sov that have bonuses for knight production or the production of equipment needed to produce knights would be valuable.If you want to be a merchant, finding sov that speed up production of high-price items on the market would be valuable. If you plan on putting 3 advanced buildings in that all have a high hourly cost in clay, for example, then a square with a high clay bonus would be useful.
The thing I've asked for is the list of the playing strategies and the corresponding souvereignty sites. Especially, how good is resource gathering bonus (20% max) compared to equipment bonus (40% max) and army building bonus (35% max)? Is it good to claim, say, two Cavalry bonuses, and no Horses bonus?

if you have big horse supply from other towns, why not?
still, depends on what race you are, so you can focus on yer prime weapons, your tier units
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 20:07
There are way to many options Ector, i doubt that someone can make list of all.Not to mention that many change their sovs very often depending on number of troop they hold at given moment.For exmpl when you lost all troops you can afford to lower taxes and change sovs to speed up training and advance res production to avoid runing low on weapons, and when you are maxed out with troops you use sovs to get more grain so you can increase taxes.Also if you have military buildings for lowering troop upkeep you will have to use more sovs for basic res production (not just grain)

Ector i see that you have some 300 pop, you will learn in time what is best depending on your cities location and troops you want to make in each city.Basicly your needs that will vary during the game will determent what will you use your sovs for, there is no way of knowing that in advance.
Zork2012 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zork2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 20:27
i have had many lv 2 or lv 3 sov squares, when at war I have made almost all of them quicken the production of military unit, usually cav, so I can replace troops quickly, but once the fighting slows down, i can quickly change those sov squares to speed up production of the equipment I need to make troops. Once I have a huge stockpile, I can again change the sov to work on resources or diplos or whatever.
lv 3 sov can be demolished and rebuilt in a short amount of time. Even with no production bonus added all sov gives a +5% production bonus for things other than resources.
Ector View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 22:15
Quote still, depends on what race you are, so you can focus on yer prime weapons, your tier units
Well, I'm a dwarf as I've told you :) Which units are "tier" for us, and what weapons do they require?

Edited by Ector - 28 Oct 2011 at 00:46
Ector View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 22:22
Quote Ector i see that you have some 300 pop, you will learn in time what is best depending on your cities location and troops you want to make in each city.
Sloter, I'm not going to build some cities at bad locations and then "learn in time" that they are bad.
I want to build my cities in the best places possible, and thus I'm trying to determine which places are the best. I'm a dwarf, and I know that I will go to war eventually, though I like trading too. Which souvereignty squares should I seek for?

Unfortunately, nobody answered still: how good are resource bonuses compared to equipment bonuses and troops production bonuses?

Edited by Ector - 27 Oct 2011 at 22:23
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sloter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 22:46
In perfect situation you would have cities in some biome, like jungle for exmpl, so you will have extra bonus for troops.You would have city on 7 farm square and good food sovs around you, also you would be surrounded by wooded terrain (or jungle) where your dwarf infantry+biome bonus will give good def and off against any siege.In same time your city on 7 farm city will allow you to train larger amount of troops cos you will have large gold income.

As for res bonus versus equipment i will give you answer in spirit of your question, res bonus is best one when you are low on res, quipment onus is best when you are low on equipment, troop training bonus is best when you are low on troops

On 7 farm cities you would have atleast 3 building of same type that would lower your troop upkeep, i presume that building for infantry uses more iron?So when you make many infantry units for exmpl you would use some sovs to increase your iron production (also try to settle on 7 farm that does not have low iron production, if i am right about iron usage for infantry military buildings)

Just my opinion,maybe some dwarf will give more precise info...Why you bother playing the game if you want all questions answered :) you just want to skip to the part of having good army?
Ector View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 00:55
Quote In perfect situation you would have cities in some biome, like jungle for exmpl, so you will have extra bonus for troops.You would have city on 7 farm square and good food sovs around you, also you would be surrounded by wooded terrain (or jungle) where your dwarf infantry+biome bonus will give good def and off against any siege.
But if my enemy knows about my biome bonus, wouldn't he choose to siege from the plains? It's almost impossible to find a 7-food square completely surrounded by forests. I've found an open place with good Cavalry production bonuses and no forests/hills around. Wouldn't it be better to build a town there and attack any besiegers with my cavalry? I don't know how good is the dwarven cavalry though...

Quote Why you bother playing the game if you want all questions answered :) you just want to skip to the part of having good army?
I don't want "all questions answered". I just want to avoid mistakes that would be very difficult to fix. If my cities are at the right places, everything else can be fixed more or less easily.
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anjire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 01:14
The jungle biome bonus will more than likely cover the plains sector 

example of a plains square with jungle biome

I have not seen an arctic or desert biome square that is particular habitable in the same manner that a jungle biome square can be.
Zork2012 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zork2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 01:17
Dwarfs are best with sword, your first sword troop should be made with a sword and a beer. these are your cheepest troops to produce, Elves have archers with a bow and a beer and Orcs have spearmen with a spear and a beer. Humans have cavalry with horse saddle and a beer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic